iFi Zen DAC vs Fiio E09K/E17 combo
Jan 23, 2022 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

marcookie

New Head-Fier
Hello,

after ~10 years (jeez it's already almost 10 years) of happiness with my Fiio E09K/E17 combo paired mostly with the HD 650, I have decided to revamp my headphone lineup and bought a pair of Hifiman Sundara. I spent the same money for the two headphones, 10 years apart, but was impressed by the improvement in audio quality in these years, at the same price tag. The Sundara is technically on a much higher level than the HD 650. Still love the Sennheiser for their warm fuzzy feeling, but technically they are on a very different level. So the question is... is it time to upgrade my DAC/AMP as well? How much of an improvement could I expect going from the "old" Fiio E09K/E17 combo to the iFi ZEN DAC? (I love music but I am a noob audiophile.)

Thanks

Feb 24, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 3
I own a Sundara, Schiit magni/modi stack, and a e09k/e17. Now, I have not plugged in my sundaras into the fiio, but magni/modi stack is more than capable and powerful to drive my sundaras. At my listening volume, magni at low-gain setting, the volume knob is at the 11 o'clock position.

All I'm trying to say is that you might not need to jump to Asgard 3... Magni Heresy can do wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back