ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jun 21, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #121 of 2,267
If anyone has had an opportunity to use the iCan Pro as a line stage preamp, I'd be very interested to hear any impressions. I can't think of any other balanced tube preamp in this price range, and the features list is bonkers. I can only imagine that the sound quality will be superb as well.

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #122 of 2,267
If anyone has had an opportunity to use the iCan Pro as a line stage preamp, I'd be very interested to hear any impressions. I can't think of any other balanced tube preamp in this price range, and the features list is bonkers. I can only imagine that the sound quality will be superb as well.

It's funny that you mention that, because that's exactly what I did last Sunday. My DAC fed the iCAN Pro, while the iCAN Pro fed my Auditor, then through my headphones. Frankly, it didn't lose much of the iCAN sound; again the Tube+ was righteous. I had set the Auditor on unity gain and operated the volume by means of the iCAN Pro. I thought it was a good combo, just not as good as the iCAN Pro by itself, which was livelier.

Of course it all depends on what amp you mate it with, but it didn't lose its fun factor from in the listening experience.

Obviously a person is better off going balanced headphones straight to the iCAN Pro. That's what really makes your can talk: that's 147db(A) dynamic range.

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #123 of 2,267
It's funny that you mention that, because that's exactly what I did last Sunday. My DAC fed the iCAN Pro, while the iCAN Pro fed my Auditor, then through my headphones. Frankly, it didn't lose much of the iCAN sound; again the Tube+ was righteous. I had set the Auditor on unity gain and operated the volume by means of the iCAN Pro. I thought it was a good combo, just not as good as the iCAN Pro by itself, which was livelier.

Of course it all depends on what amp you mate it with, but it didn't lose its fun factor from in the listening experience.

Obviously a person is better off going balanced headphones straight to the iCAN Pro. That's what really makes your can talk: that's 147db(A) dynamic range.

Thanks for your impressions, EVOLVIST. I am particularly interested in using the iCAN Pro as a preamp in the context of a speaker rig. For headphones I would almost certainly just use the iCAN's built-in amp, as you suggest.

Jun 30, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #124 of 2,267
I already have a tube amp but would like a solid state and am trying to decide between the M9, Rag, and this.

I am leaning toward the M9 because though I think I would prefer the Rags layering abilities the single ended socket is worthless. Plus I already have a tube amp that is here to stay. In a couple of months I will be ready so I am researching the heck out of gear everyday. So far the Master 9 is winning. 

I really want an official review from some noteworthy folks. When you launch a product its best to get it into the hands of someone who can post decent and detailed impressions of its sound. The only one I have read about this doesn't get much into its sound or provide any decent point of reference. Actually  it was a pretty worthless review in my opinion. 

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #125 of 2,267
  I already have a tube amp but would like a solid state and am trying to decide between the M9, Rag, and this.

I am leaning toward the M9 because though I think I would prefer the Rags layering abilities the single ended socket is worthless. Plus I already have a tube amp that is here to stay. In a couple of months I will be ready so I am researching the heck out of gear everyday. So far the Master 9 is winning. 

I really want an official review from some noteworthy folks. When you launch a product its best to get it into the hands of someone who can post decent and detailed impressions of its sound. The only one I have read about this doesn't get much into its sound or provide any decent point of reference. Actually  it was a pretty worthless review in my opinion. 

Guess you are referring to my review. Thanks for the flowers :wink: I wrote in this review what I feel comfortable sharing with others. Let me explain why I didn't go into details about sound description in my review:

ifi didn't give it to me to review - I happened to know a distributor who sells it and I borrowed the demo unit from him to listen to it for my own pleasure - I am not a professional reviewer, I don't get paid and don't get free stuff from ifi or the distributor and I only write reviews about stuff I really like. I happen to have really like a lot of ifi products.

My reference points are: Burson Conductor, Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon, Bottlehead Crack, iDSD micro, iDSD Nano, various DAPs and other stuff in my profile.

In which setting would you want to have a comparison?

solid state mode, tube mode, hybrid mode? (3) 
output balanced or single ended? (2)
with which headphone? (unlimited)
with which of the 3D (4)
or XBass settings (4)
with which gain settings (3)
balanced input or RCA/single ended (2)

= 576 combinations that all affect the sound to a certain extend.

Am sorry but I decided that I am not going too much into the sound description with flowery explanations about this amp. I leave this to other reviewers that have a better command over the English language than I have and have better terminology to describe the sound they hear. There are too many variables for me to deal with and as mentioned, I might lack the right vocabulary in any case. Having said that, this amp can be the cleanest, flattest, amp with a precision, I find simply breathtaking, with blackness that sucks you into a black hole or a musical and emotional one that is not as precise but coherent and "wholesome", with the most engaging sound and body to it. It also depends which headphones you use, some work better in the solid state mode (Hifiman), some work wonders in the tube mode (Audeze), some  better in hybrid mode (Sennheiser). It can have a normal soundstage or a terrific enhanced one. It can do so much, since it's so customizable with it's switches. 

And as you know - tube amps can change quite dramatically depending on the tubes you use, so even if I compare to the Bottlehead Crack - it means nothing if you don't use the exact same tubes like I do.

So - I simply gave up - this amp can do it all - I heard the Ragnarok and liked it a lot, I heard Master 9 but not long enough to allow a proper comparison and I didn't A/B with of these with the Pro iCan. I spend some time with a WA-5LE and to be honest: I would go with the Pro iCan just because you can tune it to make your headphones sound amazing. And I would not miss a thing (compared to the others mentioned) in my opinion and to my ears.

Every headphone I own and that I tried on this amp sounded better than with the amps I have. The LCD-2 for example - never sounded that good before. I was floored. 

That thing is the real deal. For its price - its unbeatable. I don't have one yet, hope to get one this year. 

Cheers!

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #126 of 2,267

Guess you are referring to my review. Thanks for the flowers :wink: I wrote in this review what I feel comfortable sharing with others. Let me explain why I didn't go into details about sound description in my review:

ifi didn't give it to me to review - I happened to know a distributor who sells it and I borrowed the demo unit from him to listen to it for my own pleasure - I am not a professional reviewer, I don't get paid and don't get free stuff from ifi or the distributor and I only write reviews about stuff I really like. I happen to have really like a lot of ifi products.

I get it. Not to be hyper critical but I find this post even more informative to a certain extent and appreciate you not giving much of an attitude in defending yourself. Thanks for the response. 

You got a lot of likes from that review so it may have helped others. I simply want to see such a beast bench marked against another high end piece of gear. I wanted a review unit but since I do not have as many headphones ( sold  a lot of them to purchase my Pavane) I don't feel up for the task. My goal is to have another headphone amp that can compete with TOTL solid state amps but I am a bit apprehensive. I may crumble under the curiosity though and end up with one. 

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #127 of 2,267
I get it. Not to be hyper critical but I find this post even more informative to a certain extent and appreciate you not giving much of an attitude in defending yourself. Thanks for the response. 

You got a lot of likes from that review so it may have helped others. I simply want to see such a beast bench marked against another high end piece of gear. I wanted a review unit but since I do not have as many headphones ( sold  a lot of them to purchase my Pavane) I don't feel up for the task. My goal is to have another headphone amp that can compete with TOTL solid state amps but I am a bit apprehensive. I may crumble under the curiosity though and end up with one. 

Cheers!!!

Yes, I understand your need and I would love to help, but simply can't as I haven't done a comparison or benchmark - I listened exclusively to that thing for about a week and loved every minute of it. Wanted to try as many headphones with it as possible and as you can see, I don't have any of the other totl amps so naturally my opinion wouldn't help that much in any case as I don't trust my auditory memory that much over a long period of time.

I don't think you would regret the purchase. :wink: though it looks less impressive than a master 9 or Rag.

Cheers.

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #128 of 2,267
grizzlybeast Hey I'm set to review the Pro iCan for The Headphone List, I'll be comparing it to the Taurus Mk.2, Herron 5, Liquid Carbon and MicroZOTL 2. Though I am absolutely convinced that Koolpep's command of the English Language is superior to mine, I'll attempt to provide you with the comparisons you seek.

Jun 30, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #129 of 2,267
grizzlybeast Hey I'm set to review the Pro iCan for The Headphone List, I'll be comparing it to the Taurus Mk.2, Herron 5, Liquid Carbon and MicroZOTL 2. Though I am absolutely convinced that Koolpep's command of the English Language is superior to mine, I'll attempt to provide you with the comparisons you seek.

Great!

When will I see it?

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #130 of 2,267
Great!

When will I see it?

I'm doing the MZ2 now, then IFi, followed by the American CIEM shootout, so probably August/September, but it's arriving Saturday so I'm more than happy to provide impressions via PM or phone call.

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #131 of 2,267
Great!

When will I see it?

I'm doing the MZ2 now, then IFi, followed by the American CIEM shootout, so probably August/September, but it's arriving Saturday so I'm more than happy to provide impressions via PM or phone call.

Heck yeah... PM me with some first impressions when you're ready!!

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #133 of 2,267
I recently bought Pro iCan for mainly a Pre-amp use.
I used to use Khozmo passive preamp but it started to create a big noise when changing volume levels. I was fine with the sound but had to replace it as it might damage speakers or power amp in the future.

I started to use Pro iCan only 3 days ago and seems need more time to evaluate.  However, it is already making a pleasant sound. I am using a tube mode. For my system, Tube+ made the balance of sound to too much bass. Tube is just good for me now.

Since I changed,  needless to say it made more tube sound than passive one. More Bass and Mid than before but they are clear. So far, I am happy with my purchase.

My power amp is MC275 IV and DAC is Weiss DAC2 using a balanced connections.

I found the remote make very little change in the level, you need to click many times to move it many levels. Also, it becomes very hot even for a pre-amp use.

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #134 of 2,267
Your remote isn't working correctly,mine was the same and Ifi swapped it for one that worked normally

Jul 4, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #135 of 2,267
Thanks for telling me. I have to click more than 100 times to move volume from 0 to 12 o'clock position....

I contacted my dealer and they asked me to return a whole set to check it.... It sucks!! ....I wished to receive only the remote....
But I will send back anyway. Thanks for sharing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back