iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Sep 7, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #2,956 of 3,458
What a special treat, this evening we are being entertained by some live performance of a great jazz group in the USA called "Spyrogyra" from Buffalo New York, thats in upstate New York and no where near NYC!! LOL.

I have seen this band in person 5 times over the years and with the new balanced cable and the Pro DSD in TUBE mode, DSD 1024 and BP+ mode its a solid nice 10 experience.

Your going to be hard pressed to convince me that another amp would make this experience "alot" better.....maybe on the edges but this is really a stellar linestage "amp".

I have sold most of my tube amps, just too soft, warm etc and my hard edged headphones have left the stage here....lol

The Tube part of the pro DSD is pretty decent for a touch of that tube magic....

Totally enjoying this little "box"....

1631054641341.png
try it with up sampled DSD from HQ player that’s a whole different ball park again haha , i do enjoy it’s own 1024one for when i have to use the AES and can’t USB from Pi

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #2,957 of 3,458
try it with up sampled DSD from HQ player that’s a whole different ball park again haha , i do enjoy it’s own 1024one for when i have to use the AES and can’t USB from Pi
Thanks Ross...I am in audiophile heaven right now....I can get over how nice the tube section is with the dac and these cans...its sooooooo Sweet!
I have been out to native DSD site and listened to some great DSD stuff...from Denmark so Sweet as well...

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #2,958 of 3,458
Thanks Ross...I am in audiophile heaven right now....I can get over how nice the tube section is with the dac and these cans...its sooooooo Sweet!
I have been out to native DSD site and listened to some great DSD stuff...from Denmark so Sweet as well...
once it’s warranty is out you can tube swap but that’s a rabbit whole for a different day for yourself hahah

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #2,961 of 3,458
Hi folks. Need your suggestion :L3000: I'm choosing between Hugo 2 and ifi idsd pro for my next upgrade for the current ifi micro Black Label + HD800s. I'm looking for the used one, so the price ~1.8k. Want to use it for my next Utopias and LCD (or any others planar magnetic) headphones. By the way - I don't need portability as Hugo provided or a lot of features from ifi idsd pro like music streaming. Apart from that -I missed the bass, depth and dynamic with my current setup (I really enjoyed LCD-2, but soundstage of HD800S is sooooo way better!).

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #2,962 of 3,458
Hi folks. Need your suggestion :L3000: I'm choosing between Hugo 2 and ifi idsd pro for my next upgrade for the current ifi micro Black Label + HD800s. I'm looking for the used one, so the price ~1.8k. Want to use it for my next Utopias and LCD (or any others planar magnetic) headphones. By the way - I don't need portability as Hugo provided or a lot of features from ifi idsd pro like music streaming. Apart from that -I missed the bass, depth and dynamic with my current setup (I really enjoyed LCD-2, but soundstage of HD800S is sooooo way better!).
I owned the Hugo2 and still own the ifi iDSD Pro, so from that you can already see my preference at least for the Utopia. Whereas the H2 is super clean and transparent, the iDSD is just more fun and pleasant to listen to, at least this is what I found in comparison. The H2 USB input is also flimsy with its micro (?) USB plug.

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #2,963 of 3,458
Hi folks, I need your advice on using the ifi Pro iCan as a speaker amp. I cannot find much online and I hope you can help me out. I must admit I no zero about speakers, but I am planning to use the Pro iCan with bookshelf speakers (specs as below). Would this work? And would I connect via the balanced speaker 3pin XLR to the speaker's banana plug? Thanks for the help!!!

Here the specs:

90dB (2.83V/1m)
Power Handling25 - 200 Watts RMS
Crossover Frequencies450Hz, 3.5kHz
Impedance4 Ohms

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #2,964 of 3,458
I owned the Hugo2 and still own the ifi iDSD Pro, so from that you can already see my preference at least for the Utopia. Whereas the H2 is super clean and transparent, the iDSD is just more fun and pleasant to listen to, at least this is what I found in comparison. The H2 USB input is also flimsy with its micro (?) USB plug.
Thanks! So you vote more for ifi than hugo 2 in this case (if I need to keep only 1 DAC/AMP)? I'm also considering Naim Uniti Atom for a little bit more $, but it's 2019 (as hugo 2 and ifi also) and doesn't have balanced headphone output + I don't need to have all these features, just want to concentrate on the sound?

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #2,965 of 3,458
Hi folks, I need your advice on using the ifi Pro iCan as a speaker amp. I cannot find much online and I hope you can help me out. I must admit I no zero about speakers, but I am planning to use the Pro iCan with bookshelf speakers (specs as below). Would this work? And would I connect via the balanced speaker 3pin XLR to the speaker's banana plug? Thanks for the help!!!

Here the specs:

90dB (2.83V/1m)
Impedance4 Ohms
Hey,

you need active (seperate amp in each speaker) or even powered speakers (one amp a pair) for what you would like to do. :wink:

Cheers

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #2,966 of 3,458

Here the specs:

90dB (2.83V/1m)
Impedance4 Ohms
Ican is a headphone amplifier , it can also act as a preamplifier for 1) Active Speakers san they have RCA/ XLRs in 2) A preamp for a speaker amp , this is what i do myself with mine , again you’d be xlr / rca out from ican into xlr / rca of speaker amp then connect the passive speakers into Speaker taps

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #2,968 of 3,458
Hi folks, I need your advice on using the ifi Pro iCan as a speaker amp.

Pro iCAN is no speaker amp that would drive passive speakers. Active monitors however are a different thing :)

What kind of spekers would you like to use with it?

Better to take filters on to a beefy PC for when i want ultimate listening hehe

True, but FPGAs can do it really good too :)

Pro iDSD is loaded with features and that's one of the best things about it. If flexibility and lots of dials to work on are your things, it covers these needs rather well :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 9, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #2,969 of 3,458
Ican is a headphone amplifier , it can also act as a preamplifier for 1) Active Speakers san they have RCA/ XLRs in 2) A preamp for a speaker amp , this is what i do myself with mine , again you’d be xlr / rca out from ican into xlr / rca of speaker amp then connect the passive speakers into Speaker taps
@Hoegaardener70 One thing to remember, that is clearly stated at the end of iCan manual: the Pro iCAN should be used either as preamplifier or headphone amplifier, as generally a mixed use setup is not recommended. For me this is one of biggest drawbacks of otherwise great amp.

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #2,970 of 3,458
@Hoegaardener70 One thing to remember, that is clearly stated at the end of iCan manual: the Pro iCAN should be used either as preamplifier or headphone amplifier, as generally a mixed use setup is not recommended. For me this is one of biggest drawbacks of otherwise great amp.
That´s right about the manual note. But...do you listen to headphones while using speakers? :thinking:
So, it is still a hpa with preamp option for active/ powered speakers. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back