ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jun 19, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #106 of 2,267
So I must not be so skeptical of power supply and such.

I have this loaner iFi Ican SE and it punches WAYYYYY above its price in performance. This little thing is kind of embarrassing my Nuprime HPA-9 with better transient response, snappiness and separation. That amp itself was preferred to the Airist Heron 5. After hearing this little sucker plugged into my PAVANE I have the goal of the Ican Pro now and really have no worries as to its performance. If iFi can make my HE-5LE sing like this with just a meager little amp then I can only imagine what the Pro can do. 

@nmatheis
 Where is the official iFi iCan SE thread so I can post impressions appropriately? I searched and couldn't find it. 

I wonder how it will sound with the utopia! :)

Jun 19, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #107 of 2,267

I have this loaner iFi Ican SE and it punches WAYYYYY above its price in performance. This little thing is kind of embarrassing my Nuprime HPA-9 with better transient response, snappiness and separation. That amp itself was preferred to the Airist Heron 5. After hearing this little sucker plugged into my PAVANE I have the goal of the Ican Pro now and really have no worries as to its performance. If iFi can make my HE-5LE sing like this with just a meager little amp then I can only imagine what the Pro can do. 

@nmatheis
 Where is the official iFi iCan SE thread so I can post impressions appropriately? I searched and couldn't find it. 

I wonder how it will sound with the utopia! :)

Summit fi x 2. Unimaginable.

Jun 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #109 of 2,267
Think the Focal Utopia aims to surpass the HD800S HE1K etc. Big goal with a big price tag.

http://www.cnet.com/news/could-this-be-the-worlds-best-headphone/

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #110 of 2,267

@nmatheis

I've heard them both. I have the iCAN Pro, and it simply kills the the SE.

I'm going to write an official review for the iCAN Pro, but as of right now I can say that it really is a Jack of all trades, master of all.

My only caveat is that I'm in for the iDSD Pro, and that's the one that I've been waiting for since I first heard of the Pro models...way more than the iCAN Pro. So, if the iDSD Pro has the exact same SS, Tube and Tube+, feeding any amp?...Wow!

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #111 of 2,267
interesting.....well i could sell my ifi imicro idsd and newly tweaked mad ear+hd
to raise funds for this baby
wink.gif
...but would still need a good dac.
for cans I have the senn hd650

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #112 of 2,267
Anyone hear anything about the ESL module? The price, form factor (pics???) and any listening impressions will all be of very great interest...

Also curious if those of you with the iCan Pro are intending to get the iDSD Pro when it comes out as well? Has there been a shared target price point for that as of yet?

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #113 of 2,267
  Anyone hear anything about the ESL module? The price, form factor (pics???) and any listening impressions will all be of very great interest...

Also curious if those of you with the iCan Pro are intending to get the iDSD Pro when it comes out as well? Has there been a shared target price point for that as of yet?

I don't know about the ESL module, but even though I have the iCAN Pro right now, my true plan, all along, was for the iDSD Pro. I believe it's going to be a game changer, even above the Yggy. The last I heard we are looking at the iDSD Pro somewhere in the $2000 USD range, maybe less.

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #114 of 2,267

I don't know about the ESL module, but even though I have the iCAN Pro right now, my true plan, all along, was for the iDSD Pro. I believe it's going to be a game changer, even above the Yggy. The last I heard we are looking at the iDSD Pro somewhere in the $2000 USD range, maybe less.

Sorry, but how could it possibly be a game changes. At best, it will be a better DAC with XBass and 3D sound, possibly MQA. MQA technology is a game changer. What is expected in the pro iDSD that would be a game changer? Yggy performance at half the cost? 

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #115 of 2,267

Thank you. If the iDSD can hang with the Yggy and the feedback on the iCAN continues to point to a really high performance piece of kit, this will be a very attractive combo. I have a growing interest in estats so the ESL module would be frosting on the cake.

Jun 20, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #116 of 2,267

Sorry, but how could it possibly be a game changes. At best, it will be a better DAC with XBass and 3D sound, possibly MQA. MQA technology is a game changer. What is expected in the pro iDSD that would be a game changer? Yggy performance at half the cost? 

As far as I am aware, the iDSD Pro will not have XBASS or 3D.

For that you will have to add the iCAN Pro.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #117 of 2,267
As far as I am aware, the iDSD Pro will not have XBASS or 3D.

For that you will have to add the iCAN Pro.

True. IFi confirmed that a while back.

Wish the iDSD Pro would at least keep the basics of the Micro series intact.

Too bad iFi didn't put a dac inside the iCan Pro. They could corner the desktop hi-fi market with something like that (the Retro 50 was a great move but no balanced outputs and not having the ss/tube/tube+ of the Pro limits its appeal).

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #118 of 2,267
Jun 20, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #119 of 2,267

read.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702376/ifi-audio-pro-desktop-line-discussion-thread/1110#post_12518695

OK, so you are referring to the sort of hybrid SD/R2R chip?

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #120 of 2,267
OK, so you are referring to the sort of hybrid SD/R2R chip?

The implementation of the BB chips, yes, from my understanding, which is why I let iFi speak for themselves in the links. Moreover, I'm not sure what new technology that iFi is implementing, but they've alluded to it, which is why it's taken longer than expected to hit the market. Could it be MQA? I don't know.

The fact is, to me anyway, the iDSD micro has gone head to head with much more expensive DACs, and this is what I have in my rig now, having tested many. I mean, I owe it to myself to try iFi's flagship. I would be a fool not to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back