ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Apr 10, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #691 of 2,267
Is anyone running an iCan Pro amp with a Schiit Bitfrost Multibit DAC?  

I'm about to purchase a pair of HE1000 V2s and i'm currently using a Schiit Bimby/Lyr 2 stack at home (currently have he560s).  I was able to listen to my potential combo at Can Jam yesterday and it didn't wow me like the HE1000 V2s did from the iCan Pro.  However this was the setup at the Kitsune booth with an amazing DAC so i'm wondering if my more modest Bimby DAC combined with the iCan will still provide the excellent results i'm hoping to achieve.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #692 of 2,267
I am presently running my iCAN Pro with a Gungnir D-S DAC and am extremely happy with the results on my LCD-2's and Genelec M040 monitors. I have a used Gumby on the way though and am really looking forward to how that will perform in my system vs the Gungnir D-S. I assume they were running the Holo Audio Spring DAC with the iCAN Pro at the Kitsune booth? I really want to hear that DAC! If I were to ever upgrade from the Gumby it will likely be to that unit or the forthcoming iDSD Pro.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #693 of 2,267
  I am presently running my iCAN Pro with a Gungnir D-S DAC and am extremely happy with the results on my LCD-2's and Genelec M040 monitors. I have a used Gumby on the way though and am really looking forward to how that will perform in my system vs the Gungnir D-S. I assume they were running the Holo Audio Spring DAC with the iCAN Pro at the Kitsune booth? I really want to hear that DAC! If I were to ever upgrade from the Gumby it will likely be to that unit or the forthcoming iDSD Pro.

Awesome setup.  Congrats and I'm envious of your incoming Gumby!  I'm still pretty new to the hifi game so I love my Bimby and I'm hoping it serves me well for a while.  I look forward to hearing your impressions when you get your Gumby.

You are correct that it was the Holo Audio Spring DAC with the iCAN Pro at the Kitsune booth... what an amazing pairing.  By far my most enjoyable listening yesterday was through that setup using the HEKv2 and Utopia.  I could have sat there all day and been content.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #694 of 2,267
Apr 11, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #696 of 2,267
Just got the IFI ICAN Pro in from Audio46 in NYC and although a brief listen with the HD800s, I'm already impressed. It's a great synergy and seems thus far to give more of everything that the HD800s are great at without messing with the things that the HD800s aren't as good at.

Coming from most recently an Audeze Deckard.

Got a lot more listening to do but looking forward to hearing this with my Audeze Sines, E-L8s, and Fostex TH-900s. I imagine all of them will have the same excellent synergy due to the amps remarkable flexibility.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #697 of 2,267
  Just got the IFI ICAN Pro in from Audio46 in NYC and although a brief listen with the HD800s, I'm already impressed. It's a great synergy and seems thus far to give more of everything that the HD800s are great at without messing with the things that the HD800s aren't as good at.

Coming from most recently an Audeze Deckard.

Got a lot more listening to do but looking forward to hearing this with my Audeze Sines, E-L8s, and Fostex TH-900s. I imagine all of them will have the same excellent synergy due to the amps remarkable flexibility.

Thanks for the impressions! I'm really, really close to buying one of these from Audio46 as well... I want to support them if I can.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #698 of 2,267
  Thanks for the impressions! I'm really, really close to buying one of these from Audio46 as well... I want to support them if I can.

No problem at all! Yeah, Audio46 was excellent in terms of customer service and shipping time. I ordered on 4/9 and they shipped it first thing yesterday morning.

The packaging and courier leaves a little to be desired though. USPS (personal preference, not a fan) and the packaging material seemed to be a mixture of whatever was available to fill the box. It varied from balls of plastic to some bubble wrap to everything inbetween. But it all arrived fine and appears to be working without issue.

I'll try to update with more impressions once I have a lot more time with the amp. So far, very impressed!

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #699 of 2,267

No problem at all! Yeah, Audio46 was excellent in terms of customer service and shipping time. I ordered on 4/9 and they shipped it first thing yesterday morning.

The packaging and courier leaves a little to be desired though. USPS (personal preference, not a fan) and the packaging material seemed to be a mixture of whatever was available to fill the box. It varied from balls of plastic to some bubble wrap to everything inbetween. But it all arrived fine and appears to be working without issue.

I'll try to update with more impressions once I have a lot more time with the amp. So far, very impressed!

Oh boy... I was looking at Audio-GD products, however the shipping to China and back for warranty support and spending a bunch of money on a questionable USB stack has me second guessing my plan. Furthermore, I kind of want to keep my DAC and Amp separated... and this Amp looks like it would handle my whole collection without breaking a sweat. Would likely sell off the rest of my gear and keep only my Bimby until the Pro iDSD comes out, since I'm all about matching aesthetics.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #700 of 2,267
Has anyone experienced any distortion because the RCA connects in the preamp line out are loose? I've had some loud crackling, both when bumping the amp and cord, and turning the volume. I've tightened the sleeves on my monoprice RCA cable which may help, but need to test further.

Probably using balanced cables would solve the issue too.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #702 of 2,267
What DACs are folks pairing wit this amp?  Thoughts about any of the Schitts, Yggdrasil, Gungnir multi, Grace M920, Ayre Codex or PS Audio.  These are all ones I'm thinking of; right now using the IDSD BL.  Thanks!

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #703 of 2,267
  What DACs are folks pairing wit this amp?  Thoughts about any of the Schitts, Yggdrasil, Gungnir multi, Grace M920, Ayre Codex or PS Audio.  These are all ones I'm thinking of; right now using the IDSD BL.  Thanks!

I have both the iCan Pro & Matrix X-Sabre Pro DAC ordered. I will try to get some impressions up once it's all up and running.

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #705 of 2,267
I would imagine an amp this transparent will let the true character of any DAC come through, which would mean the best DAC is the one which SQ we like most.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back