IFi product set to drive Hd800
Apr 10, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #16 of 43
  IF you REALLY want to get the most out of it, trying going for one of the Audio GD balanced Amp Dac combos around $800, I've got the NFB 10ES2 and it gave my DT 880 some wonderful bass! [without a boost] very full bodied sound, seeing as the HD 800 is know to be bright maybe try it with one of the Wolfson Dac offerings

the Nfb 10.33 is set at about $580 dollars, and it should be a nice upgrade to the iCan. Granted you'll need to buy a balanced Cable, but at $600 [shipped] $200 should get you a great balanced cable to use with the amp! The nfb 10.33 is built to have an Analog sound, my hm801 is built with the same intent and I think it sounds wonderful with all my headphones, and I own 3 BRIGHT headphones, the HE 4 being one of the brightest

I think the 10.33 might be a good option for you, if your willing to go with a balanced amp/dac combo for home use

noted. although admittedly i am not so comfortable based on their site alone - of course that may just be me being too judgemental without grounds - but do they happen to have a US-based mortar and brick store or at least a reseller here?

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #17 of 43
  noted. although admittedly i am not so comfortable based on their site alone - of course that may just be me being too judgemental without grounds - but do they happen to have a US-based mortar and brick store or at least a reseller here?

Nope :/, do your reaserach though King Wa is a mad scientist of amps... granted the site is sketchy but shoot him a email and he responds pretty quick, albeit in broken english but he's legit. Ask any one on head fi about Audio GD amps. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #18 of 43
  IF you REALLY want to get the most out of it, trying going for one of the Audio GD balanced Amp Dac combos around $800, I've got the NFB 10ES2 and it gave my DT 880 some wonderful bass! [without a boost] very full bodied sound, seeing as the HD 800 is know to be bright maybe try it with one of the Wolfson Dac offerings

the Nfb 10.33 is set at about $580 dollars, and it should be a nice upgrade to the iCan. Granted you'll need to buy a balanced Cable, but at $600 [shipped] $200 should get you a great balanced cable to use with the amp! The nfb 10.33 is built to have an Analog sound, my hm801 is built with the same intent and I think it sounds wonderful with all my headphones, and I own 3 BRIGHT headphones, the HE 4 being one of the brightest

I think the 10.33 might be a good option for you, if your willing to go with a balanced amp/dac combo for home use

Since you gave never hear the iCAN,  you are assuming it will be a nice upgrade to the iCAN.  I'm not so sure (I guess I'm also assuming here too) - the iFi is really capable.    The Audio-gd could better, but I'm skipping the whole amp upgrade game and I'm saving my money for something truly unique. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #19 of 43
  Since you gave never hear the iCAN,  you are assuming it will be a nice upgrade to the iCAN.  I'm not so sure (I guess I'm also assuming here too) - the iFi is really capable.    The Audio-gd could better, but I'm skipping the whole amp upgrade game and I'm saving my money for something truly unique. 

... size usually doesn't matter, but comparing a balanced Audio GD Amp/Dac to the iCan... well they market to different people. the iCan devices have reaaly good reviews, and looking at their price range it's safe to say they are marketing to consumer and entry level users

where as Audio GD espically with there balanced products are aiming at users who are getting deeper into a high quality product. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #20 of 43
  ... size usually doesn't matter, but comparing a balanced Audio GD Amp/Dac to the iCan... well they market to different people. the iCan devices have reaaly good reviews, and looking at their price range it's safe to say they are marketing to consumer and entry level users

where as Audio GD espically with there balanced products are aiming at users who are getting deeper into a high quality product. 

Well, either the iCAN is a good deal or the Audio GD is overpriced.   If I was interested in buying an amp in the under $1000 range it would probably be the Crack.    Just because Audio GD is aiming at users who think they are getting deeper into the hobby does not make the NFB-10 a high quality product.    The fact that the NFB-10 is more expensive does not make it a better product than the iCAN...if you take the DAC away and call it the NBF-9, it would probably be in the same price range as the iCAN.  

But who knows, maybe the NFB-10 is better.  I'll look for it at the next meet I go to.   Try to listen to the iCAN if you get a chance -- you might be surprised.

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #21 of 43
Thanks for all the input guys, so far aside from my Ifi setup, here's the list i got from your inputs:

- Schiit Vali (+ byfrost)
- WA7
- NFB-10 
- Crack
- Schiit Lyr

Ive been doing research on all of them except Nfb and Crack, so two more choice to look up.  So far the I can setup has been singing with all of my cans and iems - but if for some reason I would feel it lacking compared to how the setup drives the other cans, then I will really have to pony up soon and get a new amp or amp/dac.

keep em coming please. all inputs greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #22 of 43
I recently bought a pair of HD800 headphones and I currently own a Schiit Vali and a Bottlehead Crack amplifier with a HRT musicstreamer II dac, so, no fancy stuff really. Anyway, to me the bottlehead crack is a more enjoyable listen but the Vali is also really good and for that money you can't complain to much. With that said I think the headphones sounds beautiful with both amps and I'm really enjoying them. 
In the store I also heard the phones with the HDVD 800 amp and a balanced connection. I was listening to take five to audtion them and the clarinet sounded kind of harsh on that setup, this is not the case with the Crack which seem to smooth things out. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #23 of 43
  I recently bought a pair of HD800 headphones and I currently own a Schiit Vali and a Bottlehead Crack amplifier with a HRT musicstreamer II dac, so, no fancy stuff really. Anyway, to me the bottlehead crack is a more enjoyable listen but the Vali is also really good and for that money you can't complain to much. With that said I think the headphones sounds beautiful with both amps and I'm really enjoying them. 
In the store I also heard the phones with the HDVD 800 amp and a balanced connection. I was listening to take five to audtion them and the clarinet sounded kind of harsh on that setup, this is not the case with the Crack which seem to smooth things out. 

Just curious how much work I have to do if I purchase the Crack Kit. Do I have to solder things? or just plug things here and there? Also would you recommend the speedball upgrade?

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #24 of 43

Well, either the iCAN is a good deal or the Audio GD is overpriced.   If I was interested in buying an amp in the under $1000 range it would probably be the Crack.    Just because Audio GD is aiming at users who think they are getting deeper into the hobby does not make the NFB-10 a high quality product.    The fact that the NFB-10 is more expensive does not make it a better product than the iCAN...if you take the DAC away and call it the NBF-9, it would probably be in the same price range as the iCAN.  

But who knows, maybe the NFB-10 is better.  I'll look for it at the next meet I go to.   Try to listen to the iCAN if you get a chance -- you might be surprised.

My point is Audio GD is an established name here on Head Fi, we all already know that King Wa designs and sells amazing amps for an amazing price.  It's a shame your not farmilliar with them, as long as you've been here on Head Fi, but it's reputation preceeds it

now iCan we know very little about, but let's look at the name, it starts with "i" chances are I'm betting there are aiming at the iDevice users, the people with the Mindset.  Now I could be wrong, but 

Schiit and Audio GD are both well known and small AUdio Companies know for making good products for a good price, I'd like to listen to an iCan device... still look at Schiit and AUdio GD of which don't ave a lot of advertising, again compared to iCan for which I see adds for quiete often. Based on the fact they iCan pays for an Add campagin

So there's my counter, based on the reputation and the overall preseance the two companies have, it's a little obvious who they are marketing to. King Wa releases something new like every 4 months, always improving his designs and sellin us the best he has for as cheap as he can. 

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #25 of 43
Hi Guys,  

although I will still get myself a  more powerful amp soon, I can report at this time that the iFi setup can pretty much drive HD800. Although Ill probably need more time to give more feedback on it. But for now, im in audiophile nirvana :)

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #26 of 43
  My point is Audio GD is an established name here on Head Fi, we all already know that King Wa designs and sells amazing amps for an amazing price.  It's a shame your not farmilliar with them, as long as you've been here on Head Fi, but it's reputation preceeds it

I am familiar with Audio GD.  Unfortunately, we can't try every model from every manufacturer out there.  I'm aware of their reputation.
  now iCan we know very little about, but let's look at the name, it starts with "i" chances are I'm betting there are aiming at the iDevice users, the people with the Mindset.  Now I could be wrong, but

I remember reading that the "i" stands for interactive.  I suppose they were trying to point out the fact that you can alter the sound by interacting with the bass boost and cross-feed switches.    They are aiming the iFi devices at computer audio users.

Schiit and Audio GD are both well known and small AUdio Companies know for making good products for a good price, I'd like to listen to an iCan device... still look at Schiit and AUdio GD of which don't ave a lot of advertising, again compared to iCan for which I see adds for quiete often. Based on the fact they iCan pays for an Add campagin

Well, iFi is a subsidiary of Abbingdon Music Research, a well known and small audio company known for making good products for a HIGH price.  One of the reasons I bought the iCAN is because it was based on designs by Abbingdon Music Reearch - they oversee the design and engineering elements of iFi's production.

So there's my counter, based on the reputation and the overall preseance the two companies have, it's a little obvious who they are marketing to. King Wa releases something new like every 4 months, always improving his designs and sellin us the best he has for as cheap as he can. 

And based on the reputation of Abbingdon Music Research, it might be not be too obvious who they are marketing to -- iFi is the micro computer audio division of AMR.   

Perhaps the NFB-10 is better than the iCAN (maybe not), but I would not be so quick to dismiss iFi products.

You can find some links to iFi reviews here if you are interested:
http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/news.html

And here are some reviews of AMR products so you can familiarize yourself with the brand:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/abbingdon-music-research-dp-777-da-processor
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/abbingdon/abbingdon.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/681706/abbingdon-music-research-dp-777-thread

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #27 of 43
  Thanks for all the input guys, so far aside from my Ifi setup, here's the list i got from your inputs:

- Schiit Vali (+ byfrost)
- WA7
- NFB-10 
- Crack
- Schiit Lyr

Ive been doing research on all of them except Nfb and Crack, so two more choice to look up.  So far the I can setup has been singing with all of my cans and iems - but if for some reason I would feel it lacking compared to how the setup drives the other cans, then I will really have to pony up soon and get a new amp or amp/dac.

keep em coming please. all inputs greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

My two cents if you do not mind:

By far the best pairing I have heard with the HD800 is the Fosgate Signature amp.

I have owned four Audio GD amps (two balanced 
blink.gif
) and really cant say they were bad, but I would not say they were great.

The Lyr is as good as the tubes in it, I would choose it over any of the Audio GD amps I have heard.

The Crack is ridiculously good with the HD650(I almost could not believe my ears), but I have not heard it with the HD800 so I cant comment on it (I wish more people would do as such).

The Vali is actually very good for the money, I first heard it with the Modi and thought it was good, tried it on my DAC2 and was really impressed.  But none of the mentioned are even close to the synergy the Fosgate Signature/ hd800 have to my ears. 

I do not think I have read anything negative about the IFi products, that is quite an accomplishment on here!

Apr 15, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #28 of 43
  My two cents if you do not mind:

By far the best pairing I have heard with the HD800 is the Fosgate Signature amp.

I have owned four Audio GD amps (two balanced 
blink.gif
) and really cant say they were bad, but I would not say they were great.

The Lyr is as good as the tubes in it, I would choose it over any of the Audio GD amps I have heard.

The Crack is ridiculously good with the HD650(I almost could not believe my ears), but I have not heard it with the HD800 so I cant comment on it (I wish more people would do as such).

The Vali is actually very good for the money, I first heard it with the Modi and thought it was good, tried it on my DAC2 and was really impressed.  But none of the mentioned are even close to the synergy the Fosgate Signature/ hd800 have to my ears. 

I do not think I have read anything negative about the IFi products, that is quite an accomplishment on here!

This is very helpful!  I think ill be saving my money for an upgrade amp.  The ifi's are doing great with or without the iTube mean time.  But this is not the Hd800 ive heard from a hifi audio store last time.  It is good - but you know - that feeling of - what if this is driven by a better amp? :D

if you dont mind, what's the music genre you listen to with the fosgate?  So far, the only genre (if you can call it that) that i find the ifi lacking on driving the hd800 are types where there's crazy bass line variations - like say dubstep stuff or 2cello's cover of thunderstruck.  Have you tested the combination with something similar?

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #29 of 43
if you dont mind, what's the music genre you listen to with the fosgate?  So far, the only genre (if you can call it that) that i find the ifi lacking on driving the hd800 are types where there's crazy bass line variations - like say dubstep stuff or 2cello's cover of thunderstruck.  Have you tested the combination with something similar?

I listen to everything, my tastes range all across the spectrum. The Fosgate has an bass boost switch that does not infringe on  the mids and highs, it is actually amazing how good it works. I  leave it on and do not mess with it with the HD800's, it really gives them a depth to the low end that I have heard with nothing else I have used with them.

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #30 of 43
  I listen to everything, my tastes range all across the spectrum. The Fosgate has an bass boost switch that does not infringe on  the mids and highs, it is actually amazing how good it works. I  leave it on and do not mess with it with the HD800's, it really gives them a depth to the low end that I have heard with nothing else I have used with them.

This is the amp right?  
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/fosgate-signature-tube-headphone-amplifier

it's a bit over my initial budget but, if it's something worth saving for, so be it.  The review says it's better suited for low impedance cans, does that mean it won't drive some of the entry level power hungry planars?   thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back