ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jun 6, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #91 of 2,267
I didn't realise these tubes last that long. Some tube experts on the 5670 thread spooked me and I've been real precious with my iTube, turning it off when not listening but hate waiting for it to warm up when I want to use it. All that on and off supposedly reduce its life too so it's ironic. I might leave it permanently on now, until the tube goes flat in 7-8 years, or is that also a bad idea?

I'd be more worried about the constant heat from being on 24/7. My iTube has a single 5670 and the whole enclosure gets pretty hot. Besides, seems to hit it's stride after about 20min warm-up.

Good point. I measured with an IR and it's up to 40C. Wasn't too bothered as I once had stereo amps that could fry an egg on. This seems manageable. Now the hit on my electricity bill and the subsequent strangling from my Wife, that's could be a concern.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #92 of 2,267

Technical Notes series

Introduction
The “Pro series” is the flagship of the iFi range. It is an advanced, ‘one-of-a-kind’ design to perfectly suit both the professional audio and home audio sectors.

With 14,000mW output power and a vast range of adjustments, the Pro iCAN is a state-of-the-art component that drives ALLheadphones, even electrostatic headphones like STAX (with the special external ESL module).

Here is some insight into the technologies used in the Pro iCAN which is packed with trickle-down technology from AMR.

Contents:
Tech Note 1: When Balanced is NOT Balanced
  1. Typical unbalanced ‘Balanced’ headphone amplifier
  1. True ‘Balanced’ Pro iCAN
  2. The ‘Balanced’ connection [tech note on the balanced connectors]

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 8, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #93 of 2,267

Tech Note 1:

True Differential Balanced®

At the upper end of the headphone amplifier market, despite the best protestations of  ‘balanced’ things are not always what they seem. This is a curious case of ‘Is balance balanced?’

For headphones, it DOES make good design sense to implement a balanced topology (the possibility of higher power, increase dynamic range and lower noise etc.) It goes without saying that the balanced design should be balanced all the way through, ‘end-to-end.’

1. The typical not-so ‘Balanced’ headphone amplifier

Input/Output:           Balanced
Internal Circuitry:    Single-Ended

The majority of ‘balanced’ high-ended headphone amplifiers are actually single-ended amplifiers with balanced inputs and outputs. The balanced input will be converted into single-ended operation inside the amplifier, then converted back to balanced just before the output:

The following block diagram depicts the balanced input through to the amplifier (orange) which afterwards, reverts to single-ended and runs through many single-ended stages before then going to the balanced outputs.

In detail: The balanced input signal will first be converted into single-ended operation by extra circuitry added to the single-ended signal path. The volume control and actual headphone amplifier are formed by a pure, single-ended circuit.

To provide balanced drive to the headphone, the signal is inverted using more circuitry added to the single-ended audio path.

A sure fire giveaway of such circuitry is the use of a 2-Deck volume control (c.f. 4-Deck for true balanced circuitry), as well as having more than four gain/current buffer blocks among two channels.

At the input, the additional balanced to single-ended conversion circuit generates extra noise on top of the volume control pot.

At the output, the inverter circuit used to create the balanced signal simply doubles the signal, noise and distortion of the amplifier, nothing is reduced or cancelled, only added. So one gets double the signal but also double the noise and distortion.

Hence this is truly a case where MORE IS LESS. There is much more circuitry, but far lesser performance, both objectively and subjectively.

2. True Differential Balanced® - Pro iCAN

Input/Output:           Balanced
Internal Circuitry:    Balanced

The Pro iCAN however, is true balanced end-to-end, from the input all the way through to the outputs. It operates with full-differential internal signaling, meaning the signal is always remains two separate signals of equal level but opposite polarity. This is what we call True Differential Balanced®.

In detail: The Pro iCAN circuit is fully-balanced with completely equal circuit sections for Positive (Hot) and Negative (Cold) signal phase of each channel. The Volume control has 6-Decks, two decks each control the volume of one channel, and the other two decks are used for monitoring the volume control operation. This exceptional volume control potentiometer is custom made for iFi by ALPS Japan and has no parallel from other makers.

But, as the two halves of the volume control and the two halves of the amplification operate differentially, they effectively become a single stage. So the circuitry is highly elaborate in actual implementation, yet it comes down to the simplest design possible for a headphone amplifier, that is a volume control, a gain stage and a current buffer*.

Compared to a single-ended design with exactly the same circuit, True Differential Balanced® lowers noise by 3dB and also lowers THD dramatically over the. Additionally, it allows the signal level to be doubled, so True Differential Balanced® circuitry also produces 9dB (or 3 times) greater dynamic range.

Note:
In professional audio, ‘Balanced Amplifier’ only means the Input/Output connections are balanced, the internal circuits are actually single-ended (if the internal circuit is also balanced, it will be called differential).  

But in the Hi Fi world, most people view a ‘Balanced Amplifier’ as balanced all the way, from end-to-end, and incorrectly assume even the internal circuits are balanced.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 9, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #94 of 2,267
I have my iCan Pro burning in now.  I was surprised that it fits perfectly atop my Grace Design m920 (using as DAC).  They are the same footprint. Never thought I'd have a piece of gear small enough to put on top of the Grace.

I've not had enough time w/ the ican Pro to give much in the way of impressions except to say it really has no problem driving the HE-6.  I was skeptical after reading the claims but it's true- w/ the gain on +9db I never go above 12 O'clock on the volume pot and am usually around 10 or 11 O' clock (running balanced all the way).

I hear a difference w/ the X Bass but prefer it off.  I can tell the tube and tube+ are something special and am already contemplating the 396A / 2C51 tubes. Correct me if I am wrong but I think that tube can be used w/o adaptor????

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #95 of 2,267
I received an email from iFi that the WE396A /2C51 will work in the Pro w/o an adaptor.  Downside is they also said replacing the tubes will void the warranty.  I can see their point since the case has to be opened to roll in new tubes  - just a bummer

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #96 of 2,267
I received an email from iFi that the WE396A /2C51 will work in the Pro w/o an adaptor.  Downside is they also said replacing the tubes will void the warranty.  I can see their point since the case has to be opened to roll in new tubes  - just a bummer

Why would y'all want to tube roll this, anyway? The GE5670 is like the unflubbiest tube while imparting real warmth to the audio. I was a big 6922 lover until I heard these little guys. Plus, they've been rejuvinated as matched pairs.

Jun 10, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #97 of 2,267
Agreed.  I just have a good memory of my old Single power extreme w/ WE396A driver tube that made such a  difference.  The 5670s are excellent and I think I'll stay put until the warranty runs out.  Why do people roll tubes?  Maybe just b/c it's fun and an audiophile addiction...

Jun 10, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #98 of 2,267
  Agreed.  I just have a good memory of my old Single power extreme w/ WE396A driver tube that made such a  difference.  The 5670s are excellent and I think I'll stay put until the warranty runs out.  Why do people roll tubes?  Maybe just b/c it's fun and an audiophile addiction...

Oh, I get the love of rolling tubes! I used to do it, too, back before I discovered I was more of a SS guy, with only sometimes needing tubes (depending on the music). I was just asking about the need to roll these tubes, not tube rolling in general.

But like I said, I'm a big fan of the 6922, so these iFi stock tubes are perfect for me; therefore, I might not be the best judge of any other tubes to satisfy that itch. That's just a happy coincidence that iFi stocks their gear with the same tubes that I dig.

I'm kind of glad I'm out of the tube rolling game, though, because that was getting expensive!

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #99 of 2,267
NativeDSD's 20% discount on the previous Quad DSD tracks - Album version!

The overwhelming wave of feedback about this first ever Quad DSD (256fs) Sampler Album included many compliments about the choice of tracks! The percussion ensemble on track 1, the voice/guitar jazz duo on track 2, the baroque solo cellist on track 3 and the classical pianist on track 4... Well, guess what? 

Those 4 Quad DSD albums on which those 4 tracks can be found are now available with a 20% discount!

Once any or all album(s) are in your cart, apply the coupon code: 4xQUAD

** Valid through June 30th, on the Quad DSD (256fs) downloads ** Any DSD 256fs purchase generates the free option to download the Double DSD (128fs) and DSD (64fs) versions as well!

1). Smoke & Mirrors - Vanish

by: Yarlung Records (YAR15195)
https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com/albums/smoke-mirrors-vanish

2). 8 Ensembles in 1 Bit
by: Just Listen (JL002)
https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/albums/jl0028-ensembles-in-1-bit

3). Bach Cello Suites (Vol. 1)
by: Navis Classics (NC15003)
https://navisclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/NC15003-bach-cello-suites-vol-1

4). Dialogue (Mozart & Chopin)
by: Eudora Records (EUDDR1402)
https://eudora.nativedsd.com/albums/mozart-chopin-dialogue

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #101 of 2,267
Hi,
I'd like to ask a question both of iFi and of any folks here who are currently using the iCan Pro.
I recently bought a Sennheiser HD800s, and also own a Nighthawk and a T5p2, but I never got to use the HD800 until I also got my amp/dac, which was the new Queststyle 600i.
I actually wanted to go for the iCan Pro but it's price (and still needing a dac to use with it) decided on the Queststyle for me, especially as it's a self-contained fully balanced amp and dac in the same chassis.
However, as soon as I started using it there was a problem. Once or twice in any given song (especially noticeable in quieter music) there would be one, sometime two times, when there would be a tiny 'glitch' sound that I would hear over the music. Remember when playing vinyl one might hear the odd bit of noise or click or whatnot? That is what this was like. I could never get through one track without hearing it once or twice.
The supplier suggested several things - different usb cable from unit to Mac; use different usb port; use different playback software (I tried iTunes, Pure Music and aurdivarna) .... And more besides. Nothing, no change.

I Sent the unit back and they could not hear it. At which point they thought it was likely a result of my Mac using El Capitan, which apparently has given lots of folks out there issues with audio playback? When using all the same equipment and 'phones with my dragonfly red (via dragon tail to Mac) I did not once hear these 'glitches'

Here is my problem: I am not about to go change my set-up. I am not leaving Macs. I cannot (and do not want to) revert to an earlier operating system.

So ....... Firstly - do any of you out there with either the iCan Pro (or other equipment) using Macs on El Capitan experience these 'issues'?

Secondly, to iFi - do you know of this, or are aware of this possible issue and have you tested the iCan Pro on Macs using current build operating system?

The supplier I bought the Queststyle from was exceedingly helpful for which i am very grateful as I am now getting a refund, but he also said that if I now go and purchase the iCan Pro I will have the same problem.
I really do not want to scrape together the extra £500 for the iFi (plus whatever for a dac!), and then find myself in a pickle, trying to once again see if I can get a refund.

I would hugely appreciate any advice that head-fiers, and especially iFi, could give me on this matter.

Many thanks.

P.s. To iFi - if you respond: if I went for the iCan Pro it would use my entire budget and the only way I could get a dac would be to try and sell a few books and go for an inexpensive dac, at least for the next year or so. Would you have any recommendations for an inexpensive dac that would not simply waste the potentiality of the iCan Pro, but which would at least give me a portion of its performance that would be worthwhile. I am assuming that the dragonfly red might not be adequate? I would probably be able to stretch in the immediate term up to around £300 for a dac if I sold my few remaining collectable books.

Thank you, and one and all - be well.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #102 of 2,267
Hi,
I'd like to ask a question both of iFi and of any folks here who are currently using the iCan Pro.
I recently bought a Sennheiser HD800s, and also own a Nighthawk and a T5p2, but I never got to use the HD800 until I also got my amp/dac, which was the new Queststyle 600i.
I actually wanted to go for the iCan Pro but it's price (and still needing a dac to use with it) decided on the Queststyle for me, especially as it's a self-contained fully balanced amp and dac in the same chassis.
However, as soon as I started using it there was a problem. Once or twice in any given song (especially noticeable in quieter music) there would be one, sometime two times, when there would be a tiny 'glitch' sound that I would hear over the music. Remember when playing vinyl one might hear the odd bit of noise or click or whatnot? That is what this was like. I could never get through one track without hearing it once or twice.
The supplier suggested several things - different usb cable from unit to Mac; use different usb port; use different playback software (I tried iTunes, Pure Music and aurdivarna) .... And more besides. Nothing, no change.

I Sent the unit back and they could not hear it. At which point they thought it was likely a result of my Mac using El Capitan, which apparently has given lots of folks out there issues with audio playback? When using all the same equipment and 'phones with my dragonfly red (via dragon tail to Mac) I did not once hear these 'glitches'

Here is my problem: I am not about to go change my set-up. I am not leaving Macs. I cannot (and do not want to) revert to an earlier operating system.

So ....... Firstly - do any of you out there with either the iCan Pro (or other equipment) using Macs on El Capitan experience these 'issues'?

Secondly, to iFi - do you know of this, or are aware of this possible issue and have you tested the iCan Pro on Macs using current build operating system?

The supplier I bought the Queststyle from was exceedingly helpful for which i am very grateful as I am now getting a refund, but he also said that if I now go and purchase the iCan Pro I will have the same problem.
I really do not want to scrape together the extra £500 for the iFi (plus whatever for a dac!), and then find myself in a pickle, trying to once again see if I can get a refund.

I would hugely appreciate any advice that head-fiers, and especially iFi, could give me on this matter.

Many thanks.

P.s. To iFi - if you respond: if I went for the iCan Pro it would use my entire budget and the only way I could get a dac would be to try and sell a few books and go for an inexpensive dac, at least for the next year or so. Would you have any recommendations for an inexpensive dac that would not simply waste the potentiali

ity of the iCan Pro, but which would at least give me a portion of its performance that would be worthwhile. I am assuming that the dragonfly red might not be adequate? I would probably be able to stretch in the immediate term up to around £300 for a dac if I sold my few remaining collectable books.

The ican pro is an amp, so the OS of the computer is not relevant. The DAC is the only interface to the computer.

Try a Schiit wyrd or Amber regen or an optical connection.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #103 of 2,267
Hi,

Many thanks.

P.s. To iFi - if you respond: if I went for the iCan Pro it would use my entire budget and the only way I could get a dac would be to try and sell a few books and go for an inexpensive dac, at least for the next year or so. Would you have any recommendations for an inexpensive dac that would not simply waste the potentiality of the iCan Pro, but which would at least give me a portion of its performance that would be worthwhile. I am assuming that the dragonfly red might not be adequate? I would probably be able to stretch in the immediate term up to around £300 for a dac if I sold my few remaining collectable books.

It's likely the DAC section of your Questyle that is the problem, because it's fine when you use another DAC, i.e the Dragonfly Red. You could check out the iDAC2 if you're looking for another DAC.

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #104 of 2,267
So I must not be so skeptical of power supply and such.

I have this loaner iFi Ican SE and it punches WAYYYYY above its price in performance. This little thing is kind of embarrassing my Nuprime HPA-9 with better transient response, snappiness and separation. That amp itself was preferred to the Airist Heron 5. After hearing this little sucker plugged into my PAVANE I have the goal of the Ican Pro now and really have no worries as to its performance. If iFi can make my HE-5LE sing like this with just a meager little amp then I can only imagine what the Pro can do. 

@nmatheis Where is the official iFi iCan SE thread so I can post impressions appropriately? I searched and couldn't find it. 

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #105 of 2,267
So I must not be so skeptical of power supply and such.

I have this loaner iFi Ican SE and it punches WAYYYYY above its price in performance. This little thing is kind of embarrassing my Nuprime HPA-9 with better transient response, snappiness and separation. That amp itself was preferred to the Airist Heron 5. After hearing this little sucker plugged into my PAVANE I have the goal of the Ican Pro now and really have no worries as to its performance. If iFi can make my HE-5LE sing like this with just a meager little amp then I can only imagine what the Pro can do. 

@nmatheis Where is the official iFi iCan SE thread so I can post impressions appropriately? I searched and couldn't find it. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/790869/ican-micro-se-thanks-to-meze-you-guys-are-great-things-are-a-rockin

Wait till you hear it with the iTube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back