iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Audio
Apr 22, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #586 of 745
Just curious littlexx26, how much difference does the iUSB3.0 make? I already have an iSilencer, iGalvanic, iPurifier3, that I use with my Micro iDSD BL. You think I'd get much more sound quality adding a USB3.0 to the chain? Or, would this be so subtle that the law of diminishing returns would set in. I mean perhaps a better USB cable would do more? What is your advice?
believe it or not. the biggest improvement is to replace the ipower with uptone lps-1.2 powering micro iusb3.0 which connecting to igalvanic which in turn connecting ipurifier3. the improvement by adding micro iusb3.0 to the chain is subtle, until you replace the ipower. lps-1.2 is a must

Apr 26, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #587 of 745
believe it or not. the biggest improvement is to replace the ipower with uptone lps-1.2 powering micro iusb3.0 which connecting to igalvanic which in turn connecting ipurifier3. the improvement by adding micro iusb3.0 to the chain is subtle, until you replace the ipower. lps-1.2 is a must

my experience is the reverse... with lps-1.2 powering the ifi chain, i get less dynamic, sound is thinner/weaker.. i took it out within 5 mins. Not sure if anything done wrong, it's a definite NO from what i hear.

my setup is different from yours. you may want to consider how i connect, from laptop out-> idefender ->(mercury 3) igalvanic -> (mercury 3) micro iusb3 -> one micro usb cable(portapow power only cable) connect to idefender to power it, another usb(mercury3) connecting to my dac

do note that from my experience, idefender is very important in the chain as it provides a clean power to igalvanic, and it has the most uplifting effect.

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #588 of 745
my experience is the reverse... with lps-1.2 powering the ifi chain, i get less dynamic, sound is thinner/weaker.. i took it out within 5 mins. Not sure if anything done wrong, it's a definite NO from what i hear.

my setup is different from yours. you may want to consider how i connect, from laptop out-> idefender ->(mercury 3) igalvanic -> (mercury 3) micro iusb3 -> one micro usb cable(portapow power only cable) connect to idefender to power it, another usb(mercury3) connecting to my dac

do note that from my experience, idefender is very important in the chain as it provides a clean power to igalvanic, and it has the most uplifting effect.
YEs, from my experience Idefender seems a must to use with igalvanic, with or without separate power supply to idefender. I presume u are powering the ifi chain via connecting to the idefender ?

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #589 of 745
YEs, from my experience Idefender seems a must to use with igalvanic, with or without separate power supply to idefender. I presume u are powering the ifi chain via connecting to the idefender ?

yup. i'm using the usb power out from micro iusb3 to power the idefender.. prefer it over using a separate 5v ipower....

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #590 of 745
yup. i'm using the usb power out from micro iusb3 to power the idefender.. prefer it over using a separate 5v ipower....
Interesting. Never thought to use iUSB power port to power idefender.

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #591 of 745
I wish someone could help me with this. This is my current setup:
Lenovo Ideapad Y700-15ISK (Foobar2000) --> iFi Mercury3.0 --> iFi iPurifier2 --> iFi Micro iDSD Black Label

I have ordered a Gemini3.0 + iGalvanic3.0 so my setup will look like:
Lenovo Y700 --> Gemini3.0 --> iGalvanic3.0 --> Mercury3.0 --> iPurifier2 --> iFi Micro iDSD BL

Now the questions:
1. Any suggestions on how to maximize the audio quality WITHOUT external power?
2. What about that iPurifier2? What if I replace Mercury + iPurifier with Micro iDSD BL's stock blue cable?
3. Does adding Gemini3.0 improve anything? Compared to Laptop --> Mercury --> iGalvanic --> stock cable --> Micro iDSD?

Sep 22, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #592 of 745
I wish someone could help me with this. This is my current setup:
Lenovo Ideapad Y700-15ISK (Foobar2000) --> iFi Mercury3.0 --> iFi iPurifier2 --> iFi Micro iDSD Black Label

I have ordered a Gemini3.0 + iGalvanic3.0 so my setup will look like:
Lenovo Y700 --> Gemini3.0 --> iGalvanic3.0 --> Mercury3.0 --> iPurifier2 --> iFi Micro iDSD BL

Now the questions:
1. Any suggestions on how to maximize the audio quality WITHOUT external power?
You can try replacing the iPurifier2 with an adaptor.

2. What about that iPurifier2? What if I replace Mercury + iPurifier with Micro iDSD BL's stock blue cable?
That's likely to sound slightly worse.

3. Does adding Gemini3.0 improve anything? Compared to Laptop --> Mercury --> iGalvanic --> stock cable --> Micro iDSD?
That's what I was wondering. Unless you are adding another power supply, what is the purpose of the Gemini here? You could have used another Mercury 3.0. Given that you have Mercury 3.0 coming out of the iGalvanic, you can eliminate the iPurifier2 by using a good quality adaptor instead.

The Gemini is designed to allow separate power supply and data lines. If it will be plugged into two USB ports on the same laptop, this won't make a large difference but it might still make some. Thing is the iGalvanic 3.0 will clean everything up anyway.

Sep 22, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #593 of 745
And what if I use external power?
What do you think of the chain below?
Laptop --> iDefender (powered by iPower) --> Mercury --> iGalvanic --> Mercury --> micro iUSB (powered by iPower and connected to HDD) --> Gemini --> iPurifier3 --> Micro iDSD BL

I could even power iDefender from iUSB like what PPkiller has done.

I included iPurifier3 because I don't know any high-quality adapters.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #595 of 745
Thuanb, that is exactly what I have and it's fantastic!

Sep 22, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #596 of 745
And what if I use external power?
What do you think of the chain below?
Laptop --> iDefender (powered by iPower) --> Mercury --> iGalvanic --> Mercury --> micro iUSB (powered by iPower and connected to HDD) --> Gemini --> iPurifier3 --> Micro iDSD BL

I could even power iDefender from iUSB like what PPkiller has done.

I included iPurifier3 because I don't know any high-quality adapters.
It's overkill and I believe iFi has said as much but I'm sure they'll make some comment here tomorrow.

I have several audio chains here with a multitude of iFi devices but the one of most interest is the one I'm sitting listening to right now:

PC -> Gemini + iPower5V -> iGalvanic3.0 -> Kimber USB -> iDAC2 -> iCAN

In this chain, I'm using the Gemini and iPower5V because I have them so why not. They don't add anything. If I had a Mercury then the chain would be:

PC -> Kimber USB -> iGalvanic3.0 -> Mercury -> iDAC2 -> iCAN

Provided you have a good cable coming out of iGalvanic3.0, then no iPurifier2/3 is needed. The type A socket on the iDSD complicates this somewhat. It is a pity that iFi have not made type A versions of Mercury and Gemini to fit iDSD.

USB A/B adapters do seem to be a bit thin on the ground. All the action seems to be on USB C now. All I can suggest is to try the one that came with the BL and see if you can actually hear a difference.

Sep 22, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #597 of 745
It's overkill and I believe iFi has said as much but I'm sure they'll make some comment here tomorrow.

I have several audio chains here with a multitude of iFi devices but the one of most interest is the one I'm sitting listening to right now:

PC -> Gemini + iPower5V -> iGalvanic3.0 -> Kimber USB -> iDAC2 -> iCAN

In this chain, I'm using the Gemini and iPower5V because I have them so why not. They don't add anything. If I had a Mercury then the chain would be:

PC -> Kimber USB -> iGalvanic3.0 -> Mercury -> iDAC2 -> iCAN

Provided you have a good cable coming out of iGalvanic3.0, then no iPurifier2/3 is needed. The type A socket on the iDSD complicates this somewhat. It is a pity that iFi have not made type A versions of Mercury and Gemini to fit iDSD.

USB A/B adapters do seem to be a bit thin on the ground. All the action seems to be on USB C now. All I can suggest is to try the one that came with the BL and see if you can actually hear a difference.
So no iUSB nor iDefender is needed.
It seems I need to exchange the Gemini with another Mercury but this time with USB B version 2.0 output because the adapter that comes with BL is not USB 3.0!

Sep 22, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #598 of 745
So no iUSB nor iDefender is needed.
It seems I need to exchange the Gemini with another Mercury but this time with USB B version 2.0 output because the adapter that comes with BL is not USB 3.0!
When you write iUSB (which doesn't exist), do you mean iUSBPower or do you mean iUSB3.0? They are very different things.

The iUSBPower is just a power supply. It cuts the 5V from the PC and replaces it with a clean version.

The iUSB3.0 does that too but also does all the reclocking, regenerating, etc. that iGalvanic3.0 and iPurifier2/3 do.
There are two versions of iUSB3.0: nano and micro, the latter adding twin outputs for two DACs.

The ultimate chain recommended by iFi is if I recall:

PC -> USB cable -> iGalvanic3.0 -> USB cable -> iUSB3.0 -> Gemini3.0 -> DAC

I did look to find the A female to B female adapter I bought 3 years ago but it is no longer available at Amazon and I can't find any alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back