iFi IEMatch (and Custom) Max Power Rating?
Jun 18, 2021 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

fjlabs

100+ Head-Fier
For using my super high power headphone amps (e.g., Burson Conductor 3XR), I'm running an IEMatch for the 1/4" port. For the XLR balanced, I'm running a similar custom circuit (U-Pad) using 12Ω resistors in series and a 1Ω resistor in parallel.

1624069697819.png

From my understanding, this is effectively the same circuit that's in the iFi IEMatch but simply with different resistor values. Both my custom attenuator and IEMatch work perfectly at lower powers.

Running my Conductor 3XR Single Ended (3.5W Max) at High Gain and volume @ 80, with no headphones plugged in, the IEMatch gets quite hot in 2 minutes of playing a bass-heavy track. Running balanced with 7W Max in the same settings, my custom attenuator gets ridiculously hot too and can't be touched.

My custom XLR attenuator runs on 1W MELF resistors, so definitely under the 7W Max Output, so the heat makes sense. From teardowns, it seems like the IEMatch is running similar ratings. However, I couldn't find the "max power rating" for the iEMatch anywhere.

Anyone know what's the max "safe" power to run through the IEMatch? Similarly, anyone know how to calculate power running through those resistors, assuming I know output VRMS of the amp at a given value?

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 2
Snap edit.

Was thinking about the circuit a little bit more. To the amp and resistors, unloaded it looks like a single series resistor across a voltage source, even for balanced. Therefore, for my 12Ω+12Ω+1Ω attenuator, the amp is seeing a constant 25Ω load.

My Conductor 3XR quotes:

- 16Ω -> 7.5W
- 32Ω -> 5W

Since P = V^2/R, V≈10V RMS. Therefore, I'm probably running 4W through my 25Ω load at full tilt, probably ~2W at HI 80... would explain the heat.

Good things these resistors as temperature stable I suppose...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back