iFi Audio Pro iESL - The Official Thread

Would you buy our iESL now if it were still available?

• Yes

Votes: 89 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters
Apr 17, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #811 of 817
Just in case someone else wants to try it, at their own risk of course and only if they are comfortable doing it... This is where I grabbed the positive and negative bias voltage from... white is the negative, and blue is the positive.
ifi pro iesl.jpg
Interesting project! The way the iESL maintains the bias voltage is rather novel and ingenious. I'm not sure you'll be able to improve upon it with a home brew board, but I suppose it'll be fun to try. Please keep us posted on your progress, and sonic impressions. What estats are you rocking, if I may ask?

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #812 of 817
I'm planning to use this talented gent's design once he finalizes it:

What he did is the inspiration for what I've done thus far; he even answered several questions to get me started.

It's a pretty innovative approach, although the DC to DC converter he uses is a little costly. He has several neat videos on building a Stax transformer setup.

Interesting project! The way the iESL maintains the bias voltage is rather novel and ingenious. I'm not sure you'll be able to improve upon it with a home brew board, but I suppose it'll be fun to try. Please keep us posted on your progress, and sonic impressions. What estats are you rocking, if I may ask?

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #813 of 817
Running several Stax headphones with it: L700mkII, SR 009 and X9000. The X9000 likes the extra headroom; this was my motivation for attempting the project to get over 2kV with no clipping. Note the high voltage warning sign: safety first :)

HV Warning.jpg

headphone setup2.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #814 of 817
@etc6849 In terms of sound quality, what do you think is the best: Power tube amplifier or Benchmark? And do u hear any hiss through iESL when using tube amps?

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #815 of 817
The BHSE is very low noise, as is the AHB2's connected to the transformers. They both sound identical to me, except the transformer setup I modded has more headroom and the AHB2 amps can also drive my bookshelf speakers too if I add a speaker selector or use the one built in the iFi Pro iESL. I doubt anyone could hear hiss from either setup. They are both fantastic in my mind.

A normal speaker amp used with high turns ratio transformers may give you a hiss, but I'm not sure. I only have the AHB2's as I sold all my other speaker amps off years ago, and I'm glad I did... They're still one of the lowest noise amps in existence even after being out for over 10 years.

@etc6849 In terms of sound quality, what do you think is the best: Power tube amplifier or Benchmark? And do u hear any hiss through iESL when using tube amps?

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #816 of 817
I'm planning to use this talented gent's design once he finalizes it:

What he did is the inspiration for what I've done thus far; he even answered several questions to get me started.

It's a pretty innovative approach, although the DC to DC converter he uses is a little costly. He has several neat videos on building a Stax transformer setup.

Thanks for sharing :) the design has evolved a fair bit since my original but its still in operation and been mostly flawless other than floating the output bias side. Its about to go through big changes with low noise regulators, proper protection stages for the bias etc. Though it has been very safe and not even popped one fuse yet.

Definitely correct an amplifier with a low noise floor is essential to a setup. The only amplifier that has delivered for me so far that is more vintage is the Sansui Alpha 907. The Topping LA90s were stunning also but clinical and you would need 2 of them monoblocs for enough head room.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #817 of 817
Absolutely amazing stuff being posted here, Although I openly admit it's way above my knowledge, nonetheless I appreciate the learning I am receiving from them!

Rock on brothers in audio!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back