iFi micro and xDuoo xd-05
Nov 9, 2016 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

rawkesh

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I looked around and found direct reviews for iFi micro and xDuoo xd05. iFi is a bit of stretch for my budget but I am in love with it. Wouldn't mind going for it.

A friend suggested xDuoo xd05 but I haven't been able to get my hands on it to get a feel for its sound.

I was hoping if someone who owns the two of them could share their experience in terms of the sound quality.

I own a MSUR n650 and planning to get a beyerdynamic dt990, the open cans. The msur has low impedance and quite sensitive esp for treble.

If xDuoo comes close to iFi micro, I could save some bucks. But I can't forget the iFi experience.

Please let me know.

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 19
The iFi iDSD is a much better know product, which has a lot of users reporting good experiences with it.
The xDuo ... meh, not quite.
Could be very good as well, but the fact that after being in the market for some time, it captured little to no trace, could be a sign.
The only thing the xDuo has on the iDSD is that it's cheaper.
I'd personally go for the more expensive, but more beaten path.
The  experience I had with those 'eBay Class" DAC/amps, is that they almost all end up having some sort of issue (noise - mostly, bad pot, bad USB interface, ...).

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 19
Hotice, that's exactly my sentiments.

Do you own the iFi iDSDs? I will mostly drive it via Android OTG at my work desk. My song collection is mostly FLAC and Spotify premium for newer songs I feel like listening away from my collection.

Would it(iFi) be an overkill for my usage considering the audio file source?

Nov 9, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 19
I own the iDSD, and my primary (99%) source is Google Play Music (with $9.99 subscription - 320kpbs via web interface).
I was on Spotify Premium as well, but their lack of high bitrate on web interface, made me switch.
There is a long thread about the iDSD micro here on headfi, you can check.
I would certainly recommend it.

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 19
Oh, and there is a new Black version out ATM, which looks even cooler 
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 19
  HotIce, have you tried the Cayin C5DAC?

No I have not.
But, if you really not want to get to the iDSD Micro price, and you do not have low sensitivity headphones to drive, I suggest you the Sound Blaster E5.
Tons of nice features (Bluetooth and direct connection of Apple devices among all), and good sound there.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 19
My heart says go for iDSD but my brain is telling me to do my due diligence before I make the plunge. Just so my mind and heart will be in peace.

I want to mainly use it on my Android phone while at my work desk.

I am getting iDSD at ~$450 USD at a local store.  that seems like a good deal. I have to check if they have the black one.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 19
Very good you have a local store, because Android audio out can be finicky and depend on OS versions.
I successfully used the iDSD with iOS and laptop/pc USB outputs.
A Nexus 5X for example, failed to play to it.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 19
Ah.. I see. I did not have any problems when I tried on my Android 6.0 based Mi Max. But I will keep that in mind.

I have used Creative headphones before and my general impression about creative was that while they have feature rich products they lack the finesse on certain things. Maybe I am wrong.

I have a tried a bunch on sub $200 DACs and they all sound good but it doesn't sound day and night when compared with my default audio out from my Android phone. (using PowerAmp+flacs).

it was only iDSD that really made that world of a difference.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 19
Suggestion. Don't expect day and night, because, no device, at any price, gives you day and night. No matter what the device-fan-boys can tell you.
This, assuming the device acts as faithful sound player.
If it adds audio effects (or distortion) on top, then yes, of course, you might get day and night.

Nov 13, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #13 of 19
Suggestion. Don't expect day and night, because, no device, at any price, gives you day and night. No matter what the device-fan-boys can tell you.
This, assuming the device acts as faithful sound player.
If it adds audio effects (or distortion) on top, then yes, of course, you might get day and night.

Okay.. so I went to the store and happened to try out Mojo and now I am in a quandary. Mojo sounded more "musical" to my ears. iDSD micro is flatter but has details. Over a course of different genres both performed equally well.

What's your opinion?

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 19
  The iFi iDSD is a much better know product, which has a lot of users reporting good experiences with it.
The xDuo ... meh, not quite.
Could be very good as well, but the fact that after being in the market for some time, it captured little to no trace, could be a sign.
The only thing the xDuo has on the iDSD is that it's cheaper.
I'd personally go for the more expensive, but more beaten path.
The  experience I had with those 'eBay Class" DAC/amps, is that they almost all end up having some sort of issue (noise - mostly, bad pot, bad USB interface, ...).

A lot of those reviews were done with free samples given to Head-Fi members so calculate that into the equation.

I will try and get my hands (buy) an Xduo and throw my opinion into the ring

Users who are viewing this thread

Back