iFi iDSD Micro VS Chord HUGO
Oct 27, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #152 of 163
Unfortunately it didn't happen because I had a 5-day family trip that was planned all of sudden.
It'll happen soon hopefully but I'll have to talk to my friend again about it.
I'll let you guys know so just hang on.
Cheers.

Some days later ...?

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #153 of 163
Now that I've read this thread I have a question

We're the comparison based on mostly red book or DSD listening

Finally what will the IFI pro do that the micro doesn't ? And what will the price be. Thanks. I still can't decide between micro and Hugo

Nov 19, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #156 of 163
Glad to hear that! Paying so much for DAC without isolation will not in my list. 
cool.gif

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #157 of 163
I don't think that's entirely accurate in that it appears you're suggesting people going for the Micro iDSD can't afford the Chord? (if I'm wrong, forgive me). As someone who also enjoys full-size systems, as I think a great deal of head-fiers do, I can say with certainty that the great thing about head-fi is that literally everything is inexpensive, comparatively.

Sure, one is literally 5x the cost of the other, but $2500 is already pretty cheap for the sound quality you're getting, compared to what you'd spend in full-size gear to achieve the same sound... And $500 is just insane. Bottom line, there are many people who have both in their budgets, but after comparing both, went for the IFI, and saved $2k.

Personally, I'd heard the Hugo, but didn't have a Micro, so I rolled the dice based on what I'd read. I was blown away, but just for laughs, I carted it over to listen to with the Chord. The reports are true... It's that good.

I'm not sure how long you've been into hi/head fi, but in my experience, most audiophiles at least listen -and often buy- across even greater price ranges. Price is a very poor indicator of performance indeed. Case in point- several years back, the Senheiser HD650 represented a flagship model. It can be had for $335 on Amazon, right now. It happens to pair best with Bottlehead Crack tube amps, which can be had for roughly the same price. Figure another $150 if you score ebay deals on good tubes. $30 for incidentals, I always like to pick up brass footers for isolation. That's $850 for a rig that is still one of the best sounds available, at any price. Do modern competitors beat it? Many do, sure. But many also don't. And most cost 4-5 times the price.

Second case in point- and this one is personal: probably my favorite headphone of all time (and I've owned HD800, LCD-2.2, Oppo PM2, and spent a good amount of time with my dad's Stax), is the German Maestro GMP 8.35 D. Available for $249 at Amazon. I got mine on flash sale for $189, shipping issues knocked it down to $130. That's less than a well-priced headphone cable. Sure, it's a closed back and doesn't have the sound-stage, nor the sophistication of the rarified cans mentioned above. But it has a magic quality- something about it's signature is just eminently listenable. People who hear it, love it. I always end up listening to it regularly, regardless of whatever top-tier can or IEM I currently have in my stable. Like I said, this one is personal, not many people are aware of the GM 8.35, unlike the widely recognized HD650/Crack combo, but the point is, I think many audiophiles have similar stories. That one can or amp that cost almost nothing, and just takes on all challengers.

Price just doens't work as a gauge of sound...
quick question. Not sure if you've ever tried it but would the maestro be a swim ways move if you used an hd600?

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #158 of 163
quick question. Not sure if you've ever tried it but would the maestro be a swim ways move if you used an hd600?

If you're going to spend that type of money anyway, might as well do the GM Pro 400! (or 450 if you NEED it.)  I hear (No pun intended) great things about it, and am considering one myself to compare to my T1 ver.2 & the HD-800S to see if it truly is in the same class...

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #160 of 163
My Hugo of 2 1/2 years died and had to go back to UK for battery and usb micro repair. I had the Hugo perform really well in my speaker system connected to a Cary tube integrated and sounded fantastic. While my speaker system was undergoing some updates, I started listening to the Hugo as a headphone system - I picked up a Hifiman 400s. It sounded clear and polite. While I was selling my Cary, I listened to the headphone output as a lark and was blown away by how it opened up the sound for the Hifiman's. As I've been without a way of listening to music while the Hugo is gone, I picked up a micro idsd off an audiogon auction. Just started listening today and am hugely impressed. I am not missing the Hugo through headphones. As far as synergy with the 400's go, the ifi micro idsd is a vastly more engaging experience. I don't have much experience listening through any other headphones, but this brief sample illustrates how important system synergy is. The bass in particular is much more moving than the Hugo. I have the usb out put from my computer connected through a jitterbug and then an uptone regen. Like the solidity of the ifi. The volume knob is a nice feature. I haven't tweaked the filters yet, but have it on the standard as I have many dsd recordings. Also really like the full size usb connectors as opposed to the Hugo micro's.
My 2 cents worth.

May 10, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #162 of 163
So I snagged a mint condition barely used Hugo 1 for $800. I was deciding between the ifi Diablo and the Hugo. I feel like I got a bargain considering the Hugo 1 retailed for $2500 and I got it near 70% off.

It is substantially more resolving than Mojo which was only outresolved by the micro black label by a hair. So I agree with the post regarding the Hugo performing better than the micro in all aspects.

I don't even know if the Hugo 2 is even worth the same price tag that the Hugo 1 despite being more refined.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1665872649.jpg
    Snapchat-1665872649.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back