IFI Idsd micro black label or Schiit Jotunheim
Aug 15, 2020 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Olajuwom10

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone need a bit of help. I'm new here and new to audiophile stuff hobby. The reason being is I'm not sure what to get for the Hifiman Arya. I'm leaning towards IFI Idsd after reading a lot reviews. Someone told me about Topping A90 too so not really sure now. Thanks in advance!

Aug 16, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 8
Do you need it to be portable? If not, many would say you'll get more for your money going with a desktop unit than the Micro BL Plus I personally don't love using battery powered units for non-portable applications if I can avoid it.

But if you do want it to be portable then it's pretty hard to beat the Micro BL (more like transportable really cuz it's pretty big).

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 8
Do you need it to be portable? If not, many would say you'll get more for your money going with a desktop unit than the Micro BL Plus I personally don't love using battery powered units for non-portable applications if I can avoid it.

But if you do want it to be portable then it's pretty hard to beat the Micro BL (more like transportable really cuz it's pretty big).

Thanks for the feedback bzippy. I actually was going to get the Jotunheim but the seller did not show up so had time for browsing and saw the look of IFI and what it does. The seller of Jot got back to me but now I'm more leaning towards IFI most probably because of it looks. In two days Addictedtoaudio is opening in Adelaide Aust it'll be tough if they say go with a desktop unit.
Cheers!

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 8
I wouldn't recommend the ifi Black label unless you want it's portable functionality. Also in today's market, the Jotunheim isn't that great for the price—at least that's the impression I got from all I've read about it. The Asgard 3 on the other hand, is excellent for the price. If you want the best amp for the Arya, apparently the Monoprice liquid platinum is great. It's on sale at the moment. The lake people G111 and HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 are other good options at the same price.

Aug 17, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 8
I wouldn't recommend the ifi Black label unless you want it's portable functionality. Also in today's market, the Jotunheim isn't that great for the price—at least that's the impression I got from all I've read about it. The Asgard 3 on the other hand, is excellent for the price. If you want the best amp for the Arya, apparently the Monoprice liquid platinum is great. It's on sale at the moment. The lake people G111 and HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 are other good options at the same price.
Thanks Marcgii tomorrow is the day for me to get some stuff for Arya. More likely will get the Gilmore lite. Unfortunately I'm from Australia and we don't have the monoprice liquid platinum. Topping A90 is about the same price as Gilmore lite do you know by any chance if its better for the Arya?
Thanks!

Aug 17, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks Marcgii tomorrow is the day for me to get some stuff for Arya. More likely will get the Gilmore lite. Unfortunately I'm from Australia and we don't have the monoprice liquid platinum. Topping A90 is about the same price as Gilmore lite do you know by any chance if its better for the Arya?
Thanks!

I think most people would prefer the Gilmore Lite because the A90 is more similar to a THX amp. But the A90 has got many positive reviews none the less. So I'm sure it's fine.

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the help! I'll definitely toss it up between them two tomorrow 😊
Just an update the store wasn't setup yet and didn't have any displays was going to get the Gilmore lite but no stock still have to order and A90 they can get it in a few days. Ended up getting the Black label but still have to wait - might get it tomorrow or Friday as they only had one stock that was sold earlier. Will get a desktop amp/dac need to save some money first lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back