iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Aug 4, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #3,227 of 3,458
iFI pro IDSD is not roon ready.
Yes, you can use Roon is you connect the Ifi Pro IDSD to the Roon core server by USB cable. But it cannot connect via ethernet.
Ok noted -thanks

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #3,228 of 3,458
How does it work as Roon endpoint.
As far as I know it not Roon ready
Works as Roon endpoint without issues. Does MQA hardware decoding with Tidal, Qobuz streaming, and streaming from my NAS all the way up to DSD all through the Roon desktop and phone app.

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #3,229 of 3,458
Ok noted -thanks
iFI pro IDSD is not roon ready.
Yes, you can use Roon is you connect the Ifi Pro IDSD to the Roon core server by USB cable. But it cannot connect via ethernet.

Can confirm it does connect with Ethernet. I used it for a few days as Roon endpoint without USB cable plugged in because I was having issues with driver install.

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #3,230 of 3,458
Can confirm it does connect with Ethernet. I used it for a few days as Roon endpoint without USB cable plugged in becauase I was having issues with driver install.
Did you use the roon bridge supplied by IFI?
This is just work around with limited functionality.
If you look at Roon site you can find out that IFI pro IDSD is not Roon ready nor Roon tested
Roon also can conect to IFI PRO via AirPlay. But this is not Roon ready device ...

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #3,231 of 3,458
Don't know what to tell you. All I had was a ethernet cable connected running Roon desktop client on my desktop PC with WiFi off. I have a Roon Core server and a NAS with subs to Tidal and Qobuz. All worked beautifully with no USB cable connected. In fact, I was only able to use the iDSD pro signature and iCAN pro signature with Roon desktop client because Tidal and Qobuz would not play on the iDSD through their own desktop apps since I didn't have a USB cable connected and I still haven't setup WiFi on the iFI units.

FWIW I'm running a Roon Core setup on a Intel Nuc 10 with a Synology NAS.

Aug 4, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #3,232 of 3,458
Not so shameless comment about the Pro iDSD. It's a fantastic unit, I just replaced my Chord TT2 and M Scaler with the Pro iDSD Signature and Pro iCAN Signature stack. Leaps and bounds better with any headphone I try. Being able to switch from SS to tube is a huge plus as well. Works as a Roon endpoint and MQA hardware unfolding is a bonus.
The ifi pro stack is hard to beat not only does it sound great and can power anything you could probably throw at it the amount of sound adjustments available is mind numbing.

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #3,233 of 3,458
Wanted to ask you folks. If you could name just one feature not present in Pro iDSD you'd like to see in its successor (IF it ever happens), what would it be?
How about instead of trying to add features, fix the features that are meant to be present in the product as advertised?

Say...for example, the ability to stream from network storage (i.e. a NAS) directly, including the capability of network streaming DSD files; with an app controlled by iFi, instead of some third party.

Sadly, it's obvious that the existing models of this product will never have this feature fixed, since it was never really designed into the product, but an afterthought, and can't be added/fixed due to limited ROM or processing power (@iFi audio correct me if I'm wrong)

With all due respect, this is just one man's opinion and use case. When I purchased the iFi Pro iDSD, the intention was to have it as a standalone unit at a quiet part of the house to enjoy music, away from the computer and noisy equipment, but everything seems like a "workaround" to get this working and not all formats for music files can be streamed

I thoroughly enjoyed iFi's lower tier products prior to getting the Pro iDSD, who would have thought going to a higher tier product would lead to disappointments

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #3,234 of 3,458
How about instead of trying to add features, fix the features that are meant to be present in the product as advertised?

Say...for example, the ability to stream from network storage (i.e. a NAS) directly, including the capability of network streaming DSD files; with an app controlled by iFi, instead of some third party.

Sadly, it's obvious that the existing models of this product will never have this feature fixed, since it was never really designed into the product, but an afterthought, and can't be added/fixed due to limited ROM or processing power (@iFi audio correct me if I'm wrong)

With all due respect, this is just one man's opinion and use case. When I purchased the iFi Pro iDSD, the intention was to have it as a standalone unit at a quiet part of the house to enjoy music, away from the computer and noisy equipment, but everything seems like a "workaround" to get this working and not all formats for music files can be streamed

I thoroughly enjoyed iFi's lower tier products prior to getting the Pro iDSD, who would have thought going to a higher tier product would lead to disappointments
I completely agree. the WA of IFI bridge to compensate for lack of Roon readiness is not working well.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #3,235 of 3,458

It's 3rd party but Roon can do everything you're asking for. I'm streaming directly from my NAS and streaming using my Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #3,236 of 3,458
I completely agree. the WA of IFI bridge to compensate for lack of Roon readiness is not working well.
Roon 100% works with the iFi iDSD Pro. I'm streaming using Roon as I'm typing this and I pulled my USB cable out on purpose. It's running straight off my ethernet cable with no WiFi connection as a Roon endpoint. Works flawlessly but mine is the latest Signature version so can't speak for earlier versions.... BUT from my understanding the only difference is the power supply.

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #3,237 of 3,458
BUT from my understanding the only difference is the power supply.

Power supply is a major change as are some internal parts, but the streaming module is the same, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 9, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #3,239 of 3,458
I think you're putting too much emphasis on "Roon Ready" and "Roon Tested" certifications. Plenty of examples online of devices that are not "certified" but work fine with Roon. Just because it's not certified as Roon Ready or Tested doesn't mean a device won't work with Roon. As I said, the iFi iDSD connected via ethernet is immediately recognized by my Roon desktop software as a Roon capable endpoint. Works flawlessly as far as I can see. Obviously iFi can officially chime in here with regards to official certifications but again, just because it's not Roon certified doesn't mean it doesn't work.... mine works with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back