iGrado vs Koss Portapro
May 11, 2007 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

valveman

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of Grado iGrado headphones. I did an A/B test with my favorite portable headphones Koss Portapro.

Here is what I discovered:

Both headphones are incredibly comfortable with the iGrados weighing in a little more.

The iGrados have lots of leakage but that is Grado's open design so not really an issue unless the person next to you complains.

I found the Koss Portapros have much better reproduction of mids and highs. Much brighter and more realistic than the iGrado. This certainly surprised me given Grado's reputation. I found the iGrado muted in the mids and highs compared to the Koss. Bass response on the Grados is very good.

Both headphones are easily driven by my ipod so sensitivity is not an issue.

Overall my Koss Portapros kicked the iGrado's ass!

Something else for a design that is nearly 20 years old and still being offered by Koss.

Robert

May 11, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 13
You have to mod the iGrados (nickel mod + remove the foam from inside the grill) for them to open up. Once you do this, it's a completely different ball game. The PortaPros sound completely sterile and analytical compared to the full, lush sound of the iGrados.

May 11, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks BrookR1

I just returned from reading about the iGrado Mods. I must admit I'm a little apprehesive to do anything to them. I'm hoping someone will post some pics of the mod. I know I'll eventually mod them. Just want to get the courage up :O)

Robert

May 11, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 13
It's really easy...you can undo the mod if you wish. And if you nickel mod the pads, you can buy replacements from TTVJ for $4. I honestly didn't like the sound of the iGrados right out of the box. I thought the sound stage was small and the bass was bloated and the highs really muddy.

May 11, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 13
Hi BrookR1
I re-read your mod steps so just some clarification.
The pads that you are removing are behind the driver?
How easy does the ear cushion remove and are there any precautions I need to take?

So I need to detach the driver cases from the headband.
Remove the ear cushion.
Remove the driver.
Remove the pads behind the driver.
Reassemble everything.

Did I get it right?

Robert

I may do this tomorrow.

May 11, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #7 of 13
I think the pad is the ones on the cups that touch your ears. They cover the driver right now, just put a hole in them.

May 11, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 13
I did the quarter mod and didn't like it. The original foam is too thick so my ears got jammed between the foam and the frame.

So I got the much thinner foam pads from my Panasonic's and put on the iGrado, more comfortable, and basically as "transparent" as the thick pad with quarter mod.

Why cut things up when you don't really have to
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 11, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 13
we should all be ashamed here in Grado's backyard that the NYCers dont have an iGrado yet to bring to meets. I'd love to compare one, modded or not, to the buncha portables we have here!

May 11, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by valveman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Al-right so I'm going to eat Crow.
Now that I did the mod to my iGrados, they are now my favorite portable headphones.
Better than the Koss Portapro.

Robert

biggrin.gif
Glad you like them! It's a real shame that Grado handicapped these because there's so much potential behind that plastic housing. Out of my iPod, I prefer these to any other headphone. I still listen to my PX100s and like them, but if I had to choose just one, it would be the iGrados.

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 13
i would probably take the Igrado as well...but barely

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 13
I have both the Koss Portapro (thanks Brook) and the iGrado and my favorite is the iGrado. I find the opposite with the Koss sounding darker and the bass not as refined. Both are a pretty good hp for the money but the iGrado is a step up imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back