ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Dec 6, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #1,621 of 2,267
Anyone know where I can find a good tube rolling guide for the iFi Pro iCAN? I just picked up a used one from Reddit, along with a couple of WE396As from eBay, and I want to make sure I don't screw it up.

Take 4 retaining rods out from the back using screwdriver , then the rest , plate comes off back then you can slide PCB out

Attachments

• 2FAC5412-E31F-4281-BFE7-8F078122509E.jpeg
    2FAC5412-E31F-4281-BFE7-8F078122509E.jpeg
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 0
Dec 7, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #1,624 of 2,267
I was sweating this because i didn't want to break anything, but truth be told it was stupid easy. Thanks again for the link + guidance!
I was too tbh , as long as you are not tough with pulling tubes out it’s a simple breakdown , i have WE396As in mine too also in the IDSD hehe

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #1,625 of 2,267
I put the GE 5 star in mine recently and couldn't be happier. About $50 for a matched pair. Quite an upgrade over stock and I'm finding I like them as much as the WE396A. If you go with those, I and others have had heat issues with them. I had 2 different matched pairs which would send the amp into protection mode until I found some O getter ones which worked fine. Those same tubes had no issues in a Valhalla 2. I'm someone who found little difference between the 3 modes with stock tubes, but find them all distinctly different with other tubes.

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #1,626 of 2,267
I put the GE 5 star in mine recently and couldn't be happier. About $50 for a matched pair. Quite an upgrade over stock and I'm finding I like them as much as the WE396A. If you go with those, I and others have had heat issues with them. I had 2 different matched pairs which would send the amp into protection mode until I found some O getter ones which worked fine. Those same tubes had no issues in a Valhalla 2. I'm someone who found little difference between the 3 modes with stock tubes, but find them all distinctly different with other tubes.

Appreciate the info! Seems like the WE396As are hit or miss with the iCAN. I saw a few folks on Reddit had problems with O getters going into protection mode as well. I really hope the WEs work though. I picked up a pair from a random antique collector on eBay for $70 (unmatched)
manufactured in 1958. Was approx. half the price of a fully matched set. I guess time will tell if they work out. Regardless, appreciate the info about the GE 5s. I'll definitely look into them if my WEs fail or the iCAN goes into protection mode.

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #1,627 of 2,267
Forgot to ask...

How would you characterize the sound comparex to the stock tubes and the WE396As?

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #1,628 of 2,267
Appreciate the info! Seems like the WE396As are hit or miss with the iCAN. I saw a few folks on Reddit had problems with O getters going into protection mode as well. I really hope the WEs work though. I picked up a pair from a random antique collector on eBay for $70 (unmatched)
manufactured in 1958. Was approx. half the price of a fully matched set. I guess time will tell if they work out. Regardless, appreciate the info about the GE 5s. I'll definitely look into them if my WEs fail or the iCAN goes into protection mode.
Feel free to DM me if needed. It was interesting because the 2 sets of D getters were the problematic ones, while the O getters worked fine.

As for the 5 stars vs. stock, I'm terrible with sound memory and swapping tubes is a bit of a pain, but really all I can say with any confidence is that they are distinctly different while with stock I struggled to find much difference between the 2 tubes modes and solid state. Like the WE 396A they produce a wide soundstage.

audiotubes.com has a number of compatible matched sets including some Raytheon versions which also worked well. The 5 stars were from arizonatubesupply.com

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #1,630 of 2,267
Anyone compared pro ican with the burson soloist 3x performance?

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #1,631 of 2,267
I'm returning to the states in 2 weeks. Can someone recommend me some headphones that would match well with the Ican pro? I want something quite different from the Clears. I'm still using mojo in my chain as any dac upgrades would be costly and i'd rather get more headphones. I have been more on IEMS than headphones, so this is a new world for me.

Dec 14, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #1,632 of 2,267
I'm returning to the states in 2 weeks. Can someone recommend me some headphones that would match well with the Ican pro? I want something quite different from the Clears. I'm still using mojo in my chain as any dac upgrades would be costly and i'd rather get more headphones. I have been more on IEMS than headphones, so this is a new world for me.
All the ZMFs I've owned (everything except the Eikon, which is on order) are excellent with the iCAN. Virtually all my listening is on the iCAN with either the Hugo 2 or Soekris 1421 as DAC.

Dec 14, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #1,633 of 2,267
All the ZMFs I've owned (everything except the Eikon, which is on order) are excellent with the iCAN. Virtually all my listening is on the iCAN with either the Hugo 2 or Soekris 1421 as DAC.
Mind giving me some tips of the specs, like cable and pads. I'm thinking of the atticus or aelous. Looking for a more pushed back presentation and not as much in your face like the clear. From my research the eikon and the auteur are more neutral in tuning, which i already have the anole vx and clears for.

Dec 14, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #1,634 of 2,267
Cables I can't hear differences in so to me even the stock one is fine, and the upgrade OFC for $60 is also excellent. Padwise, I've only had/heard suede when leather is stock, so others may be better for that. What I prefer are Aeolus-Universe Suede, Atticus-Ori suede, Auteur-Eikon suede, VO Universe or BE-2 suede, & VC Universe suede.

I've only had a short listen to the Clear 2 years ago, but owned the Elex which many find similar. The Elex had a pretty narrow soundstage, but I'd say really all the ZMFs have wider soundstages than the Elex. The Verite Open is the only one that feels more pushed back.

The Aeolus is probably the safest pick. I sold mine mostly because I find it similar to the Atticus and not as fun and a lesser version of the Verite Open which I purchased before the Aeolus. If I could only keep 1 open and 1 closed it would be the Auteur & the Verite Closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back