iGrado's
Sep 23, 2006 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zeluiz22

500+ Head-Fier
I have to weigh in on the iGrado's.

Not to state the obvious, but anytime we are talking about "street style" or "portable", we are dealing in compromises. Nobody expects any portable phones to provide the imaging and staging of RS1's, Hd-650's, or whatever your full-sized poison. We can expect similar or better detail, but not much else over big cans.

Thanks to our consumer-friendly refund/exchange culture, I've been through Ety 4p's and 4s's (and the Er-6i (never understood the hype) , all the Shure's (e5c, e4c, e3c and e2c), UE Super.Fi Pro's and EB's.

I still own PX100's(for me, excellent)and KSC75's (sorry, but another pair of phones I find overhyped).

For me, the iGrado's easily beat all of these phones in both imaging and stage, while having superb detail. Again, this is relative. Compared to my Alesandro MS-Pro's, the iGrado's are just OK. But then again, compared to a good home system, the MS-Pro's are just OK.

You really do get a wide stage, excellent separation and all three dimensions of each instrument with these iGrado's. (I'm cuurently listening to Ted Nugent- Snakeskin Cowboys; just wrapped up Ornette Coleman- Beauty is a Rare Thing). Both gave me the (near) full character of every instrument, including the hard to hear pre-honk of the sax. Impressive for portables.

Best of all, for those who don't like carrying a man-purse around the City, you get these attributes w/o an external amp.

As for comfort, these give a nice, snug hug against my oversized cranium; I can run with them w/o discomfort or constant re-adjusting (unlike ANY in-ear I've used).

For me, as a portable phone, I give the iGrado's very high marks.

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 6
I totally agree. Yes, they look really dorky, and probably are too much money for most. But you know what? They really do sound better than anything else out there for under 50 bucks. Got them on Thursday at work, (thanks Todd!) and let some co-workers try them. Without exception they were blown away. They had never heard anything that good before. Alot of the head-fier's are a bit jaded about these, but hey guys, they're not bad.

Sep 23, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo
I totally agree. Yes, they look really dorky, and probably are too much money for most. But you know what? They really do sound better than anything else out there for under 50 bucks. Got them on Thursday at work, (thanks Todd!) and let some co-workers try them. Without exception they were blown away. They had never heard anything that good before. Alot of the head-fier's are a bit jaded about these, but hey guys, they're not bad.

They look OK in black- cuts down on the Alfalfa effect.
gs1000.gif

Sep 23, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for your impressions. I'm very, very close to placing my order, and every bit of feedback helps.

One question: Do they leak as much as the SR60s? I was listening to my 60s last night through my iPod, and it struck me how much they leak. This wouldn't be a big deal if the iGrados leak as badly, but I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjino
Thanks for your impressions. I'm very, very close to placing my order, and every bit of feedback helps.

One question: Do they leak as much as the SR60s? I was listening to my 60s last night through my iPod, and it struck me how much they leak. This wouldn't be a big deal if the iGrados leak as badly, but I'm just curious.

Thanks!

That's one drawback. They do leak and, by extension, let in alot of noise, making them difficult on the Boston subways. On the city street, in the gym, they are fine. They are sufficiently efficient to allow you to turn up enough volume to beat the noise.

Boston subways are the one place I've had trouble in. I don't know if you've been in Boston, but our windy, creaky subway system sounds like you're sitting next to jackhammer for the entire trip.

They leak less than larger Grado's (I've been through all of them) because the earpiece is smaller and the grill is less poreous.

Compared to PX100's, they leak alot more.

Lying in bed next to my wife, she hasn't complained, but that's at low volumes, but also with no envoronmental noise.

Sep 23, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 6
Just wondered what changes to the igrado sound might happen using the PA2V2 amp which really added a lot to my ksc-75.I felt the soundstage opened up and the treble brightened up a bit.Lots of forum people have been complaining about lack of treble on the igrado so perhaps the PA2V2 amp might be the way to go.Im going to buy these even though I found the sr60 to be to harsh for my taste and I intend on giving it a good 100 hour burn in and using the PA2V2 amp.I will post my results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back