iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Nov 7, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #1,475 of 3,456
Here we are, aproaching 100 pages of thread responses and the third anniversary of this thread (started Jan 2014).  During those three years DAC technology has progressed tremendously overall.  I wonder whether iFi feels that the product they soon plan on actually making available to us will, at a higher pricepoint than originally contemplated, be as competitive in today's market as the product they originally contemplated might have been in 2014? Which has progressed faster, iFi's overall DAC-related R&D or the industry as a whole?  I also wonder how many of us who said "this will be my next DAC" when they first read this thread, are still waiting to purchase that "next DAC"?

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #1,476 of 3,456
  Here we are, aproaching 100 pages of thread responses and the third anniversary of this thread (started Jan 2014).  During those three years DAC technology has progressed tremendously overall.  I wonder whether iFi feels that the product they soon plan on actually making available to us will, at a higher pricepoint than originally contemplated, be as competitive in today's market as the product they originally contemplated might have been in 2014? Which has progressed faster, iFi's overall DAC-related R&D or the industry as a whole?  I also wonder how many of us who said "this will be my next DAC" when they first read this thread, are still waiting to purchase that "next DAC"?

I got an idsd micro in Nov 2014. It was great as a DAC in my main system. I am very impressed with the performance of this unit at its price point. As soon as I heard of the development of the Pro (which was called the mini at the time), I planned on buying it as my next upgrade. The micro would go on to portable use when the Pro appeared.
I have been following this thread since I bought the micro, hoping for this amazing upgrade that I was sure iFi would produce. Back in April 2016 after another delay, backtrack/redesign/??? hit the Pro, I had enough. I got a steal on a used W4S DAC2-DSDse for $1300. This was definitely an upgrade over the micro as a main DAC. I am glad I did because the Pro is still not out and I'm also wondering how good it will be with all the stiff competition out there. I will consider it when it comes out as I love iFi equipment.
Let me say this: The iFi micro idsd is a killer product. I am currently using it as a DAC in a portable setup with a Fiio X5's digital coax out. This setup is awesome. You did a great job with that product iFi.
I will certainly pay attention to reviews if this product ever actually emerges in the marketplace. The bar has definitely been raised since this thread was started.

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #1,477 of 3,456
In fairness to iFi, we don't really know how long competitors products have been on the design board as they usually don't get announced and we certainly don't get any input into their design.  I would also guess that a fair number of the ancillary products that iFi has announced over the last two years in particular have come about as a result of design work on the Pro iDSD and Pro iCan and it was easier to release products like the iDefender 3.0, the iSilencer3.0, the iUSD3.0, the iTube, the iPurifier, and the iPower, and generate revenue from them, even as their technologies eventually get incorporated into the iDSD Pro.  

The other thing that has changed over this three year period is the development and improvement of upsampling software players (like HQPlayer, Audirvana/iZotope and JRiver) which have certainly changed my perspective of what I want in a DAC (something that sounds great with a continuously improving and upgradeable software front end and ideally allws me to feed it my choice of DSD512 or DXD).  In that regard, iFi seems to still be well positioned. 

Nov 7, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #1,478 of 3,456
Was gonna get a Ipro, but at 2k, its just too expensive really. Unless it can handily smack down a Schiit Yggy, I dunno. Sure it has a headphone amplifier, but for people spending in that region, they usually pick and match components seperately. Now I have my sights on either a Schiit Gumby+amp like liquid carbon, or Holo Spring Dac Level 2. 

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #1,479 of 3,456

Yikes, I'm surprised I'm still following this after starting the thread that long ago.

I think saying DAC technology has progressed tremendously, even over the last 10 years, is a little hyberbolic. There's been improvements to USB stages and such and products offering generally better value due to competition.

The effect of the latter has been mostly the result of Schiit's very aggressive value for dollar offerings across the board, really pushing competition in the benefit of consumers. It's less that technology has improved, but creative engineering has found ways to implement existing technology in more cost effective ways, offering better value for money.

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #1,480 of 3,456
  I also wonder how many of us who said "this will be my next DAC" when they first read this thread, are still waiting to purchase that "next DAC"?

For those people with some business degree, does anyone know if there is some formal terminology for when a company announces a product way ahead of the actual release date, to give the consumers a false sense of commitment and hold off on buying other competitor products?

I find this very common in headphone/portable audio, such as with Chinese DAPs (e.g. iBasso DX200, Fiio T3 threads run long and far from being released).

We don't see this as much for bigger audio gear, nor other consumer electronics, such as smartphones and laptops where the product cycle is fairly predictable, or with bigger whiteware or TVs where people don't care as much for the newest and the best.

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #1,482 of 3,456
  Yes, the term is "vaporware" but I definately do not feel that is what iFi were doing here.  

Oh wow. I've heard that word before but never really knew what it means. Thanks.

I agree that iFi is not specifically doing that, and the already-available Pro iCAN does sound impressive.

It just feels like the market for DACs, amps and DAPs etc are so saturated right now, that it must be very hard for companies to differentiate their products and draw our attention long enough to care.

Personally I love my micro iDSD, and bought a micro iDAC2 for a fixed line level DAC, and I want to upgrade that to something a bit more substantial, but the Pro series maybe too expensive for my budget.

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #1,483 of 3,456
First Brexit with hypothetical new customs duties from UK to EU, now Trump with hypothetical new customs duties from UK to USA...
I think they will have to move the company's headquarters 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back