iHP-100 new firmware out! (OGG)
Oct 23, 2003 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ProFingerSk8er

Headphoneus Supremus
yupp...just saw it on iRiver's firmware update page..

adds OGG and animation

link: http://iriver.com/support/download.asp

play_remote_ogg.gif
play_ogg.gif

Ogg Vorbis supports a bit rate of 32Kbps~500Kbps, 44.1kHz

those of you with iHP-100 hurry up and update and let us know what you think
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 11
"Improved the display of the Title Scroll when the mode is changing from MP3 to FM mode."

well...title scroll kinda = animation...
LOL
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm assuming that the upgrade will not affect the usage of MP3's or any of the other formats.... I was thrilled to find out that they will be releasing the Ogg upgrade for the iMP 350, until I found out that you have to choose between Ogg or MP3 because of the internal memory size or something. At this point, I'm not sure if I'll do the upgrade. What would push me over the edge is if they could fix the problem with seemless play. Not that the gap is that big, but that still affects the transitions for live concert files. If they fix that, I'll bite.

Oct 23, 2003 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 11
Yeah, I saw that one. Hmm..

Quote:

The Cirrus Logic EP7312 (iMP-250, 350 and 400) and Phillips SAA7750 (iMP-550) chips are capable of supporting Ogg file format. Unfortunately, the Ogg audio format codec size is extremely large for 8Mbit Nor flash memory. The iRiver R&D team estimates that customers who use iMP-250 and 350 might be forced to make a selection between Ogg firmware and MP3 & WMA firmware. This problem occurred because the Ogg audio file format codec needs to be installed on the Nor flash memory, but iMP-250 and 350 do not have sufficient memory space for an additional codec.

To me, that reads as if you have to choose between the 3 formats in question. Doesn't sound as clear cut as you make it out to be.

Oct 23, 2003 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 11
Aaah..yes. Now my blind old eyes see it. Thanks for pointing that out. Well gee, now

Let

me

think.

Which will it be...Ogg, or WMA. I'll need time to think abou...Ok Ogg it is. What a no brainer that was.

Oct 23, 2003 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 11
you only havta choose between WMA and OGG on iFP players...
iHP has larger memory for firmwares so OGG, MP3, WMA can all work on iHP

Oct 24, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 11
iHP user reporting:
Good news and not so good news about this firmware:

Good

1.) OGG implementation. It works. I have actually ripped a *selection* of my favorite songs in OGG. The sound is indeed impressive even when I ripped at 128kbps. Sounded close to 192 ripped Mp3's IMO.
2) Faster start up time. Maybe it's me. I feel its just tad faster now when I start from a cold boot.
3.) The player now resumes exactly where you left it (song) when you turn your player off. This was quite annoying before, but now it is fixed. Yay!
4.) Removed the UI bug where if you would go back to navi menu by holding down the joystick from the artist/title lists and it would give a partial text on the bottom of the navi menu. Looks like iRiver reads their forums no doubt
biggrin.gif

Bad

1.) OGG not implemented in DB mode. Note why I only chose to rip a selection of my songs. I dunno why they can't incorporate this. If you want to find your OGG files, they are found only through the file navigation option. Bummer. WMA seems to do the same thing.
2.) OGG files are not gapless playback. They have a gap of <0.5 secs I would say, but there is a slight gap from my tests.
3.) FIRMWARE updating resets all your player's settings. I've lost all my EQ settings, saved tuner stations, backlight settings, etc. Why oh why does it have to do that? I just wish it didn't.

Other noteworthy functions I happened to find:
I was playing around in the IHP drive last night, and haven't noticed this before. When you right click inside your IHP drive, you have the option to select how you want to sort your files, just like the navi menu. Finding a specific file inside a specific folder is now even more easier. Pretty neat stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back