ifi micro iDSD Signature
Oct 9, 2020 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

cadgers

100+ Head-Fier
Can't find a price yet but looks promising with the 4.4 out and new color. Long awaited balanced update to the Black Label?

prodi-idsd-sig-header.jpg

More info here: https://ifi-audio.com/products/micro-idsd-signature/

Oct 9, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 13
If you own the iDSD BL already, would it be worth upgrading? I sort of doubt it, but I've got an open mind. Can't wait for the reviews.

1. 100mW more power
2. S-Balanced w/ 4.4 jack
3. USB 3.0 input instead of 2.0
4. Specs. look almost identical to the BL
5. Updated layout of jacks, switches, LED

Selling for 649 English Pounds. What am I missing here? Maybe it does sound even more amazing than the BL?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 13
Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 13
it should be 649 euro or 699 usd
its myr 3169 here in malaysia

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 13
it should be 649 euro or 699 usd
its myr 3169 here in malaysia
It is currently available for preorder for US$649 here in the US.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 13
Oct 16, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 13
My local (drug) dealer has it in stock.... 699€
Just got a BL and bought a Zen Can for the pentacon exit... Mulling sending the Zen Can back and get the signature....

Edit: dang it, just ordered one, will be sending the Can back and stay with one unit. Should be here on Tuesday....

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #9 of 13
Preordered for $650 US. Looking forward to hear your thoughts @aspirina750 !

@Condocondor I recently listened to the iDSD BL as well as the Hip Dac, and the s-balanced feature seemed significant. For reference, I used USB Audio Player Pro with a DCA Aeon 2 Closed. To be honest, I couldn't tell much difference between the iDSD BL and my Fiio BTR5, but I could tell a difference between the Fiio and the Hip Dac. It sounded a bit more "complete", without being forward-sounding or in-your-face. The presentation sounded great! I'll give you a more detailed comparison once I get my hands on it.

This being said, I doubt the S-Balanced feature is worth changing gear for, and to be honest, I don't know if much difference can be noticed with just a 1-hour listening session. As someone who has been recording music for some time, I'm finding that resolving sound is based on how much time you rest your ears... I have NO idea if that's scientific or not, but my music always sounds different the next day, and I can't tell if it's burn-in (which I can comfortably say does matter, since my guitar has changed its natural resonance), or if it's just simply I have rested my auditory system. In any case, will keep y'all updated on how it sounds once I get it!

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 13
Preordered for $650 US. Looking forward to hear your thoughts @aspirina750 !

@Condocondor I recently listened to the iDSD BL as well as the Hip Dac, and the s-balanced feature seemed significant. For reference, I used USB Audio Player Pro with a DCA Aeon 2 Closed. To be honest, I couldn't tell much difference between the iDSD BL and my Fiio BTR5, but I could tell a difference between the Fiio and the Hip Dac. It sounded a bit more "complete", without being forward-sounding or in-your-face. The presentation sounded great! I'll give you a more detailed comparison once I get my hands on it.

This being said, I doubt the S-Balanced feature is worth changing gear for, and to be honest, I don't know if much difference can be noticed with just a 1-hour listening session. As someone who has been recording music for some time, I'm finding that resolving sound is based on how much time you rest your ears... I have NO idea if that's scientific or not, but my music always sounds different the next day, and I can't tell if it's burn-in (which I can comfortably say does matter, since my guitar has changed its natural resonance), or if it's just simply I have rested my auditory system. In any case, will keep y'all updated on how it sounds once I get it!
Well, what do you make of the Signature vs. the BL?

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #12 of 13
Wow this thread died quick. iFi not gaining much traction with their new flagship transportable product launch. The market for portable DAC and amps seems to be gradually dying off. FiiO discontinued their most powerful portable amp, the A5, which has been part of their product line for a decade through multiple revisions and name changes starting off as the E12. iBasso has shed their dedicated amps to focus on their DAPs. Cayin has done the same. Both of those companieshave moved to modular DAP designs with snap-in amp modules.

Looks like Ray Samuels has also stopped making portables. His website looks like it hasn't been updated in ages. If he's still in business he must be barely hanging on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back