IFI audio micro idsd black label or something else?
Aug 18, 2018 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

moby1974

100+ Head-Fier
Hi
I am want to drive LCD2 headphones in a portable fashion (I know its not ideal)
I did read a few times people saying it best if the amp is at least 1w (not sure how true that is)
Portable amp wise I can only find the ifi audio micro idsd black label that seems to be able to give it that kind of power.
Is there other portable amps that can match it for power and sound but within the ifi price range or cheaper.

Thanks

Aug 18, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 3
I know it's not +1 w (0.8 I think), but I am using my old FIIO E12 with my FIIO X5iii DAP, with the volume on the DAP at 50-60 (out of 120), I use the amp set at 11:00 or so. Could be wrong here, but those figures seem to suggest that the combo is not struggling to drive the cans. I am using the DAP on high gain of course. I have other iFi stuff when listening at home, so I know what you are talking about (e.g. IDAC2 and ICAN), And yes these sound better than the portable set-up, no surprise there. The current FIIO amp is A5, and I haven't tested this one out because the E12 works fine for me. I realize though that the iDSD Micro is in a whole different class. What DAP do you have?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi
Cayin I5 Dap into Cayin C5 amp, sounds great and its loud enough but its bugged me about the 1w thing I have seen a few times.
I keep seeing that the LCD2s are not hard to drive but to get the most from them 1w+ into 70 ohm is best.
I know there is more to it DAC wise and all that, the ifi audio micro seems to tick many boxes but tbh there is a lot of stuff on it I will not use, so looking to see if there is other powerful alternatives that are portable.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back