iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Feb 6, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #2,431 of 2,505
Anyone has experience with repairing the xDSD pcb out of warranty?
Got good deal from mate on device that works only with BT and spdif, the USB controller was fried by faulty ifi iGalvaniser. Unfortunately ifi support denied that is possible and won't accept their fault. Not going to spend 300GBP on new pcb from ifi as it exceeds price of whole device here.

I think the XMOS ic needs to be replaced as the usb data lines are burned, device is not getting recognised when connected to PC.

Mar 1, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #2,433 of 2,505
the USB controller was fried by faulty ifi iGalvaniser. Unfortunately ifi support denied that is possible and won't accept their fault.

Yes, that's not possible. There are quite a few of iGalvanic3.0 units out there and not a single such an issue.

Hi everyone

Hiya :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 3, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #2,434 of 2,505
Miss my xCAN. sold cause I don`t own any balanced cans and miss a DAC.(should buyed a xdsd first time, but I found a xCAN on sale) :wink:
are there a new xdsd on way? with only SE. (the old is discontinued)

why are all amps from ifi balanced?(idsd looks great, but big and costly)

A dealer selling a demo xds with 30% off. considering that.

Mar 3, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #2,435 of 2,505
Yes, that's not possible. There are quite a few of iGalvanic3.0 units out there and not a single such an issue.

Hiya :)
And you are saying this because you have sold few igalvanic devices? Any other proof? Never seen audio/computer hardware that got faulty? You must be the luckiest audio manufacturer in the world.
Do you ever consider that (assuming what you are saying is truth and there was no case like that in the past) it might be the first one? That the igalvanic was faulty? Unless you really trying to convince us that all your devices are so solid that none of them ever went faulty, lol.
Well, I hate to disappoint you but from the 5 ifi devices I've owned 3 of them developed some kind of hardware failure.

You say it is impossible and yet it happened. How you can be so sure? I work long enough with different peripherals to know that making this kind of statement is basically sign of either lack of knowledge on your part, denial or blaming customer and calling him liar. Whichever is true this is very unprofessional.

Worst part in this is that you are not even trying to resolve the issue and get into some kind of agreement with me, apart from replacing motherboard that costs more than device. You are going full denial and blame customer.

I have even proposed solution as there were none coming from your way. I have asked to be sold programmed XMOS chip (as this is the source of the issue) so I can replace myself. No response to that received neither.

Not nice neither professional from your part. Like Ive said, Ive owned (and still own) few of your devices, not going to buy any more. Also I think people on different forums should be made aware how do you treat customers reporting faulty hardware to you. Faulty by being damaged by another of your hardware - this is not treating, but if you treat customers like liars and ignore their claims you don't deserve people business, customers should be aware of your business attitude.

EDIT: you might get few questions as I have explained situation on few forums. People should know that you treat their customers like air once you got ther money,

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #2,436 of 2,505
And you are saying this because you have sold few igalvanic devices? Any other proof? Never seen audio/computer hardware that git faulty? You must be the luckiest audio manufacturer in the world.
Do you ever consider that (assuming what you are saying is truth and there was no case like that in the past) it might be the first one? That the igalvanic was faulty? Unless you really trying to convince us that all your devices are so solid that none of them ever went faulty, lol.
Well, I hate to disappoint you but from the 5 ifi devices I've owned 3 of them developed some kind of hardware failure.

You say it is impossible and yet it happened. How you can be so sure? I work long enough with different peripherals to know that making this kind of statement is basically sign of either lack of knowledge on your part, denial or blaming customer and calling him liar. Whichever is true this is very unprofessional.

Worst part in this is that you are not even trying to resolve the issue and get into some kind of agreement with me, apart from replacing motherboard that costs more than device. You are going full denial and blame customer.

Not nice neither professional from your part. Like Ive said, Ive owned (and still own) few of your devices, not going to buy any more. Also I think people on different forums should be made aware how do you treat customers reporting faulty hardware to you. Faulty by being damaged by another of your hardware - this is not treating, but if you treat customers like liars and ignore their claims you dont deserve people business, customers should be aware of your business attitude.

Hi there,

I've been chatting to our Support Team about your case and would like to clear the air.

You bought the product out of warranty, used by a friend. We ran the serial back and found that this specific xDSD is a few years old.

I understand where your coming from, but the iGalvanic does not affect products this way - the likely case is that the xDSD was already broken when you bought it.

We've been waiting for a reply on your STS ticket for the past few weeks.

We generally always try to meet customers halfway if they are willing to work with us to come to a solution.

Thank you!

Mar 3, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #2,437 of 2,505
Miss my xCAN. sold cause I don`t own any balanced cans and miss a DAC.(should buyed a xdsd first time, but I found a xCAN on sale) :wink:
are there a new xdsd on way? with only SE. (the old is discontinued)

why are all amps from ifi balanced?(idsd looks great, but big and costly)

A dealer selling a demo xds with 30% off. considering that.
In my view, the new xDSD (the gryphon) is a non-starter. It's simply too big.

As a USB DAC the original xDSD is already a bit of a clunker, even when paired with a dinky iPod Touch, it's only 'just about' pocketable in summer clothing. I would sooner downgrade to a Hip DAC than upgrade to a Gryphon.

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #2,438 of 2,505
New gryphon is bigger and more costly. But has adopted the power from the old xcan. Thats nice.
Gryphon, display and flashing neon lights.
Give us a new plain xdsd. Not bigger than the old and same power is ok. Not all want balanced.
I am Grado and Beyerdynamic DT fan. I don`t need balanced. But i like @iFi audio

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #2,439 of 2,505
Hi there,

I've been chatting to our Support Team about your case and would like to clear the air.

You bought the product out of warranty, used by a friend. We ran the serial back and found that this specific xDSD is a few years old.

I understand where your coming from, but the iGalvanic does not affect products this way - the likely case is that the xDSD was already broken when you bought it.

We've been waiting for a reply on your STS ticket for the past few weeks.

We generally always try to meet customers halfway if they are willing to work with us to come to a solution.

Thank you!
You have been not waiting for my reply as there was nothing to wait for.

Unless the igalvaniser is empty box you are right. But if it is what it is and has electronic componennts and during it's failure can take next device in chain.

You have never proposed any solution, halfway or any other way. Your support said it is impossible that iGalvaniser, when it went with smoke, meaning it failed, took the xDSD with it.
No offer was made. I have even proposed to buy just programmed XMOS chip that I can replace myself but I was completely ignored by your support.

So another lie from ifi side, it was me who was waiting few weeks for ifi's reply, not the other way.

Oh, forgot to thank you for blocking my access to my support tickets in you customer portal. Way to go, this is what I am talking about @iFi audio

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #2,440 of 2,505
You have been not waiting for my reply as there was nothing to wait for.

Unless the igalvaniser is empty box you are right. But if it is what it is and has electronic componennts and during it's failure can take next device in chain.

You have never proposed any solution, halfway or any other way. Your support said it is impossible that iGalvaniser, when it went with smoke, meaning it failed, took the xDSD with it.
No offer was made. I have even proposed to buy just programmed XMOS chip that I can replace myself but I was completely ignored by your support.

So another lie from ifi side, it was me who was waiting few weeks for ifi's reply, not the other way.

Oh, forgot to thank you for blocking my access to my support tickets in you customer portal. Way to go, this is what I am talking about @iFi audio

We did not block you from viewing your ticket, your ticket is still viewable.

Also, we do not ever sound out our boards to be installed by the customer.

As we replied, its status is on hold until we get more batteries to service your xDSD if you choose to send it back.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #2,441 of 2,505
@Sebastien Chiu and @docentore -- as much as I'm sure we all appreciate your back-and-forth, can you take your discussions to private message or the like?

At this point, I'm not sure what else is to be gained by airing the dirty laundry.

Thanks.

Mar 4, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #2,442 of 2,505
Way to go, this is what I am talking about @iFi audio

Please let's keep this thread civilized and, as per @U2Edge's suggestion, I'm happy to talk via PMs if you like. Sounds good :) ?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 5, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #2,443 of 2,505
@Sebastien Chiu and @docentore -- as much as I'm sure we all appreciate your back-and-forth, can you take your discussions to private message or the like?

At this point, I'm not sure what else is to be gained by airing the dirty laundry.

Thanks.
Moved discussion to PM with @iFi audio

We did not block you from viewing your ticket, your ticket is still viewable.

Also, we do not ever sound out our boards to be installed by the customer.

As we replied, its status is on hold until we get more batteries to service your xDSD if you choose to send it back.
I have never said my xDSD have broken battery, and explained this few times. You have been mixing my 2 support tickets. It's the iDSD Nano LE with exploded battery and damaged PCB.

Please let's keep this thread civilized and, as per @U2Edge's suggestion, I'm happy to talk via PMs if you like. Sounds good :) ?
Excellent, sent you PM.

No more trashing this thread, got attention that I was looking for, instead of radio silence before :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back