iGrado recable and impressions
Jun 18, 2011 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EvertonMint

Head-Fier
After having recently purchased a pair of Grado iGrado's, I soon became annoyed with the lack of clear top end and punchy middle, I tried every easy mod in the book (quarter mod etc), the only trick left to try is a full recable.

First of all, needed to find the right parts for the right price, I settled on the below:

1.5 metres of Sommer Square 4-Core 6.5mm (about 90 pence/metre), a 3.5mm jack plug (99 pence/metre), capable of taking 6.5mm cable diameter, I chose these as they were cost effective and easy to source (from Studiospares & Audiospares respectively).

Taking the iGrado's apart was pretty easy, this has been explained somewhere on this forum, but basically involves unscrewing each side of the headphones to remove the left/right housing, then use a small screwdriver to pop off the top of the housing on each side.

View of the solderable parts of the driver:

De-soldering and removing the awful Grado cable was pretty easy, as was soldering the new cable, note that the melted plastic by the ground wire (left) was 'done' in the Grado labs...

Cable & plug:

Obviously ensure that the left/right cables go to the correct speaker, solder the ground wires to the plug (twist together), pop on the housing and re-attach to the headband, the result is this:

So basically they sound much better, this is pretty standard OFC copper cable, not the amazing silver stuff, and has hugely improved the top end, given a nice punchy sound to the middle and tightened up the bass, they sound almost identical to the SR-60's, as they should do considering they have the same drivers...

So it looks like they weak component (physically & audibly), of the iGrado is the cable as suspected, they also also look really good as part my portable rig:

I would recommend anyone with a pair of iGrado's to replace the cable (if willing), as this really is a cost effective and satisfying mod (cost about £6.00 inc silver solder & heatshrink), that really isn't that difficult (was first time for me too).

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 5
I would recommend anyone with a pair of iGrado's to replace the cable (if willing), as this really is a cost effective and satisfying mod (cost about £6.00 inc silver solder & heatshrink), that really isn't that difficult (was first time for me too).

Hi! I am also planning a recable. I know its a bit of a hassle but can you please list where you purchased your materials from and the prices? I am also int he UK but cables etc seem to be inaccessible compared to our American friends.

thanks!

Jun 18, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 5
No worries, the cable is used is a Sommer square (called "The Square") 4 core cable from StudioSpares.co.uk is:

Sommer Square 4-Core 6.5mm Diameter  - Product Code: 546080

You could probably also use the Klotz 4 core cable on the same site, but is pretty much twice the price with no clear advantage.

The plug is from AudioSpares.co.uk:

Mini Jack Plug 3.5mm Stereo Large - Product code AS-CO-P-MJMS-J124 

The heatshrink and silver solder was from Maplins.

I was a bit apprehensive about the recable at first, but found the whole thing really straightforward.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
the newer iGrado's are said to have ear cups that are sonic-welded together.

I heard that too, and I have the iGrado phones that have the foam already removed from the rear of the driver by Grado (i.e. can see the back of the driver through the metal grill), and the ear cups were simply held together with plastic clips, just carefully pry apart with a small screwdriver and they pop off.

I bought mine about a month ago in the UK, maybe the US versions are different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back