IFI IDSD micro, wich headphones do you prefer to use with iDSD micro?
Mar 2, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 55
One of my favorite pairings has been with a Grado PS500 and PS1000.  This was with just the internal amp.  The lean and mean amp section of the iDSD paired well with the warm Grados.  I'm trying new things now but I am probably going to return to either one in the near future.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 55
One of my favorite pairings has been with a Grado PS500 and PS1000.  This was with just the internal amp.  The lean and mean amp section of the iDSD paired well with the warm Grados.  I'm trying new things now but I am probably going to return to either one in the near future.

I have so far only listened with Grado SR 325e. both Grado and iDSD is new and I guess they will change little with burn-in. it already sounds good but with 3D so treble is a bit hot.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 55
HD800s. Synergized with the DAC section of the iDSD micro the sound is microscopic, resolving and on the tad side of warm. In fact, if the iDSD was any warmer I probably wouldn't want it, but as it is it's just right. I still get to hear if it's a bad recording or a good one. So, there's no overt colorization to the sound. Moreoever, the iDSD micro has no sibilance to impart to the sound. Only if it's in the original recording.

Take note, however, that I use an external headphone amp, one that I consider the best I've ever heard. On the other hand there are tons of accolades I could push upon the iCAN, using the same rig.

For what it's worth the iCAN Pro has similar specs to my current HP amp. Now, that's only on paper, so take that with a salt lick...but iFi has never been known for big promises and short on keeping them.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 55
I have not heard the SR-325is/e yet.  The PS500 and PS1000 are not so treble tilted so that may be why I like those particular Grados with the iFi iDSD.   

Quote:
I have so far only listened with Grado SR 325e. both Grado and iDSD is new and I guess they will change little with burn-in. it already sounds good but with 3D so treble is a bit hot.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 55
If you don't mind me asking, which amp are you using?  I'm probably going to get an amp to pair with the HD800 after I get my tax return.  I was looking in the range of $500-1000, maybe a little more if justified.  

Other amps I have used with the HD800, but with a different DAC, included:  V200, Decware CSP3, Decware Taboo MKIII and uber modded Bottlehead Crack with Speedball.  The Decware pre-amp feeding the Taboo was nothing short of excellent.    

I'm thinking of holding out for some of the new iFi stuff coming out or checking out something from Woo, Lyr2, April Music Stello, Garage 1217, iCan of course, or vintage receiver.  SS or tubes would be fine.  I need to keep up with the iCan Pro thread.  I don't know anything about the specs.   

Quote:
Take note, however, that I use an external headphone amp, one that I consider the best I've ever heard. On the other hand there are tons of accolades I could push upon the iCAN, using the same rig.

For what it's worth the iCAN Pro has similar specs to my current HP amp. Now, that's only on paper, so take that with a salt lick...but iFi has never been known for big promises and short on keeping them.

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 55
If you don't mind me asking, which amp are you using?  I'm probably going to get an amp to pair with the HD800 after I get my tax return.  I was looking in the range of $500-1000, maybe a little more if justified.  

Other amps I have used with the HD800, but with a different DAC, included:  V200, Decware CSP3, Decware Taboo MKIII and uber modded Bottlehead Crack with Speedball.  The Decware pre-amp feeding the Taboo was nothing short of excellent.    

I'm thinking of holding out for some of the new iFi stuff coming out or checking out something from Woo, Lyr2, April Music Stello, Garage 1217, iCan of course, or vintage receiver.  SS or tubes would be fine.  I need to keep up with the iCan Pro thread.  I don't know anything about the specs.

I use an SPL Auditor. It's a piece of pro audio gear, which is kind of one of the best kept secrets in the audiophile/hi-fi world. It's serious business, but only if you like a neutral sound that's very revealing. I mean, you have to have gear like that if you are mixing via cans in the studio. It takes the depth and width of your HD800s to another level.

Balanced is the way to go, but right now I'm running my iDSD micro with the unbalanced RCA outputs, which isn't bad, in and of itself, but like you, I'm looking at the next gen iFi gear, specifically the iDSD Pro, which will offer true balanced outputs, dual mono class A analog with 4 burr-brown DAC chips.

iFi claims that the design of the iDSD Pro grew its wings from tried and true pro audio gear, and from what I've seen, the specs sound like it, yet iFi has yet to reveal certain aspects of the design that will make or break for me.

Anyway, back on topic: read some reviews on the SPL Auditor. It has even made some diehard speaker guys put on their headphones again. There is one kind of wackadoodle review that someone made in here. I say it's nutty, not because I disagree, but well...just read the oldest review in here and compare it to the newest one. It's kind of kooky.

But HD800s? Yeah, those are my endgame cans...and if the iDSD Pro is, indeed, a step up from iDSD micro, that might be my endgame, as well.  All I'm missing is the close perfect DAC that I can find.

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 55
interesting. two of the headphones that I am interested in are precisely those that you have entered. I chose between Grado SR-325e and Grado PS-500e. but then it was ibasso DX90 I had as a source. DX90 needed a bit of spark at the top that I felt that the 325e had. Today I had probably chosen the PS-500e. I have not heard the PS-500 but I understand they are a little darker. While the HD 800 is on my wish list but right now I seek a closed headphone to iDSD micro. I'm a little interested Beyerdynamic T5P.

I am very happy with my iDSD micro. Thany you iFi :)

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 55
Good to know and I'll keep my eye out for a used one.  Is the Phonitor a recent version of the Auditor?

For now I am happy with the onboard headphone amp, but eventually I do want to pull the trigger on an external amp to really hear how this DAC sounds own its merits.  I've sworn off expensive DACs after the W4S DAC-2, Anedio D2, and Oppo BDP-105.  Not that they were bad, but I was getting as much or more enjoyment from a DAC like the Ciunas which was half the cost or now the iDSD Micro which is like a 3rd of the price.  However, iFi has gotten me back into the DAC game :)

Quote:

I use an SPL Auditor. It's a piece of pro audio gear, which is kind of one of the best kept secrets in the audiophile/hi-fi world. It's serious business, but only if you like a neutral sound that's very revealing. I mean, you have to have gear like that if you are mixing via cans in the studio. It takes the depth and width of your HD800s to another level.

Balanced is the way to go, but right now I'm running my iDSD micro with the unbalanced RCA outputs, which isn't bad, in and of itself, but like you, I'm looking at the next gen iFi gear, specifically the iDSD Pro, which will offer true balanced outputs, dual mono class A analog with 4 burr-brown DAC chips.

iFi claims that the design of the iDSD Pro grew its wings from tried and true pro audio gear, and from what I've seen, the specs sound like it, yet iFi has yet to reveal certain aspects of the design that will make or break for me.

Anyway, back on topic: read some reviews on the SPL Auditor. It has even made some diehard speaker guys put on their headphones again. There is one kind of wackadoodle review that someone made in here. I say it's nutty, not because I disagree, but well...just read the oldest review in here and compare it to the newest one. It's kind of kooky.

But HD800s? Yeah, those are my endgame cans...and if the iDSD Pro is, indeed, a step up from iDSD micro, that might be my endgame, as well.  All I'm missing is the close perfect DAC that I can find.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 55
PS-500 is on the smoother and warmer side.  Non-fatiguing.  My past experience with Grados is SR-80, SR-225, PS-500, PS-1000, and HF-2.  PS-500 is one that I feel strikes a good balance between price and performance.  Naturally it isn't for everyone.  Always best if you can hear one first but with Amazon you can return it with no hassle.  

For closed headphone, did you consider the Alpha Dog?  I had one but prior to obtaining the iDSD.  I really enjoyed it but kind of on the bulky side.  

Quote:
interesting. two of the headphones that I am interested in are precisely those that you have entered. I chose between Grado SR-325e and Grado PS-500e. but then it was ibasso DX90 I had as a source. DX90 needed a bit of spark at the top that I felt that the 325e had. Today I had probably chosen the PS-500e. I have not heard the PS-500 but I understand they are a little darker. While the HD 800 is on my wish list but right now I seek a closed headphone to iDSD micro. I'm a little interested Beyerdynamic T5P.

I am very happy with my iDSD micro. Thany you iFi
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 55
I love my Alpha Dog with my iDSD. I did turn the bass screw of the Alpha dog by one rotation (bass was too flat for my slightly basshead ears). I'm considering the ZMF Blackwood or the MrSpeakers Alpha Prime in the future. Oh, I also love my Focal Spirit Pro and Philips Fidelio L2 with my iDSD. My iDSD was too warm for my Final Audio Design Heaven VI. 

I'm considering the Dragon Inspire IHA-1, the Decware Taboo MkIII, or Woo Audio WA22 for a future desktop amp (I have no desktop audio gear as of now). I've read extensively on valve rectifiers and 6SN7/6BL7/6BX7 tubes as well for the IHA-1. After that, maybe a Schiit Ragnarok or an iDSD Pro if those turn out very well. (I'm not much of a hires guy as I'm more of a 16/44.1kHz dirtbag ha ha). 

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #12 of 55
@WNBC

I've never heard theAlpha Dog, and have no ability to do it here in Sweden what I know. yes it looks bulky, but it's the sound that is important to me. how would you describe difference in sound between the PS 500 and Alpha Dog?

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #13 of 55
Both are really good headphones and I could be happy with both as my 1-2 combo with the iDSD.  To me they are kind of opposites which makes them very complementary to one's rig.  As personal fav, I would go with PS-500 and then Alpha Dog, but if one needs isolation then hands down the Alpha Dog will be much better.  For my ears the treble is just right with these headphones though some might want a little more treble extension and presence.  PS-500 I liked right away.  For the Alpha Dog, over time I grew to appreciate what it was capable of doing and for me it was the best closed headphone I've heard to date, but I have not heard all closed flagships.  I primarily listen to jazz.        

Strengths:
PS-500 - warm toned, lively and dynamic presentation, forward midrange, airy, Grado sound signature though less than SR-series
Alpha Dog - closer to neutral than PS-500, extended bass, palpable midrange, isolation, detail, soundstage better than PS-500 

Weaknesses:
PS-500 - not so much sub-bass, sound stage, too smooth at times
Alpha Dog - size

Quote:
@WNBC

I've never heard theAlpha Dog, and have no ability to do it here in Sweden what I know. yes it looks bulky, but it's the sound that is important to me. how would you describe difference in sound between the PS 500 and Alpha Dog?

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #14 of 55

Thank you! I am grateful to you for sharing your experiences.

Also I listen mainly to jazz. it also seems like we have similar prefernser when it comes to sound types. When I chose between SR-325e and 500e PS it was just that I felt 325e have more of Grado sound. but today I regret a little that I did not choose the PS-500e. I have have contact with one person who want to trade their PS-500 against two pairs pair of simple headphones that I have.

I apologize for my English when I use Google to translate when English is not my native language.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #15 of 55
Sorry to jump in your thread my friend, but i also consider to buy IFI IDSD micro for my Denon D7100 ? are they good pairing ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back