iHP-120: Line Out = 2nd Headphone Jack?!?
Jan 24, 2004 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Traveller

500+ Head-Fier
It's not the first time the subject has been tossed about, but I've seen forum visitors reply that yes, there is no difference (=2nd Headphone Jack), other(s) that noted a difference in volume intensity. I personally didn't notice any bloody difference & line-out is also in the volume control path, pretty much negating it as a true line-out.

My guess ist that iRiver labeled it Line-out because it offers TOSLINK (digital-optical) out as well. I would have appreciated a true line-out because I don't want iRiver's relatively cheap volume-ctrl stage when I can use my class A preamp instead!

*Edit* Sorry, I missed this thread with my original search...
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 5
I can notice a difference right away, as far as sheer volume goes. No question. You will also notice that you can turn the volume to 40 using the HP jack and get no distortion, but you try that from the LO, and you get distortion at around 34 or so ? Anyway, what has been said, and true of Iriver products in the past, (IMP line) is that in order to properly utilize the LO is with an amp, and by turning the volume all the way to 40 in order to get the "pure" audio data".

Jan 24, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 5
Traveller, good thing you found that thread, im sure we dont want to go over this long statement all over again..

just for the record, when i plug in my PIMETA into line-in there's a huge difference in sound compared to headphone out

Jan 28, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 5
Btw, the answer to our questions, or at least more info towards it, might be in Head-Fi's post, Inside the iHP-120.

cheers
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back