Ifi Zen Dac v2 - not getting MQA out of iPhone
Feb 21, 2022 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rocdoc

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I went ahead and upgraded the OG Zen Dac to the v2. First off, it sounds better! And the channel imbalance at very low levels happens much lower in my unit, so BIG win.
One issue I’m having though: I was excited to get full mqa rendering from it. I was connecting the previous (v1) unit to my iPhone playing tidal via the apple camera adapter and then usb. So I was getting the magenta light for mqa. On the new version, I still get the same magenta light, indicating “original sample rate (MQB)” Not sure what this means but I do not see the green MQA light or blue Studio MQA light. I tried both with the camera adapter, and with a lightning to usb cable (skipping the camera adapter). Same result. So yes, I get MQA straight out of the phone, but, if I understand correctly, this still means that the zen dac is not doing the full unfolding. How do I get green, and especially blue, for studio MQA?
Thanks!

Feb 21, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 5
Actually, there is an update: when connected directly from lightening port to USB, I INTERMITTENTLY get at least the green MQA color. Does this help clarify what’s going on? Can it be the cable I’m using? I couldn’t find anything other than generic lightning to ISB cables, and it looks like they’re all USB 2.0
Thanks
PS I realized the thread title is misleading. I AM getting MQA, just seems to be unfolded in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 5
I have the same issue, and wouldn't have been bothered by it, except the demo unit I tried before buying correctly displayed blue for MQA Studio. So it seems it is possible.

The store demo unit was using the Apple Camera Connection Kit (USB 2.0) and I have the new one with power passthrough (and USB 3.0). Also, my Zen DAC has the latest firmware, and I don't imagine the demo unit has been updated at all. Plus there was a TIDAL update in there somewhere. So many variables! Might take it back to the store to troubleshoot.

Mar 21, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 5
Actually, there is an update: when connected directly from lightening port to USB, I INTERMITTENTLY get at least the green MQA color. Does this help clarify what’s going on? Can it be the cable I’m using? I couldn’t find anything other than generic lightning to ISB cables, and it looks like they’re all USB 2.0
Thanks
PS I realized the thread title is misleading. I AM getting MQA, just seems to be unfolded in the wrong place.
On the ifi website for those firmwares, it says in the release notes that the firmware with GTO filter will not change colour:

Release Notes – 7.3c – GTO Filter / MQA / DSD256 (Sub-version):
"All PCM LED colours will be the same colour due to GTO filter"

Nov 6, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks
Bro I am having and going thru the same exact experience and same questions you have. (You know how it is searching for answers in this place, so confusing lol)

Oh ya how and what cable did you use to direct connect without the apple camera kit?

I was comparing side by side v1 and v2 with a windows laptop.
v1 I do get the old magenta as usual.
V2 I don’t get magenta.
Funny enough I get blue at a particular song played, so this sound like it’s doing it the right thing. I suppose?

One more thing. iPhone or iPad, tidal doesn’t have exclusive mode so does this means the software still doing it’s unfold and not fully on the zen DAC unit doing the full unfold? 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back