iHP-120 startup time???
Feb 11, 2004 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

KandieMan

Head-Fier
How long does the iHP-120 take to start up? I have the iFP-390T, and being flash-based it is obviously fast.. about 1.5 seconds to actually get to PLAYING the song! What is this length in the iHP-120, and is it VERY similar in other models as well (karma, iPod, etc.)?

Thanks!

Feb 11, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 8
Well i haven't used a iHP-120 yet but i can speak for the iPod. It has zero starup time because it never really goes off. The trade off for this is that the iPod is always consuming power even when it 'sleeps.'

- Justin

Feb 12, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #3 of 8
It's an oddity. It takes about 4 or 5 seconds I'd say off the top of my head, but I've never done the count itself. The other thing is it doesn't start playing when you've started the unit, so you have to wait for it to officially start up, then hit play again once its done, or it doesn't register.

Feb 12, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 8
5-15 seconds based on how many files are loaded onto the HDD I believe? correct me if i'm wrong.

Feb 12, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by refault
5-15 seconds based on how many files are loaded onto the HDD I believe? correct me if i'm wrong.

Yeah, I think it must have to do with how many files you have on it. When I only had like 15 gigs on my iHP-140, it only took like 5 seconds to start up, but now that I've got like 31 gigs, it takes a good 10 seconds.

Feb 12, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 8
ugh.. that's a long time for startup. When I had the e.Digital Odyssey it took 13 seconds to boot up which was a major complaint of mine. Feels like waiting on a red light when there's no traffic. iPod starts up instantaneously, but the trade-off being that it really never shuts down and only goes into sleep mode.. which causes a slow battery drain that will deplete the charge in a week or so even with no use.

personally, I prefer the ability to completely shut down a player so there is no battery drain, but I'd like the option of keeping it in sleep mode for days when I know I'll be using it off and on. For some reason no company has implemented this scheme yet.

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 8
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but Austonia, what happened to you borrowing an iHP off someone and reviewing it ? I am thinking of buying one later this year and would value your comments on it.

Although I have to say that if there is no major firmware upgrade between now and then I will have to think seriously about giving it a miss. On-the-fly playlists is just about an essential for me.

Feb 12, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by davvy
Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but Austonia, what happened to you borrowing an iHP off someone and reviewing it ? I am thinking of buying one later this year and would value your comments on it.

Although I have to say that if there is no major firmware upgrade between now and then I will have to think seriously about giving it a miss. On-the-fly playlists is just about an essential for me.

well, it just never materialized... The iHP seems to be the best solution for folder-based browsing, but there are a lot of things I don't like about it, so I never bought one. The joystick controller isn't speed-sensitive, so browsing long lists would get very tedious. The Line-Outputs don't seem to be true line-outs considering they are affected by changing the volume and DSP effects. The size and design is OK, but it is plastic construction. The remote is extremely useful, but most people have said it seems to degrade the audio quality noticeably. And of course there is no on-the-fly playsting as you noted. I will wait for thier next-generation products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back