iGrado or Goldring DR150
Apr 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ear8dmg

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting an affordable set of open headphones to fill the current gap in my arsenal.

New iGrados or used DR150s. DR150s are about 1/3 more expensive. Anyone heard both that can comment? I'm expecting the DR150s to be better but just how much?

Apr 30, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 6
Quite different sounds in my opinion. I had both, when i got the dr150 i stopped listening to the igrados due to cable complications. When i put the dr150 up for sale i tried comparing both by recabling my igrados with mogami starquad and the difference between the headphones was quite huge. Both headphones can be described as forward, but the dr150 compared to the igrados was more laid back. Both are amazing value for money though, the dr150 for a more refined sound and the igrados for an aggressive but full sound.

What i regretted was not keeping the dr150 to try with a proper amp though. Both of these headphones were heard connected straight out of a dac magic. If you dont need an amp however, i suggest you get the igrados.

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 6
why don't you go for grado sr60? they basically have the same drivers like the igrados
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by eroarex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why don't you go for grado sr60? they basically have the same drivers like the igrados
wink.gif

I'm in the UK. iGrados are much, much cheaper than SR60s - less than half the price. Another reason is I'm considering the iGrados as a jogging phone (I used to have a set of Sonys in a similar form factor that did the job well). Very unlikely to use SR60s for that (or DR150s, for that matter).

May 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 6
Well, got some iGrados on their way to me. £24.99 new from play.com. Will have to see how they do. Hopefully not too much of a come-down from the HD580s I borrowed recently.

I'm sure they'll get lots of use as a jogging phone. We'll see if the manage to fill my current open can void.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back