ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jun 4, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #2,071 of 2,267
Just found it and wanted to share with all other Pro iCan owners for a Sunday listening session: A great track pairing with Pro iCan in solid state mode and Focal Clears Mg:

This album is also great in solid state mode:

Have fun!

Jun 4, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #2,072 of 2,267
This is exactly why you would never sell the Pro - so versatile:ksc75smile:
I couldn't agree more. It is staying until it breaks and even then I might get it fixed. Tube sound, SS sound, bass boost sound, 3D sound combined with three different levels of gain. And I haven't even seriously approached the idea of changing the tubes. For a guy that is hooked on variety like me, it is the ultimate amp. The most expensive piece of headphone kit that I ever bought (and that was used!) and it is probably the best value with all that it can do. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #2,074 of 2,267
Anybody tried pairing up the IFI Pro Ican or Ican signature to a Chord Qutest DAC? How did it perform ?
@ResidentAlien I have tried both Mojo 1 and Hugo TT2 since I disliked Hugo 2 and Qutest and Dave sound signature. I guess it will be ok in solid state mode unless you like more transparent and / or dry sounding amp. In Tube and Tube+ mode you will have a bit of sweatness added but difference betwean those two modes can be hard to hear just like in case of Chord filter settings. The 3d and xbass is a lot more powerful than any of current Chord dacs settings IMHO. The drawback is that you are loosing some of Qutest transparency. With iPower Elite Pro iCan background is really black and silent. Hope this helps.

Jun 8, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #2,075 of 2,267
Can an ican purchased from Europe be used in the USA with the proper plug / power supply? Does it have an outboard voltage switch ?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #2,076 of 2,267
Has anyone with an iFi Pro iCAN matched it up with an R70X?
Just curious.
And I should mention that I am not a fan of the HD600/HD650 headphones.

Thanks.

Jul 10, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #2,077 of 2,267
For any Canadians following this thread, there is a used Pro iCAN available on CAM, although it is a Signature Edition. Awesome, but pricey.

Jul 10, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #2,078 of 2,267
For any Canadians following this thread, there is a used Pro iCAN available on CAM, although it is a Signature Edition. Awesome, but pricey.
In my experience, people from greater Vancouver area often charge a bit more than the national average. According to my profile, I've viewed over 57,000 ads on that site, and my memory is pretty good. Sure, there's 12% sales tax, but that doesn't account for all of it. On the other hand, the odd individual cares little about what they get for something. I bought a two week old REL T5 for $450 from a nice fellow, for instance.

Mind you, in this case, it looks like the unit has barely been out of the packaging.

Jul 11, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #2,079 of 2,267
In my experience, people from greater Vancouver area often charge a bit more than the national average. According to my profile, I've viewed over 57,000 ads on that site, and my memory is pretty good. Sure, there's 12% sales tax, but that doesn't account for all of it. On the other hand, the odd individual cares little about what they get for something. I bought a two week old REL T5 for $450 from a nice fellow, for instance.

Mind you, in this case, it looks like the unit has barely been out of the packaging.
Still awfully pricey. Although the MSRP has risen to $3,299.00, plus tax.
I got an OG version last year for $1,500.00 used and that was the most expensive piece of Head-Fi I ever bought. Worth it though!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #2,080 of 2,267
Delete - duplicate

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #2,081 of 2,267
I just bought an iCan Sig and when I use the unbalanced rca inputs, there is significant noise present even at 10/11 o’clock on all gains. When testing this, no music was playing. I have tried this with Bifrost 2, EF400, Shanling EM5 and ifi Gryphon. Is this defective? I even added the ifi Purifier (usb) on the DAC. Is this defective?

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #2,082 of 2,267
I just bought an iCan Sig and when I use the unbalanced rca inputs, there is significant noise present even at 10/11 o’clock on all gains. When testing this, no music was playing. I have tried this with Bifrost 2, EF400, Shanling EM5 and ifi Gryphon. Is this defective? I even added the ifi Purifier (usb) on the DAC. Is this defective?
It sounds like it. Have you tried a different cable? I have the OG version and it is very quiet.

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #2,083 of 2,267
It sounds like it. Have you tried a different cable? I have the OG version and it is very quiet.
Yeah I tried 2-3 different cables. I even tried a dual xlr to rca cable as well. I even tried a gryphon using the 4.4 to rca and 3.5 to rca. Still noisy

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #2,084 of 2,267
Is anyone using this as a pre and headamp? I read thru the manual yesterday and apparently, it is not recommended to be used as both. The pre outs never switch off. Is there any negative impact on the unit or SQ if I keep the pre outs connected to a power amp and just switch the power amp on or off when needed, while also using it as a head amp?

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #2,085 of 2,267
Is anyone using this as a pre and headamp? I read thru the manual yesterday and apparently, it is not recommended to be used as both. The pre outs never switch off. Is there any negative impact on the unit or SQ if I keep the pre outs connected to a power amp and just switch the power amp on or off when needed, while also using it as a head amp?
I am definitively using both pre-amp and headphone amp modes. I permanently connect RCA cable to a pre-main amp to drive my speaker system. If I want to listen to music through a head rig, of course pre-main amp is turned off. I do not see any issue with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back