ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Nov 5, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #2,117 of 2,267
Recently picked up a ican pro for the second time. Was curious, as this time around I've got a linear power supply for it.

Has anyone figured out the HDMI pin out on the back? I can't find much for it.
It's used to connect to the Pro iESL

Nov 6, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #2,118 of 2,267
Just replaced the stock GE tubes with a matched pair of WE JW 2C51 (same as 396 A) two days ago.
Sound difference is huge. They are a lot more "muddy" and analog sounding. Just wanted to smoothing my HE1000 V2 up, cause i'm treble sensitive.
I belive there is some burning in process going on. Sound becomes more linear. I'm consider to get some GE 5 stars for comparison. Any other suggestions?

img_32302yin3.jpeg
I just bought this unit (Signature model) a couple of days ago. Love the recommendation of the WE 396A tubes and just ordered some. I'll be feeding this unit from a Woo Audio WA22 (tube amp) through the preamp outputs.

In my 60's and I just love the tube sound. Once I get this all set up, will be ordering Susvaras with a return window. Bought the ICan based on research re power needs.

Nov 6, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #2,119 of 2,267
Some GE's 5 stars are on the way and should arrive in the upcoming week. They are really hard to find at the moment.

I will compare those to the WE's. I like the WE's a lot, but they sounds a bit too "spongy" when busy music is playing. Tube+ mode is sometimes a good compromise.

Someone combined the iCAN with a R2R DAC?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #2,120 of 2,267
Some GE's 5 stars are on the way and should arrive in the upcoming week. They are really hard to find at the moment.

I will compare those to the WE's. I like the WE's a lot, but they sounds a bit too "spongy" when busy music is playing. Tube+ mode is sometimes a good compromise.

I am about to pair my iCan with an R2R DAC, the Musician Pegasus. The DAC is arriving next week and then it needs some burn in time, but I will share my findings later on.

Nov 6, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #2,121 of 2,267
Very interesting! I've got my eye on the Pegasus aswell. I'm curious what you will report!

Which tubes do you use in the iCAN?

Nov 6, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #2,122 of 2,267
Very interesting! I've got my eye on the Pegasus aswell. I'm curious what you will report!

Which tubes do you use in the iCAN?
Just the stock tubes right now. If the pairing with the Pegasus works well, I will experiment with different tubes later on.

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #2,124 of 2,267
Yup, but knowing a bit about electrostatic transformers, I'm guessing the HDMI is only passing a 4 pin XLR signal out the back. Wiring up a HDMI connector could mean adding a SRD-7 to sit next to this for a nice compact set up
That would be nice indeed!

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #2,125 of 2,267
@rab900 I did with Rockna WaveLight. The problem is that iCAN is not on Rockna level IMHO so it was the weak link in the system chain. Not a bad pairing but not a perfect one either. Preferred it more in Tube/Tube+ mode but keep in mind that at the same time I had already AuroraSound HEADA which beats Pro iCan easliy.

PS: great avatar you have BTW, do you own one of those Saabs? Brilliant cars.

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #2,126 of 2,267
@rab900 I did with Rockna WaveLight. The problem is that iCAN is not on Rockna level IMHO so it was the weak link in the system chain. Not a bad pairing but not a perfect one either. Preferred it more in Tube/Tube+ mode but keep in mind that at the same time I had already AuroraSound HEADA which beats Pro iCan easliy.

Hello. What is the not good area of the Ican? At $1800 I think it is in totl realm

Nov 7, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #2,127 of 2,267

Yes, the iCAN is known for a huge versatility, not necessarily for the best sound quality.
In what "areas" do you think it's lagging behind?

PS: Yes, i own two Saab's at the moment (MY92 900i as in pic, MY04 9-5 Turbo) and various 9000, 9-3 in the past. I can't imagine driving anything else.
One expensive hobby is not enough :D

Nov 7, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #2,129 of 2,267
Hello. What is the not good area of the Ican? At $1800 I think it is in totl realm
@tamleo First of all I think this is a case of synergy - other amps have better synergy with Rockna. Secondly the difference between Tube and Tube+ modes are minimal and stock tubes are far from greatest. iCan is full of features but is not a master of any unless you really need 3d and Xbass and can not live without those. Do not get me wrong - I really like this amp and I think this an original Pro iCan has good value to price ratio. It is just that with Rockna WL there are other amps with better synergy. My HEADA costed a bit less than Pro iCan Signature BTW. However it all comes down to personal taste and it is all so subjective. However if you spend more time with better amps you will probably find out that this is not an end-game headphone amp.

Nov 7, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #2,130 of 2,267
ICan is good in everything but at the same time nothing the best.
Thank you @vonBaron - my point exactly :) The funny thing is that after few years of owning it I know I prefer SS mode most. There are so many better tube amps around however the solid state mode has something I would call old ifi house sound signature and sometimes I'm in mood for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back