iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Aug 5, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,351 of 3,458
I've been looking at the Pro iCan for a while now as I slowly save up enough to get an amp to live with for a long time, but I am uneasy about its tendency to slide around on a desktop.
I'm wondering if iFi might make changes to the unit to ameliorate this? I work at a very large desk and I specifically want to use my HD800s with its balanced cable, which is long and quite heavy. Sat here with the cable draped off the side of the desk worries me if it's going to be attached to a small unit that moves.
I wouldn't know for certain as things stand now, but possibly buying one to find out would be a concern unless I managed to find a place that would permit a refund if it was a problem. 
It has been mentioned a few times in my reading about the Pro, so I wonder, do any of you think iFi might move to address it somehow?
I'm using balanced cables at the input and output sections of the amp. I have no issues. The amp does not slide around.

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,352 of 3,458

So how does the Pro iCan compare to the Auditor? I should be getting mine next week to replace my Phonitor Mini. Then swapping out my Micro iDSD for a Yggy (when the local distributor gets some stock that is)

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #1,353 of 3,458
So how does the Pro iCan compare to the Auditor? I should be getting mine next week to replace my Phonitor Mini. Then swapping out my Micro iDSD for a Yggy (when the local distributor gets some stock that is)

Hmmm...the iCAN Pro is really close to the Auditor as far as dynamic range; they are both very transparent and clean. If course the iCAN Pro can do much more, because it has the tubes, and is switchable. The Auditor barely edges the iCAN Pro in the soundstage department running balanced with the iCAN Pro, while the Auditor is single ended. That said, the iCAN Pro is no joke, and not one bit a gimmick. It really does what it says it does. Then again, so does the Auditor...and more!

Aug 5, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #1,354 of 3,458
Hmmm...the iCAN Pro is really close to the Auditor as far as dynamic range; they are both very transparent and clean. If course the iCAN Pro can do much more, because it has the tubes, and is switchable. The Auditor barely edges the iCAN Pro in the soundstage department running balanced with the iCAN Pro, while the Auditor is single ended. That said, the iCAN Pro is no joke, and not one bit a gimmick. It really does what it says it does. Then again, so does the Auditor...and more!

Thanks. Have you tried a better DAC than the iDSD with both? Wondering if the closeness is down to the DAC and a better class DAC would open up more of a difference. It does sound directly from ifi that the iDAC2 is a better desktop DAC than the iDSD as it has a better RCA out stage.

I like the Phonitor mini a lot. They should be more common than they are.

Aug 5, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #1,356 of 3,458

Thanks. Have you tried a better DAC than the iDSD with both? Wondering if the closeness is down to the DAC and a better class DAC would open up more of a difference. It does sound directly from ifi that the iDAC2 is a better desktop DAC than the iDSD as it has a better RCA out stage.

I like the Phonitor mini a lot. They should be more common than they are.

Yes indeed. Maybe the DAC is limiting the difference. I have a Phonitor amp which is essentially the same as the Auditor. It's a great audio instrument but not really great for music. While it has decent transparency, nice holographic soundstage, the sound is a tad hollow. I was expecting the iCan Pro to be much better than the Auditor.

Aug 11, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #1,358 of 3,458
  So going back to the Ifi idsd Pro DAC? When will this be released now? Any spec/photos? Will this DAC be at the UK National Audio Show in September?

Hi

RMAF, We only do the Bristol A/V Show and the Gadget Show in the UK.

As the Pro iCAN is out, the look will be the very similar.

Thanks.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 11, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #1,359 of 3,458
.............When will this be released now?...................

iFi, you forgot to answer that one. 
popcorn.gif

Aug 13, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #1,362 of 3,458
  Hi All.

Thank Crunchie it is Friday.

There are the latest specs, they are subject to change and we may throw in one or two surprises (cos we know you like surprises).

Have confirmed iwth the R&D people that this is what we can divulge.

iCAN Pro

Here you go:

Key features are:
...............................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................

Balanced Headphone Amplifier

PowerSource:
External DC 15V/4A
Inputs (Back):
1 x XLR True Balanced Stereo

3 x RCA Stereo
Output Front):
4-Pin XLR Headphone Balanced

Dual 3-Pin XLR Headphone Balanced

6.3mm Headphone x2, single ended or balanced

6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter included

3.5mm iEMatch attenuated x 2
Output (back):
XLR selectable Loop or HP Out

RCA selectable Loop or HP Out
Volume Control:
Motorised ALPS 6-Way potentiometer in unique extended range series/shunt operation

Analogue Processing:
X-Bass, +3dB at 80Hz, 160Hz, 320Hz 

3D Sound. 30/45/60 Degrees virtual Speaker angle
Gain:
0dB, 12dB and 24dB user-selectable
Signal to Noise Ratio:
>117dB(A)
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD):
<0.003%
Frequency Response:
0.5Hz to 500KHz(-3dB)
Output Power (16R cont):
> 6,000mW
Output Voltage (600R):
>20V (Balanced); > 10V (single ended)
Size:
220mm x 62mm X 190mm (W X H X D including feet and connectors)

I was wondering why the big difference between the SNR published above and the one on ifi-audio's website

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR, Balanced/Single-Ended):>147dB(A) / > 137dB(A)

I mean the difference between 117 and 137/147 is incredibly huge. I am not if I know another amplifier to have such specs at the moment. This is why I am asking. 

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #1,364 of 3,458
  I was wondering why the big difference between the SNR published above and the one on ifi-audio's website

Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR, Balanced/Single-Ended):>147dB(A) / > 137dB(A)

I mean the difference between 117 and 137/147 is incredibly huge. I am not if I know another amplifier to have such specs at the moment. This is why I am asking. 

I asked about the 140dB months ago too after seeing such a high number for the first (and only) time on a headphone amp. Other specs appear to be very different (or heavily revised) as well.

Site shows >14,000mW max balanced but posted specs show >6000mW?

Which is correct and the why the huge variance? Hope it wasn't to spur initial sales with over-hyped specs.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back