iFi micro iDSD Black-Label - In-Depth Review
Dec 26, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #122 of 1,056
Our micro iDSD BL is a transportable device, designed to do as many things as possible. Yes, it can drive your HD800S and quite effortlessly. Yet Pro iDAC is on another level as far as headphones amplification goes. What you need to do is to answer yourself whether you need/want one transportable solution which does it all or are keen to push things higher and complete a desktop only setup over time.

Hi thanks for the reply, yes I am looking for an ultimate experience. Yet I want to stay on the portable side. I read reviews on head fi saying that the idsd bl alone as dac and amp is neutral and will still make the hd800s bright. I need the warmth and lushness of tube style. I saw people stacking the idsd bl with the new itubes 2. Would it be possible to have itubes 2 alone and my lg v30 phone? Plus i think i saw that you need to plug to a wall wich makes it not portable then.
Do you have any suggestions for amp that is close to a tube sound and lushyness at ifi?

And how close it will be in sq if we compare idsd bl + ican tubes 2 vs the stationary ican pro ???

Dec 26, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #123 of 1,056
Haven't been paying attention to reviews specifically mentioning HD800 or HD800s but I would not characterize it gets iDSD Black Label as bright itself.

Portable and ultimate are goals that are at odds with each other... If you want tube sound I think there are portable tube amps. No idea how well they pair with your cans (a known tough one to pair with gear).

Dec 26, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #124 of 1,056
Haven't been paying attention to reviews specifically mentioning HD800 or HD800s but I would not characterize it gets iDSD Black Label as bright itself.

Portable and ultimate are goals that are at odds with each other... If you want tube sound I think there are portable tube amps. No idea how well they pair with your cans (a known tough one to pair with gear).

Your saying the micro idsd bl is to bright for my hd800s. Do you know if i can stack the idsd bl and ican se so i wouldnt need to plug the ican se to the wall charger or it can get power from the micro idsd?

Dec 26, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #125 of 1,056
No. I am saying that I don't think of the iDSD as bright in general. And the bass boost may do good things to warm it up.

Now maybe the HD800s need something that is actually rolled off a bit in the highs. I only know the headphone by reputation (as bright and tough to pair with).

As for connectivity and need to be plugged in, check the product pages. Easy enough to Google.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #126 of 1,056
No. I am saying that I don't think of the iDSD as bright in general. And the bass boost may do good things to warm it up.

Now maybe the HD800s need something that is actually rolled off a bit in the highs. I only know the headphone by reputation (as bright and tough to pair with).

As for connectivity and need to be plugged in, check the product pages. Easy enough to Google.

Yes i checked it 1000 times already lol. I just see many folk saying that micro idsd bl + ican se is crazzy good stuff and it get lushy a bit smoothes the edges of the brigth hd800s. I tryed it jds labs c5d but i get distortion on high volume this is the reason why I am looking into something high end and portable. Its quiet challenging i have to say. And hd800s absolutly need that bass boost it life dependant on it or its sound bad on base though. When i used the 6db bass boost i could literally feel the hd800s rumble on my head was so impressed till i heard that distortion lol.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #127 of 1,056
I am giving serious thought about consolidating the various portable amps & DACs i have and i think this will be my next purchase. I want to use my AK120ii as a transport and it looks like the only connectivity option for my DAP would be optical, however looking at the combined SPDIF coax/optical connector, the size and shape looks like a standard coax connector and the only optical connectors i've seen are either square (at least on one end) or male at both ends but with a much smaller tip. How would that work?
SPDIF.png

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #128 of 1,056
I am giving serious thought about consolidating the various portable amps & DACs i have and i think this will be my next purchase. I want to use my AK120ii as a transport and it looks like the only connectivity option for my DAP would be optical, however looking at the combined SPDIF coax/optical connector, the size and shape looks like a standard coax connector and the only optical connectors i've seen are either square (at least on one end) or male at both ends but with a much smaller tip. How would that work?

This SPDIF actually is an optical input and coaxial output combo. The optical part of this interface is deep inside and an adapter is needed to use it, just like this one:

01500658_00_1024x1024.jpg

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 27, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #129 of 1,056
This SPDIF actually is an optical input and coaxial output combo. The optical part of this interface is deep inside and an adapter is needed to use it, just like this one:

Perfect, thanks for that! I think i may already have this adaptor at the end of one of my optical cables...thanks again!

Dec 28, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #131 of 1,056
Dec 28, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #132 of 1,056
Hi All,

How do we charge using smart power port? When I connect the device to USB through this port, it doesn't charge it and blue light remains off.However using blue cable, device is charging. The device was powered off in both the situations.

Thanks

Dec 28, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #133 of 1,056
Hi All,

How do we charge using smart power port? When I connect the device to USB through this port, it doesn't charge it and blue light remains off.However using blue cable, device is charging. The device was powered off in both the situations.

Thanks
If you are talking about the port that is on the side of the BL, it is used to charge your mobile phone or other devices. It is not used to charge up the BL. Use the port on the back end along with the blue cable like you said.

Dec 29, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #134 of 1,056
Can some one share some experience with sound signature of the micro bl. I whant to pair it with lg v30 and hd800s. Do you think the dac of micro bl is better then the quad sabr from lg v30?

Dec 29, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #135 of 1,056
Can some one share some experience with sound signature of the micro bl. I whant to pair it with lg v30 and hd800s. Do you think the dac of micro bl is better then the quad sabr from lg v30?

Yes.

Micro BL tends to be very wide and deep sounding, with a very organic and musical sound. It compliments HD800S excellently!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back