ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Nov 20, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #409 of 2,267
Just purchased from Adorama and waiting for delivery. :)
Pardon my newbiness, and embarrassed to ask but any reason to use a separate DAC with this?

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #410 of 2,267
Just purchased from Adorama and waiting for delivery.
smily_headphones1.gif

Pardon my newbiness, and embarrassed to ask but any reason to use a separate DAC with this?

A DAC is in everything. It is what converts Digital to Analog so it can be audible. How the sound is converted to Analog makes a huge difference in the sound quality being heard. Some units, even more expensive than this amp, still have a somewhat digital sound to the conversion and make the music less natural. 

The same way an amp can sound murky, bassy or bass light, midrange heavy or thin etc etc is the same way a DAC can sound and the built in DAC of your computer is not really good enough for an amp of this caliber or hardly any amp for that matter. My DAC is the most expensive part of my chain and the most important to me. I would never really know what the amp is capable of unless I have a good DAC to enable it. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #411 of 2,267
Thank you for the explanation...

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #412 of 2,267
smily_headphones1.gif

You have to have some DAC to get the music into the amp to amplify it. The Pro iCan doesn't have a DAC. 

If you have RCA or 3.5mm line out from your source, you can start with that and it will work (you just need the right cables). You can then borrow DACs to see what might work for you.

The iDSD is a good DAC, as is the Modi Multibit. Both area reasonably priced. Obviously there are others.

the DAC and Amp likely will be the electronics that affect your source the least, as long as you have a decent amp and a decent DAC. Decent can be as inexpensive as the iFi Nano line or the Modi/Magni. Headphones and source (lossless vs lossy) are the place to start, then Amp and DAC and then when you are complex insanely into this "hobby", cables. After cables, vibration control! 

Nov 20, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #413 of 2,267
A DAC is in everything. It is what converts Digital to Analog so it can be audible. How the sound is converted to Analog makes a huge difference in the sound quality being heard. Some units, even more expensive than this amp, still have a somewhat digital sound to the conversion and make the music less natural. 

The same way an amp can sound murky, bassy or bass light, midrange heavy or thin etc etc is the same way a DAC can sound and the built in DAC of your computer is not really good enough for an amp of this caliber or hardly any amp for that matter. My DAC is the most expensive part of my chain and the most important to me. I would never really know what the amp is capable of unless I have a good DAC to enable it. 

You have to have some DAC to get the music into the amp to amplify it. The Pro iCan doesn't have a DAC. 

If you have RCA or 3.5mm line out from your source, you can start with that and it will work (you just need the right cables). You can then borrow DACs to see what might work for you.

The iDSD is a good DAC, as is the Modi Multibit. Both area reasonably priced. Obviously there are others.

the DAC and Amp likely will be the electronics that affect your source the least, as long as you have a decent amp and a decent DAC. Decent can be as inexpensive as the iFi Nano line or the Modi/Magni. Headphones and source (lossless vs lossy) are the place to start, then Amp and DAC and then when you are complex insanely into this "hobby", cables. After cables, vibration control! 

Excellent & informative! Thank you guys!

Nov 24, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #414 of 2,267
Mine came yesterday from Adorama (ordered the LCD-3 plus Pro iCan combo deal that is still going and an unbelievable price).  The ifi Pro iCan is incredible.  Even using it as a speaker preamp it is the best I've ever heard.  The technical design of this is world class and I suspect I will never hear a better preamp or headphone amp. 

Don't let its size fool you.  Removing the power supply from the chassis was a smart design choice and I have no doubt their switching power supply is super clean.

I would seriously wait for the Pro iDSD as the rep in the other thread said "hopefully i don't have to wait long."

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #416 of 2,267

I think that's where I'm leaning as well. I ordered the same package from Adorama and get mine next week
smily_headphones1.gif
. Right now I have the Modi Multibit so I'll use that temporarily until the iDSD becomes available. 
I was also considering the Holo Audio Spring DAC Level 3 but it's a little out of my price range and according toTim Connor from KitsuneHiFi it'll be to at least till the end of December before they're back in stock do their popularity.

Nov 24, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #417 of 2,267
Yeah the combo deal is very hot IMHO, even better than the BF sale prices of each item by several hundred.

So far I don't care for my LCD-3's over my HD800's, but both sound very very good.

Here are some good technical FAQs on ican pro I found:

Their engineering team is world class, so I'm sure the Pro iDSD will beat all expectations.  Never heard of ifi before and only ordered the combo deal because of the price, but I'm way more into speakers than headphones.

Quote:
  I think that's where I'm leaning as well. I ordered the same package from Adorama and get mine next week
smily_headphones1.gif
. Right now I have the Modi Multibit so I'll use that temporarily until the iDSD becomes available. 
I was also considering the Holo Audio Spring DAC Level 3 but it's a little out of my price range and according toTim Connor from KitsuneHiFi it'll be to at least till the end of December before they're back in stock do their popularity.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #418 of 2,267

Did your LCD-3s come in a "sealed" package? I ask because I may sell them cause I'm pretty satisfied with my HD800S & Ether C's. I also am waiting for the Massdrop HD6XX's HP's so I may just get rid of the LCDs and use that money on a DAC.
Thanks for the link.

Nov 24, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #420 of 2,267
Yes, they came sealed (gold seal audeze sticker) and are well packaged.  Have you ever tried to return part of a combo deal to adorama.  The invoice lists the items separately and I'm fine with just getting a refund on the LCD-3's and keeping the Pro iCan for $1072.

Quote:

Did your LCD-3s come in a "sealed" package? I ask because I may sell them cause I'm pretty satisfied with my HD800S & Ether C's. I also am waiting for the Massdrop HD6XX's HP's so I may just get rid of the LCDs and use that money on a DAC.
Thanks for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back