iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Jun 11, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #1,621 of 2,506
Hi all!
Thinking about getting this device but with some doubts since one of the main uses would be with bluetooth (reason why I chose this one and not the Mojo) BUT always using Apple sources, so I guess with SBC only (?), and maybe I do not take all the juice out of it, any idea or solution?
someone with experience in this same iOS setup? thanks!

Jun 11, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #1,622 of 2,506
The most likely thing is that a previous version of Android had the ability, the other probably thing is that iFi know how to mess with Android to allow bit perfect with MQA signal to the xDSD (but most likely with legal circumstances), the other possibility is a tricked video by iFi. Who knows.

Let's park the discussion please. iFi makes headamps and DACs. Not Android Music Players. iFi is very much dependent on software developers who are willing to circumvent Android restrictions to enable Bitperfect/MQA. Since no vendors (except Google) are shipping their handsets with 100% standard Android builds, software developers keep hitting their heads against ever changing OS settings/limitations. Samsung for one is a manufacturer who knowingly/willingly modifies the Android audio stack to support their own internal DACs. Samsung couldn't care less if external DAC manufacturers like iFi are having a hard time with that. It's no wonder why there are so few external (or internal) DACs that support MQA. Aside from the fact that it requires an MQA license (at additional cost) it also causes headaches because both Android and iOS (as well as their device manufacturers) are so audiophile-unfriendly ..

According to my knowledge UAPP is the only one who has successfully bypassed the standard Android 16-bit audio renderer limitations and knows how to enable Bitperfect mode in order to allow MQA on Android devices (both for internal and external DACs). And the devices list that UAPP supports is constantly growing.

So instead of giving iFi a hard time about a video that represents something that was once working on a certain device with a certain Android build, let's respect the fact that they build awesome devices with awesome decoding capabilities ...

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #1,623 of 2,506
Hi all!
Thinking about getting this device but with some doubts since one of the main uses would be with bluetooth (reason why I chose this one and not the Mojo) BUT always using Apple sources, so I guess with SBC only (?), and maybe I do not take all the juice out of it, any idea or solution?
someone with experience in this same iOS setup? thanks!
Bluetooth with iOS devices will be AAC, not SBC.

Jun 11, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #1,624 of 2,506
If UAPP works with xDSD on outputing MQA then it means the problem isn't on xDSD but on whatever other music apps you are using on your smartphone (or maybe it is your smartphone as well). You are barking up the wrong tree.

nobody barking anywhere........

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #1,626 of 2,506
I thought that was only with iTunes files, and my music mainly comes from Tidal...
Can I stream HiFi/Master songs from the Tidal app in my phone to the xDSD with AAC codec?

You can stream them yes, but quality is limited by the codec. Its not the application that decides which codec is used, its the OS. The more bandwith the codec supports, the better the quality. But I read somewhere on Head-fi that AAC supports maximum 320-400kps . That alone makes that the iOS codecs will by design not be able to stream audiophile quality .. The xDSD however supports Aptx which offers a far greater bandwith and therefore quality. Unfortunately Apple so far only decided to support Aptx in their Macbooks. :)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,627 of 2,506
You can stream them yes, but quality is limited by the codec. Its not the application that decides which codec is used, its the OS. The more bandwith the codec supports, the better the quality. But I read somewhere on Head-fi that AAC supports maximum 320-400kps . That alone makes that the iOS codecs will by design not be able to stream audiophile quality .. :)
aaaaand AAC is the best thing I can get from iOS, right?

Jun 11, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #1,628 of 2,506
aaaaand AAC is the best thing I can get from iOS, right?

Yep ... I'd say go wired :) There are lighting to USB A cables that support external dacs, but you need to investigate which one supports true digital communication between iPhone and DAC/AMP

@iFi audio Any recommendations?

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #1,629 of 2,506
The xDSD however supports Aptx which offers a far greater bandwith and therefore quality. Unfortunately Apple so far only decided to support Aptx in their Macbooks. :)
I made some comparison : iphone SE (AAC) + xDSD vs LG G7 (aptX) + xDSD. The Android combo on the aptX wins, at least to my ears.

Jun 11, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #1,631 of 2,506
Yet ANOTHER reason to buy Android over Apple. lol :L3000:
But that were some Tidal tracks via Tidal app in case of iPhone and the same Tidal tracks via Tidal integrated into UAPP in case of LG.
Nevertheless, I don't think that UAPP makes any advantages over iOS in case of the Bluetooth connection. So to me the winner is the aptX.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #1,632 of 2,506
But that were some Tidal tracks via Tidal app in case of iPhone and the same Tidal tracks via Tidal integrated into UAPP in case of LG.
Nevertheless, I don't think that UAPP makes any advantages over iOS in case of the Bluetooth connection. So to me the winner is the aptX.
Sorry. UAPP over Bluetooth makes a noticeable improvement. It's right there in the settings. It doesn't make as large a difference as with wired connection, but there is definitely a positive audible effect

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #1,633 of 2,506
Sorry. UAPP over Bluetooth makes a noticeable improvement. It's right there in the settings. It doesn't make as large a difference as o we agreed connection, but there is definitely a positive audible effect
Well, I checked the settings - "Use with Bluetooth output" was disabled. Now I have to try it with this feature enabled)

Jun 11, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #1,634 of 2,506

Yeah others in this thread have done the same comparison you did (aptX vs. AAC) and at least some if not all of them felt aptX was superior.

To get the BEST results, you wanna use an app like Poweramp which allow FULL BYPASS of the Android/Snapdragon DAC so that ALL of the audio processing is passed onto the xDSD. I know other apps offer that too, but only a few others. For streaming though, not sure if Tidal etc offer it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back