Ifi ipower plus - anyone?
Mar 1, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 9
Interesting! I've been using the regular iPower 12V on a bunch of my 12V gear and for certain components, it makes a huge difference. I'm curious if this would be a further improvement over the regular iPower. I've always been curious about trying an s booster power supply, but this may be a more logical step up from the regular iPower.

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 9
Based on your positive experience I would say yes.
I'm sure that some stuff can benefit from some more current, as the higher voltage ipowers are limited...
Anyway, it was nice to have some feed back from some people around who had tested it already.

Mar 16, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 9
Uptone JS2 I have will slaughter this no doubt. Little bit of price difference though. The W4S one is very good too but again 10x the price of IFI. I just tonight used JS2 to power Igalvanic+IUSB 3.0. There is a Jitterbug on there as well. They are connected to each other with a Mercury cable. Coming Out of W20 to Select DAC II with AQ Diamond. It sounds very good. I do not mean to be a jerk. I am saying I like IFI, but not their PSU's. Read, many broken ones too.

Apr 29, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 9
I just bought the regular ifipower and i want to know if i can connect that to a power strip instead of directly from the wall?

Jun 20, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 9
You can connect it through a power strip or straight to the wall. That being said, since it is not a linear power supply, and it is just a switching power supply, it can introduce noise back into the power strip. There is a chance that this could negatively affect other components plugged into the power strip. For this reason, I tend to plug it straight into a socket if I can.

One really annoying thing about this power supply, is that it is not grounded. Thus, for some components, you will get ground loop issues. I never really noticed it when I was powering my Geshelli labs DAC with it and running it straight into my power amplifier for my speakers, but running it into the geshelli labs headphone amp, I could hear a buzzing/ground sound. Touching the volume control on the geshelli labs amp made this go away, so it clearly is an issue with grounding. Using the stock power supplies for the geshelli DAC and amp, it is dead quite but it also doesn't sound as good as when things are being powered by the ipower. Of course, iFi knows about this, and sells a 50 dollar grounding kit, specifically for the iPower, kind of annoying...

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 9
You can connect it through a power strip or straight to the wall. That being said, since it is not a linear power supply, and it is just a switching power supply, it can introduce noise back into the power strip. There is a chance that this could negatively affect other components plugged into the power strip. For this reason, I tend to plug it straight into a socket if I can.

One really annoying thing about this power supply, is that it is not grounded. Thus, for some components, you will get ground loop issues. I never really noticed it when I was powering my Geshelli labs DAC with it and running it straight into my power amplifier for my speakers, but running it into the geshelli labs headphone amp, I could hear a buzzing/ground sound. Touching the volume control on the geshelli labs amp made this go away, so it clearly is an issue with grounding. Using the stock power supplies for the geshelli DAC and amp, it is dead quite but it also doesn't sound as good as when things are being powered by the ipower. Of course, iFi knows about this, and sells a 50 dollar grounding kit, specifically for the iPower, kind of annoying...
The Geshilli is sensitive to the power supply I found. The stock unit doesn't provide for a very good soundstage, but tonal wise is OK. Agreed the iPower doesn't suit the Gishelli. Batteries are very good, but need to dimensioned properly to gain at least 8 hours play time. Am trying to find 2 x 6V SPMS in balanced mode, center point grounded with a suitable common mode output filter to use for a BD Rom CD ripper as well as the Geshelli.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back