ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
May 28, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #1,771 of 2,267
Hello, just got my exchange unit and new unit has same problem with screen, even worth than first one, one the screen black lines, maybe it's normal for unit which one price almost $3000, I have no words, I don't feel comfortable to call again to store with same problem and I understand it's not store fault because unit was 100% unused. Maybe I just have bad luck ? I like to correct, in 6-7 hours screen got fix by itself, sorry guys for your time!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 1, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #1,772 of 2,267
I actually wanted to install two GE 5 Stars, unfortunately the dealer sent me two different ones... :deadhorse:

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg
Hello, the IFI support team helped me troubleshoot a problem I had with my unit and came to the conclusion that I need to change the tubes. I was wondering if you can tell me which screwdriver or allen wrench key I need to open the unit. I don't have any experience doing this sort of operation but one has to start somewhere.

Maybe anyone that has opened the unit can comment on this too.

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #1,773 of 2,267
Jun 1, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #1,774 of 2,267
Jun 1, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #1,775 of 2,267
This video shows how to open it up. Ignore all the front part. You don't need to touch any of it to open the case and roll tubes. Just the screws at the back. Learned it the hard way by wasting my time on the front parts because of this video.

Jun 3, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #1,776 of 2,267
Anyone using the NEO iDSD with the iCan Pro? I've seen some people in the thread mentioning the PRO iDSD used as a DAC for this, but didn't see the NEO mentioned in the thread (probably because that's still a relatively new product). Also seen a lot of reviews comparing the NEO iDSD vs PRO iDSD straight-up, but a lot of those tend to focus on the headphone amp part of the NEO.

The NEO definitely seems like a great affordable choice for the iCAN (compared to the PRO iDSD), so curious on thoughts...

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #1,777 of 2,267
Any problems connecting iCan as a preamp into to two separate amps? One connected via RCA the other via XLR. I plan on connecting to powered monitors and also to a separate power amp driving abyss 1266 headphones. Thanks!

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #1,778 of 2,267
Any problems connecting iCan as a preamp into to two separate amps? One connected via RCA the other via XLR. I plan on connecting to powered monitors and also to a separate power amp driving abyss 1266 headphones. Thanks!
Done that before and it wasn't a problem.

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #1,779 of 2,267
Anyone using the NEO iDSD with the iCan Pro? I've seen some people in the thread mentioning the PRO iDSD used as a DAC for this, but didn't see the NEO mentioned in the thread (probably because that's still a relatively new product). Also seen a lot of reviews comparing the NEO iDSD vs PRO iDSD straight-up, but a lot of those tend to focus on the headphone amp part of the NEO.

The NEO definitely seems like a great affordable choice for the iCAN (compared to the PRO iDSD), so curious on thoughts...
The Neo is a more affordable option, but the Pro components are designed to complement each other. If you want to dip your toe in the water, go for the Neo, but if you want to jump in fully, go for the iDSD Pro (or wait for whenever the next version of it comes out, post-chip shortage).

Jun 11, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #1,780 of 2,267
The Neo is a more affordable option, but the Pro components are designed to complement each other. If you want to dip your toe in the water, go for the Neo, but if you want to jump in fully, go for the iDSD Pro (or wait for whenever the next version of it comes out, post-chip shortage).
The pro combo while expensive offers amazing value and sound tailoring between the 2 units IMHO, especially with upgraded tubes in both units.

Jun 12, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #1,781 of 2,267
The pro combo while expensive offers amazing value and sound tailoring between the 2 units IMHO, especially with upgraded tubes in both units.

I think so.
As soon as I find a used one for a good price, I'll buy it.

Jun 22, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #1,782 of 2,267
@iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu .. I have purchased an iCan Pro 2 days ago and would like to ask you if it is allowed to change the tubes? Or will I lose the warrenty with the tube exchange? I mean, it is really easy to exchange it by my own.

Sorry if this was already discussed on one of the 119 pages.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #1,783 of 2,267
@iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu .. I have purchased an iCan Pro 2 days ago and would like to ask you if it is allowed to change the tubes? Or will I lose the warrenty with the tube exchange? I mean, it is really easy to exchange it by my own.

Yes, it does void the warranty!

Jun 22, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #1,784 of 2,267

iFi provides a one-year warranty. That goes by pretty fast. You could wait out the warranty and upgrade your tubes afterwards, or do it now. It's a calculated risk. While the amp in its default state sounds fine, the sound quality improvements from putting in better tubes are significant.

Official warranty policy aside, I don't think iFi is going to turn you away if you have a problem with the amp, even if you upgrade the tubes. I'd say that most of the people posting in this thread have changed out the tubes in their iCan Pro. If you read through the thread, others have run into various issues with the amp (not necessarily related to tubes) and have been helped out by members of the forum and/or iFi themselves.

***YMMV. I don't pretend to speak for iFi. My comments are based on my experiences in the forum.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #1,785 of 2,267
Official warranty policy aside, I don't think iFi is going to turn you away if you have a problem with the amp, even if you upgrade the tubes.

Suffice it to say, we help if we can, and often in case of products well past their warranty :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back