iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Mar 1, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #1,381 of 2,505
Where can I get such nice pieces to build the cable. :)

Thanks for the confirmation! I'm making a custom 3.5mm to Neutrik XLR4 for my Focal Elex and made the mistake of thinking it'd be the same as the 2.5mm balanced TRRS. Will update with progress.

UPDATE:
The imaging, the depth, the fullness of the Elex with the balanced cable makes a huge difference on the xDSD’s s-balanced circuit. Holy crap, the bass is so much juicier, everything is more defined. Jaw-droppingly better.
10250314.jpeg

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #1,386 of 2,505
Is there anyone shortly write something about matching iFi xDSD with a mid-centric iem? I have always seen neutral or bassy iems/headphones matched with it.

Actually I have Audio Technica ATH-E50, which could exactly be called balanced/neutral if its mids were a bit recessed. Sometimes I need some sub-bass depending on different genres, and also would appreciate xDSD if it won't put mids much forward than it already is. A few words would be appreciated friends.

Mar 2, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #1,391 of 2,505
Would it be possible to Add LDAC support over firmware update?

Any idea if there will be an xDSD with different coating?

I highly doubt it. LDAC is a Sony proprietary technology, which means iFi would have to license it out, and for the most part Sony keeps their technology to themselves. If the hardware is compatible, there is a greater chance to add aptX-HD.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #1,392 of 2,505
I highly doubt it. LDAC is a Sony proprietary technology, which means iFi would have to license it out, and for the most part Sony keeps their technology to themselves. If the hardware is compatible, there is a greater chance to add aptX-HD.

Actually, since Android 8.0, all phones that are Android phones HAVE LDAC included via a partnership between Sony Mobile and Google. So if iFi wanted to, they COULD get LDAC, which I would be 1000% for as LDAC is superior to ALL other audio codecs from what I've read. I would GLADLY pay extra to get LDAC. Just sayin', iFi. lol :L3000:

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #1,393 of 2,505
Actually, since Android 8.0, all phones that are Android phones HAVE LDAC included via a partnership between Sony Mobile and Google. So if iFi wanted to, they COULD get LDAC, which I would be 1000% for as LDAC is superior to ALL other audio codecs from what I've read. I would GLADLY pay extra to get LDAC. Just sayin', iFi. lol :L3000:

I stand corrected (I am not an Android guy), in which I am shocked by Sony not keeping it to themselves like they have in the past. Then again they are bleeding money these days. But there would still be licensing involved between iFi and Sony. Not to knock them, but I doubt iFi has the same reach as Google (but who does). Perhaps like BluRay, Sony is desperate to make their tech "The Standard" no matter the cost.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #1,394 of 2,505
I stand corrected (I am not an Android guy), in which I am shocked by Sony not keeping it to themselves like they have in the past. Then again they are bleeding money these days. But there would still be licensing involved between iFi and Sony. Not to knock them, but I doubt iFi has the same reach as Google does.

Yeah I was kinda shocked too. But Sony Mobile got a new CEO last year, and the upcoming Sony Xperia 1 is an accumulation of that CEO's decision to incorporate BOTH Sony's TV and camera departments' expertise to make a phone that defies expectation.........and will VERY LIKELY BE my next phone. (I expect it to be released within the next 2-3 months tops.)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #1,395 of 2,505
Yeah I was kinda shocked too. But Sony Mobile got a new CEO last year, and the upcoming Sony Xperia 1 is an accumulation of that CEO's decision to incorporate BOTH Sony's TV and camera department's expertise to make a phone that defies expectation.........and will VERY LIKELY BE my next phone.

Sony does make quality products, no doubt about that. My brother's NW-WM1Z is God-like! :upside_down:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back