iGrado
Oct 29, 2010 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jedthehumanoid

New Head-Fier
So this is my first post so Hi, Everyone!!

I recently had gotten a pair of Grado SR-80 headphones.  Needless to say, I was very impressed with them considering the price being only $100.  However, I decided to sell them because I wanted something a little more portable.  I basically wanted to have a chord that wasn't 6 feet long and a little smaller plug to go into my iPhone.  The big hang-up I have is that I'm not a big fan of iem/earbuds.  I find them to be a bit gross.  (Maybe my ears produce more wax than the average person but I have to clean them way too often.)

Anyway, after doing some homework (a lot of reading on this site so thanks for that everyone) I went out and got a pair of iGrados.  They are a great headphone for $50 and my head size is a bit small so they were immediately comfortable where I know some people have said that they need to stretch out a bit before they feel right.  Anyway, I'm getting off track.  While I do like the sound of them, I find they are a bit muddy.  I know there is likely a more ideal way to phrase this but I'm still catching up on all the terminology.  Anyway, I'm thinking about giving them the quarter mod to open them up a bit because I think this is what I'm in need of.

So, my issue is that I'm a bit apprehensive about how to cut the speaker cushion without creating a point of weakness that would eventually rip and permanently destroy the cushion. I know that you can easily get replacements but I'd like to get something more professional looking accomplished.  For the full size line of Grados it is very easy to get multiple different cushions fitted on them, but for the iGrados, there doesn't seem to be as many options out there.  I already sold my SR-80's via ebay so I can't confirm myself but if memory serves, I believe the cushions from the standard grado line wouldn't be combatile because they are larger correct?  My point of confusion is because I'm told the drivers in the iGrados are the same as the SR-60's...

Anyway, I'm basically just looking for suggestions of how to achieve a nice looking result.  I'm not above doing the mod myself but I fear that will lead to me having to sew a seam line into the hole to prevent ripping.  Anyone purchased replacements that they could suggest?  Perhaps there is a thread that shows good do it yourself pics? (I did searched but didn't find good pictures.)

Thanks for any guidance!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back