iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Feb 8, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #1,606 of 3,456

We have our ways of doing things and at the same time we think that there's enough room on the market for every manufacturer with great products available. And yes, we sincerely believe that every individual able to wait for our Pro iDSD will be blown away...
wink_face.gif

I know you can't talk about internal details, but can you confirm if the headphone connections will be the same as your prototype?  Meaning it'll have a 3.5mm TRRS balanced output?

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #1,608 of 3,456
A-Will be symetric XLR output at back side volume controlled ? (To be possible connect it directly to power amp)

B-Is there analog asymetric RCA input for using PRO as headphone amp only ? (as is on iDSD Micro 3,5mm Jack)

C-Could You writte more about headphone amp sound signature ? I love You TPA6120 sound... Will be similar?

Thank You

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #1,609 of 3,456
  I know you can't talk about internal details, but can you confirm if the headphone connections will be the same as your prototype?  Meaning it'll have a 3.5mm TRRS balanced output?

Yes.

Quote:
  A-Will be symetric XLR output at back side volume controlled ? (To be possible connect it directly to power amp)

The line-out (XLR & RCA) can bet set to fixed or variable level mode. In the former, the volume control is completely bypassed, in the latter it is active. 

Two different reference signal levels will be available on the line outputs; 
"HiFi Standard" with 0dBFS levels of 2V unbalanced and 4V balanced, fixed or variable
"Pro Standard" with 0dBFS levels of +24dBU (~ 12V) balanced, fixed or variable

B-Is there analog asymetric RCA input for using PRO as headphone amp only ? (as is on iDSD Micro 3,5mm Jack)

No.

C-Could You writte more about headphone amp sound signature ? I love You TPA6120 sound... Will be similar?

We leave the talk about the sound signature and quality of our products to others, instead of hyping things ourselves. You can read the comments on the general sound signature of the Pro series (all share similar circuitry) in the iCAN Pro threads. 

The analogue stage (which IS the sole headphone output stage as well) is based on the same circuits and parts as the iCAN Pro, however with fewer output transistors, reduced class A current and reduced output levels in comparison to our iCAN Pro. 

As a headphone DAC/an amplifier, our iDSD Pro will sound very similar (yet with improved sound quality on the DAC side) as the iCAN Pro & iDAC 2 micro combination, however is less able to drive "extreme" headphones, be it extremely senstive iEM's or very hard to drive planars etc.

The headphone amplifier will have 3 levels of gain with 0dBFS output levels of 1V/0.5V; 4V/2V & 12V/6V (balanced/unbalanced).

As to the project state, we have essentially completed the electronic design, the major work and challenges are in the software area which is an order of magnitude or two more complex and demanding than any previous iFi product. It takes time.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 23, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #1,610 of 3,456

As a headphone DAC/an amplifier, our iDSD Pro will sound very similar (yet with improved sound quality on the DAC side) as the iCAN Pro & iDAC 2 micro combination, however is less able to drive "extreme" headphones, be it extremely senstive iEM's or very hard to drive planars etc.

The headphone amplifier will have 3 levels of gain with 0dBFS output levels of 1V/0.5V; 4V/2V & 12V/6V (balanced/unbalanced).

As to the project state, we have essentially completed the electronic design, the major work and challenges are in the software area which is an order of magnitude or two more complex and demanding than any previous iFi product. It takes time.

As someone with the iCAN Pro, it seems a little redundant that it also has an amp. While I would be curious to sample a trial MQS stream from Tidal, I realistically will not ever feel the need to upgrade my 10,000+ FLAC albums ripped from CDs and purchased on Bandcamp. So it's too bad a more basic iDAC Pro couldn't have come out first, as I do like the idea of getting one of those racks and the Energizer. BTW, one of the videos said Energizer was due to come out January.

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #1,611 of 3,456
Regardless of headphones amp or not, there will need to be an output stage, which if I understood correctly, is used as headphones amp section as well, maybe with small addition.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #1,612 of 3,456
I am very pleased it will offer both balanced DAC and HP output, true to it's niche as successor to the iDSD and Black Label. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #1,613 of 3,456
As someone with the iCAN Pro, it seems a little redundant that it also has an amp. While I would be curious to sample a trial MQS stream from Tidal, I realistically will not ever feel the need to upgrade my 10,000+ FLAC albums ripped from CDs and purchased on Bandcamp. So it's too bad a more basic iDAC Pro couldn't have come out first, as I do like the idea of getting one of those racks and the Energizer. BTW, one of the videos said Energizer was due to come out January.

Why do you think by software they mean MQA?

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #1,614 of 3,456
Do you really think this bells-and-whistles product would not support MQA among other things? 

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #1,615 of 3,456
We leave the talk about the sound signature and quality of our products to others, instead of hyping things ourselves. You can read the comments on the general sound signature of the Pro series (all share similar circuitry) in the iCAN Pro threads. 

The analogue stage (which IS the sole headphone output stage as well) is based on the same circuits and parts as the iCAN Pro, however with fewer output transistors, reduced class A current and reduced output levels in comparison to our iCAN Pro. 

Thank You for answers. Now I can imagine more about this product.

Is sad, that there isnt analog input too. With it will be easy applicable iDSD Pro as preamplifer to power amp.
(I have power amp with balanced inputs.)

What type of headphone amp sound similar to iCAN Pro do You mean? iCAN Pro can be Tube, FET ...

I have now iDSD Micro and I want upgrade to higher lever. I am using Sennheiser HD800 headphones.
I really dont know, what now...
-iDSD Micro BL
-iDSD BL+iCAN SE
-Or directly to iDSD Pro?

(Not iDSD Pro+iCAN Pro it is too much money)

I dont need portable rig.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #1,616 of 3,456
As it apparently will share the same analogue stage as icanPro, but less amplification power, it should sound like a much better idsdBL is my imagination

Thank You for answers. Now I can imagine more about this product.

Is sad, that there isnt analog input too. With it will be easy applicable iDSD Pro as preamplifer to power amp.
(I have power amp with balanced inputs.)

What type of headphone amp sound similar to iCAN Pro do You mean? iCAN Pro can be Tube, FET ...

I have now iDSD Micro and I want upgrade to higher lever. I am using Sennheiser HD800 headphones.
I really dont know, what now...
-iDSD Micro BL
-iDSD BL+iCAN SE
-Or directly to iDSD Pro?

(Not iDSD Pro+iCAN Pro it is too much money)

I dont need portable rig.

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #1,620 of 3,456

Users who are viewing this thread

Back