iFi: NOS6922 Valve/Tube upgrade set (new product announcement!)
Sep 26, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #76 of 81
It's all good. You are correct that I'm using the tubemonger socket savers there. I really like them, except they're a real pain to remove from the MJ2 sockets.

I agree. For this reason, I don't recommend them in that amp. It's too easy for them to get stuck inside the amp, not worth the hassle.

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #77 of 81
I agree. For this reason, I don't recommend them in that amp. It's too easy for them to get stuck inside the amp, not worth the hassle.

Not to be flippant, but I'm not sure I'd ever need to remove them. As long as the tubes can be removed the socket savers can stay right where they are. Is there a scenario I'm forgetting?

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #78 of 81
Not to be flippant, but I'm not sure I'd ever need to remove them. As long as the tubes can be removed the socket savers can stay right where they are. Is there a scenario I'm forgetting?

If you ever sell the amp, you would have to include them in the sale if you can't remove them and the buyer may not want them.

Also, I'm not sure, but if you have to send the amp in for repair, Schiit may give you trouble if they are installed.

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #79 of 81
If you ever sell the amp, you would have to include them in the sale if you can't remove them and the buyer may not want them.

Also, I'm not sure, but if you have to send the amp in for repair, Schiit may give you trouble if they are installed.

Ok, I did think of those things. Selling it is pretty dang unlikely, service also "seems" unlikely, but anything is possible.

Sep 28, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #80 of 81
While they are a pain, the easiest way I found to remove them is to use a tube you don't like (the stock tubes, perhaps) to gently wiggle the socket savers out of the sockets. Just insert the tube into the socket saver and wiggle in a circular motion. The socket saver will come out still attached to the tube once you get the technique right.

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #81 of 81
While they are a pain, the easiest way I found to remove them is to use a tube you don't like (the stock tubes, perhaps) to gently wiggle the socket savers out of the sockets. Just insert the tube into the socket saver and wiggle in a circular motion. The socket saver will come out still attached to the tube once you get the technique right.

Thanks tbish. I'm also wondering if you could use a loop of wire or thick thread, or perhaps two loops to gain leverage underneath the socket saver and pull it out that way. Would be tedious, I know, and of course you'd want to disconnect the power first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back