ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
May 27, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #47 of 2,267
Drooling more now. Just curious what test tracks did you use?

Santana - Black Magic Woman
Eagles - Hotel California (Hell Freezes Over Live Version)
Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven (Acoustic)
John Martyn - Strange Fruit
Pink Martini - Tea for Two
Hooverphonic - My Autumn's Done Come
Brad Mehldau - Song Song
Nina Simone - Wild is the Wind
Bebel Gilberto - Samba e Amor

Anne Sophie Mutter - Carmen Fantasie - Zigeunerweisen Op. 20
Anne Sophie Mutter - Carmen Fantasie - Meditation
Orchestre de la Suisse Romande - Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake - Act II: Scene and Pas de Deux
Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier Suite - Ravel - Bolero

Massive Attack - Angel
Henrik Schwarz - Unknown Touch
Gui Boratto - Arquipelago

Good list of tracks. Looks like the amp sounds good across many genres.

May 28, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #48 of 2,267
I got my iCan Pro last week and have been burning it in continuously for the past week (~120hrs). Here are some quick listening impressions of the amp thru a pair of HD800S. 

Settings: Solid state mode, XBass and 3D Holographic off, 0 gain, 4-pin XLR output

Sound: The iCan Pro offers a beautiful creamy mid-range, deep slamming bass and sweet silky treble, with the most organic and natural tonality out of all my previous amps (hdva600, bha-1). It is easy to appreciate how the different elements of a recording are presented in their own 3-dimensional spaces with pinpoint precision in a wide and deep, holographic soundstage. The amp is able to faithfully reproduce the delicate nuances of any recording. It is incredibly smooth with no hint of grain even on solid state mode, and yet can sound enthusiastic and dynamic when the music calls for it. Taken together, the experience is nothing short of stunning.

I'm loving it and it ranks among the best headphone amps at any price. :D  

Have you tried any of the bass or 3D settings?

May 28, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #50 of 2,267
I agree with your comments about creamy smoothness even more so on the Tube+ setting,so far very impressed

May 28, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #52 of 2,267
i reckon between 2 to 3 kg

It's less than that. I actually think it's too light. With the big solid plugs and cables, it slid around a but and I always had to use my other than to keep it in place...

This is my ONLY complaint about this amp. Everything else is really really absolutely amazing. Value for money is outstanding imho.

Cheers.

May 30, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #57 of 2,267
  I had the SE here for an extended trial.  There is no comparison between the two units, IMHO.  I have a Cavalli Liquid Carbon here until my Gold arrives and thought the LC was a much better sounding amp than the SE (for brevity I will leave out all the sonic verbiage).  The PRO is extremely good.  I was truly not expecting it to be this good (actually hoping).  I recognize iFi has always made excellent products when weighed against price versus the competition but I was very leery about their ability to jump to the "high end".  While I get the price differential, this could easily be a person's endgame purchase as it is that good, will meet all your future needs should you decide to move in a different direction including electrostatics with their add on module.  It is incredibly flexible, built like a tank with a sound to die for.  It will bring out the best of your cans.  It really is a huge step up from the SE.  It gets my highest praise and despite it's price I think it is a bargain.  

I know that the ifi ican se needed 500 hours to even be able to compare to the previous ifi ican. are you sure your unit was well break in?

May 31, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #59 of 2,267
  I wanna know how this compares to some of the other headphone amps out there. Especially as a solid state amp since I have a tube amp already. 

I have owned the Sennheiser HDVA600 and Bryston BHA-1 prior to the iFi iCan Pro. I would rank them in the following order:

iFi iCan Pro >> Bryston BHA-1 > Sennheiser HDVA600

The iCan Pro is the most powerful amp by far, and it exceeds the other amps in most aspects (i.e. detail, tonality, richness, smoothness, imaging, sound stage, dynamic contrast). 

May 31, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #60 of 2,267
My review is up:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-pro-ican/reviews/16100

I am absolutely excited about this amp. Had to return the review loaner but will have to save up to get this baby. It's really amazing bang for the buck and the versatility really makes it an amp that can do it all.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back