ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jan 19, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #1,996 of 2,267
Pro iCAN does not have fixed output. When I use it as pre-amp to feed the output to the pre-main amp for speakers, I usually set the volume knob of pro iCAN maximum and the sound power level from the speakers is controlled by the pre-main amp. It is depending on your system, though.
Might work then. If I buy the Iittle fella, I will try it out.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #1,997 of 2,267
On my 2nd hand iFi Pro iCAN, got a 2.5mm balanced connector connected via balanced cable to two 3 pin xlrs.
It does not seem to work. Connected to a balanced dac (set to line out level) or connected to hugo2 (set to line level) via 3.5/2.5 adapter, I can hear very very low level sound when setting the input switch to Balanced. Strange, but I get the same levrl of very low audio when switching the input switch to any of other of the rca settings.

RCA inputs work perfectly.

Please advice.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #1,998 of 2,267
On my 2nd hand iFi Pro iCAN, got a 2.5mm balanced connector connected via balanced cable to two 3 pin xlrs.
It does not seem to work. Connected to a balanced dac (set to line out level) or connected to hugo2 (set to line level) via 3.5/2.5 adapter, I can hear very very low level sound when setting the input switch to Balanced. Strange, but I get the same levrl of very low audio when switching the input switch to any of other of the rca settings.

Please advice.
I am a little confused by your description. So, are your headphone inputs 2.5mm at the cup? And do they end in 3-pin XLR's?

As far as your DAC to amp wiring it is just XLR (or a balanced adapter for a 4.4mm or 2.5mm possibly?) or RCA from one to the other normally.
I don't understand the Line Out references. Are you using one as a pre-amp?

Jan 21, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #1,999 of 2,267
The problem is simple. I connect balanced analog input to the XLR inputs which does not seem to work.
I use two 3pin xlrs fed by 2.5mm balanced connector and cable.
Screenshot_2022-01-21-20-32-21-156_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #2,000 of 2,267
The problem is simple. I connect balanced analog input to the XLR inputs which does not seem to work.
I use two 3pin xlrs fed by 2.5mm balanced connector and cable.Screenshot_2022-01-21-20-32-21-156_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
Sounds like the wiring is not compatible with what you are trying to do, and the small amount of sound you are getting out is a symptom of that. This kind of thing can happen in stereos when the common wire is open. You might have better luck asking iFi directly.

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #2,002 of 2,267
I use two 3pin xlrs fed by 2.5mm balanced connector and cable.Screenshot_2022-01-21-20-32-21-156_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
So, the headphone cable sounds like it is fine. It must be a matter of cabling between the DAC and the amp then. The suggestion of contacting iFi is a great idea. I have dealt with their reps and they were very helpful.

Jan 23, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #2,003 of 2,267

Please advice.
It seems that 2.5 mm output that you are using has an extremely low voltage. May I ask what's the source that you're using with that particular output?

Jan 23, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #2,005 of 2,267
Thanks

Source: mojo set to line out via a 3.5 msle to 2.5 female adapter. Including the cable shown above (male 2.5mm to two 3pin xlrs) .
I don’t think you can go from single ended 3.5mm out from the mojo to balanced wiring. You can only go from balanced with an adapter to single ended. I think that is your problem. You need a balanced source to go to a balanced amp.

Jan 23, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #2,006 of 2,267
Thanks

Source: mojo set to line out via a 3.5 msle to 2.5 female adapter. Including the cable shown above (male 2.5mm to two 3pin xlrs) .
You've got a frankenoutput over there :beyersmile:
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, you need proper RCA (2V<) or XLR (4V<) outputs.
If you like the Chord sound go up the line, or you can buy one of the fine DACs available today, there's a plethora of them for every pocket.
Remember that if you buy one with only RCA outputs, that's just half the power of what iCan Pro can do.

Jan 24, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #2,007 of 2,267
Thank you very much.
In fact I have the Hugo 2 feeding my iCAN via good RCA cables, with great SQ. I did buy the 2.5mm to 3pin XLRs in order to experiment with the possibility to utilize DAC/AMP balanced out as an input into the iCAN's balanced input. I own several of these sources (earman sparrow, es100, qudelix). Following beeing unsuccesful, I did try it with the Mojo with no success as explained above.

Thanks again.
IMG_20220109_173208.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #2,008 of 2,267
New to this amp (later this week), and I was wondering if somewhere in the 134 pages here was a good breakdown of the pros/cons of the various balanced outputs on the front? IE, is there any actual added value in using twin 3-pin XLR or twin 1/4" vs. a 4-pin XLR?

Feb 1, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #2,009 of 2,267
New to this amp (later this week), and I was wondering if somewhere in the 134 pages here was a good breakdown of the pros/cons of the various balanced outputs on the front? IE, is there any actual added value in using twin 3-pin XLR or twin 1/4" vs. a 4-pin XLR?
I don't think so. But most people don't have dual three pin XLR's. I thought about buying that connector from Hart, but the four pin is working just fine and every thing sounds great.

With Hart I have two 1/4", two 4-pin and one 4.4mm. I am stopping there.:ksc75smile:

Feb 1, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #2,010 of 2,267
I'm considering an iCan Pro. Does anyone know how it's current output compares to an iHA-6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back