iFi Micro iDSD Black Label worth it? Do you use Portable DAC/AMP at home?
Mar 19, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #16 of 18
Is it worth getting the Micro BL or even the XDSD?

The price difference between Nano and micro BL is 100% basically if we are talking about new units. xDSD is cheaper. Another advantage with xDSD is that it has great synergy with xCAN if you would need amp later for one or another reason.

The thing is that all of those are running on batteries since were designed for portable usage. If you would like to go in desktop direction and you like iFi I would go with iDAC2. For now this is the best desktop option in micro range (while it is legacy product) according to iFi itself. I have it and I am very happy with it. It also gives you option to extend your setup further with iCAN SE or iTube2 for example (careful thou since in headphone amp setup iTube2 adds very little comparing to other options but you may eventually want it). iDAC2 handles MQA with latest firmware which may be important for you since you stream from Tidal. The thing with iDAC2 is: if you add up all possible pieces of iFi stack: iGalvanic, iUSB, iDAC2, iTube2, iCAN SE and iRack you will have similar price tag to Pro iDSD but without wifi features. On the other hand with iDAC2 or micro BL you can build your systems in steps. I went with iUSB micro for example since I use it with other devices like Mojo for example.

The other thing is that if you like iFi sound I would go and listen to both xDSD and micro BL than I would go and listen to something else just to convince yourself that this is the sound you really love. Hope this helps.

Apr 15, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #17 of 18
The price difference between Nano and micro BL is 100% basically if we are talking about new units. xDSD is cheaper. Another advantage with xDSD is that it has great synergy with xCAN if you would need amp later for one or another reason.

The thing is that all of those are running on batteries since were designed for portable usage. If you would like to go in desktop direction and you like iFi I would go with iDAC2. For now this is the best desktop option in micro range (while it is legacy product) according to iFi itself. I have it and I am very happy with it. It also gives you option to extend your setup further with iCAN SE or iTube2 for example (careful thou since in headphone amp setup iTube2 adds very little comparing to other options but you may eventually want it). iDAC2 handles MQA with latest firmware which may be important for you since you stream from Tidal. The thing with iDAC2 is: if you add up all possible pieces of iFi stack: iGalvanic, iUSB, iDAC2, iTube2, iCAN SE and iRack you will have similar price tag to Pro iDSD but without wifi features. On the other hand with iDAC2 or micro BL you can build your systems in steps. I went with iUSB micro for example since I use it with other devices like Mojo for example.

The other thing is that if you like iFi sound I would go and listen to both xDSD and micro BL than I would go and listen to something else just to convince yourself that this is the sound you really love. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply.

I know it’s best to go and hear a product for yourself but access to this stuff is expensive and limited sadly...

Im starting off with IFI cause of convenience but Ive read that there’s much better DAC/amps to hear but I’m still researching that and it’s overwhelming but fun.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #18 of 18
Thanks for your reply.

I know it’s best to go and hear a product for yourself but access to this stuff is expensive and limited sadly...

Im starting off with IFI cause of convenience but Ive read that there’s much better DAC/amps to hear but I’m still researching that and it’s overwhelming but fun.
You are welcome. Better or worst is relative. There are many variables and the price tag is only starting point. There is sound quality and signature but also functionality to be taken into account. The best way to choose right one in my book is to listen. The problem is: there are too many to listen :wink: and now it can be not only time consuming but also complicated or even impossible. As far as time goes by: if you plan to spend at least an hour daily per year listening to your setup for next 2-3 years for example, spending even a week on doing right selection makes a lot of sense IMHO. I'd start with budget limit and write down of all functionally needed. Even the measurements of device can be important but be flexible with it as it may turn out later that you don't really need some of functions. I went with iFi micro line since it does not occupy too much of space on my desk and it is modular (iUSB is used with Mojo too at the same time for example) I like the sound signature and SQ at the price tag. When connecting iFi devices together you can feel the synergy between them and it is hard to make wrong choice. Some people say that iTube micro is a disappointment since when adding it as a last step it does not increase SQ a lot. Indeed it adds just a bit, but as price goes up do not plan to have a night and day difference between stages, it growns incrementally and last steps can be very small. So while I agree that iTube adds only a bit (and in case of some settings you can barely hear the difference in headphone setup) and you have to wait a minute before it is ready when I removed it from my setup for a test I wanted it back immediately.

As far as micro BL goes keep in mind that some use it as AMP only bypassing DAC section so this is another possible upgrade path. The thing that finally made me pass on BL was batteries since I already had Mojo for traveling and I was looking rather for more desktop use yet with easy ability to move complete setup around if needed. On the other hand I know people who are using BL micro in desktop setup, running it for years from batteries or never using those and are quite happy with it.

Another thing about iFi micro devices is that they have a lot of switches (and micro BL is a champ here) so you can spend a lot of time checking out and finding out right configuration. This could be either great fun or very frustrating depending on your needs and approach. Some settings add very little so the may seem disappointing too.

Last but not least piece of advice: do not base your selection limiting only to technical specs. DSD512 is great example: check out music download shops and see how many tracks are available in this format. The selection is quite limited, so maybe you don't really need it for example?

The most important thing is to have fun and good luck with your selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back