iGrados-BrookR1 Mod : A Photo Guide :D
May 15, 2007 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

SONGsanmanwah

500+ Head-Fier
[size=large]WARNING: THIS MOD IS NOT FOR HOT-GLUED IGRADOS - SEE POST#2 BEFORE ATTEMPTING[/size]

Yesterday I modified my iGrados following procedures written by BrookR1, hence the name of this thread. AFAIK XXstatic first suggested removing foam from the earcup to open up the sound, and BrookR1 was the one who get it done. Both deserve a big hand.The mod is not too difficult and I was able to take pictures of each stage so, here's the guide for anyone interested in doing. Hope you'll find it helpful.

for tools, you only need a tiny flathead and a small phillips screwdrivers, first take out the pads

takeoffpads.jpg

use the tiny flathead screwdriver to pry open the plastic screw cover on the inner side of the headphones - not the chrome one on the outer side

getcoveroff.jpg

there's a phillips screw inside holding the driver housing in place

screw.jpg

the plastic cover has a gap to give direction, it's on the top side when you put it back

screwcover.jpg

remove that screw and the housing goes free, note that there are four locks keeping the driver cover and the earcup together

earcupout.jpg

from here we need to be quite careful, lift the driver cover with your fingers to create a tiny space between the cover and the earcup

liftingbase.jpg

insert the flathead screwdriver's tip into this space close to a lock and lift the cover up little by little to unlock, continue until all four locks popped free

prankopen.jpg

it's now possible to take out the driver and get the cable away from the earcup

wire.jpg

iGrados' driver

rightdriver.jpg

this foam pad is what we are after, take it out and clean up the remaining foam and glue if you care to, don't throw away the foam pad for someday you might want to reverse the mod

flipfoamcover.jpg

the naked screen

foamoff.jpg

reassemble

reassemble.jpg

when done, you can see the back of the driver through the screen

nofoam.jpg

whenever you feel the clamp's too tight, don't forget to do this

stretchigrados.jpg

LOL Now enjoy the sound! Thanks BrookR1 and XXXstatic for awesome mod!
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 17
nice..now its the time to get a pair of igrados

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This looks great, by the way. Nice photos. Begs the question, however, why is the foam in there in the first place?

to protect the drivers from dust etc..and did you try and recable the igrados?

Jun 23, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to protect the drivers from dust etc

It's also possible that they want to keep proper distance in sound quality between these and their former lowest rung, the SR60. Fine polyester net like the one on the front side of the driver should be enough for protection purpose.

I have no intention to recable mine since I like the tube part (above Y split) and want to keep this unique feature. Anyway, I have to admit I believe thicker and better cable will take the iGrados to another level though. So, recabled owner, I'm all ears for your impressions.

Jun 23, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 17
Anyone know the rough cost of a recable? It would be nice to have have a very short (2') cable for when I'm riding my bicycle and then just add a 4' extension for when I'm listening at work. Can headphile do this?

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 17
Nice....very nice hands I might add...but I cant figure out how you put your hands in that position...

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #11 of 17
Lol I was behind the camera in self timer mode, bending forward over it holding the phones against the backdrop. The rest of the pics were taken with one hand while the other held everything you see in them, now that was quite a task.
etysmile.gif

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 17
Thanks for the idea. I tried to think of other mods for them but I didn't want to mess with the metal grill. One idea I had was to somehow modify the drivers so they sit off your ear a couple of mm, but I think it would take away from the comfort. So I'm happy just the way they are. Surprisingly, I haven't had any problems with dust or debris entering the grills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back