iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Audio
Aug 30, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #211 of 745
I've had the iGalvanic3.0 for a week now. It really takes the iDAC2 to a higher level. While I'm a big fan of upsampling (primarily with HQPlayer), the iGalvanic3.0 makes CD resolution files sound really, really good through the iDAC2. I highly recommend this product.
How does your chain (PC -> ...... -> iDAC2) look like? anything other than iGalvanic3.0 there? (such as iPower / iDefender)
BTW, the iDAC2 is USB powered - right? My DAC is battery powered, so I am trying to decide how much of an improvement I would get from the iGalvanic3.0 since power (in my setup) will not come from USB bus.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #212 of 745
How does your chain (PC -> ...... -> iDAC2) look like? anything other than iGalvanic3.0 there? (such as iPower / iDefender)
BTW, the iDAC2 is USB powered - right? My DAC is battery powered, so I am trying to decide how much of an improvement I would get from the iGalvanic3.0 since power (in my setup) will not come from USB bus.

My chain is Mac Pro -> USB3 cable -> iGalvanic3.0 -> USB3 cable -> iDAC2 -> Lake People G109-A -> Audio Technica ATH R70x. The iGalvanic3.0 replaced an iPurifier v1 that I had in front of the iDAC2 (never really heard a difference with the iPurifier). Yes, the iDAC2 has no battery, which is why it's the best choice for a desktop iFi DAC IMHO.

I've used a Schiit Wyrd and an Uptone Regen in the past but the iGalvanic3.0 makes a much more noticeable difference to me. I've successfully resisted the temptation to purchase expensive "audiophile" USB cables over these last few years. Saving that money for things like the iGalvanic3.0 was very wise in hindsight. :)

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #213 of 745
My chain is Mac Pro -> USB3 cable -> iGalvanic3.0 -> USB3 cable -> iDAC2 -> Lake People G109-A -> Audio Technica ATH R70x. The iGalvanic3.0 replaced an iPurifier v1 that I had in front of the iDAC2 (never really heard a difference with the iPurifier). Yes, the iDAC2 has no battery, which is why it's the best choice for a desktop iFi DAC IMHO.

Thanks for the setup details, and confirming the iDAC2 is USB bus powered.

My setup:
Desktop PC -> Woo Audio WA8 (DAC & Amp) -> Headphones

Unlike your setup - my DAC is battery powered, which means it is NOT prone to crappy USB power.
So... My concern is the iGalvanic3.0 would not make any noticeable improvement, and that would be a very expensive paperweight... :angry:

Aug 30, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #214 of 745
I disagree. The iG3.0 has been with me for over 1 week, my DAC isn't USB powered, yet I heard very pleasing improvements in SQ.

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #216 of 745
I disagree. The iG3.0 has been with me for over 1 week, my DAC isn't USB powered, yet I heard very pleasing improvements in SQ.

OK - very useful data point! Thanks.

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #217 of 745
iG3.0 does make a improvement to the sound, but since i have nothing else to compare this against, i can't comment much on how much improvement is this over the rest.

I am facing some issue at powerup to get the dac(usb powered) to be detected, it actually hanged the dac at powerup. it could be the idefender, it could be the grounding at iG3.0. I will need to experiement a couple of times more to pinpoint if it's due to the grounding or the idefender. will post back after i conclude my findings.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #218 of 745
i prefer the sound with idefender providing power to iG3.0, powering my DAC(audient id14).

looks like i shouldn't be powering the idefender first before turning on my pc... will update more about it another time.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #219 of 745
iG3.0 does make a improvement to the sound, but since i have nothing else to compare this against, i can't comment much on how much improvement is this over the rest.

I am facing some issue at powerup to get the dac(usb powered) to be detected, it actually hanged the dac at powerup. it could be the idefender, it could be the grounding at iG3.0. I will need to experiement a couple of times more to pinpoint if it's due to the grounding or the idefender. will post back after i conclude my findings.

For USB bus powered DAC (like yours) - I am not surprised by the improvement in SQ.
My DAC is NOT bus powered (Woo Audio WA8), and so far I got only 1 response from someone using the WA8 with an iFi product (micro-USB3.0). According to him the SQ was improved.
Tough choices... $368 is no small change (and especially after shelling for the WA8......). I wish more WA8 owners provided some personal experience with iGalvanic or the older iUSB.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #220 of 745
For USB bus powered DAC (like yours) - I am not surprised by the improvement in SQ.
My DAC is NOT bus powered (Woo Audio WA8), and so far I got only 1 response from someone using the WA8 with an iFi product (micro-USB3.0). According to him the SQ was improved.
Tough choices... $368 is no small change (and especially after shelling for the WA8......). I wish more WA8 owners provided some personal experience with iGalvanic or the older iUSB.
If you don't have any noticeable hum issues then the iPurifier2 may be a better choice for you as it costs less, cleans up the USB signal and still stops power line noise entering your WA8 (which isn't as immune as you believe).

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #221 of 745
If you don't have any noticeable hum issues then the iPurifier2 may be a better choice for you as it costs less, cleans up the USB signal and still stops power line noise entering your WA8 (which isn't as immune as you believe).

Thanks for the suggestion!
I have (so far) only used my WA8 out of a laptop, and had no hum issues. I guess it's time to test it with my desktop as well, and if no hum - maybe the iPurifier2 is a better solution for me.

Aug 31, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #222 of 745
Folks, we have some news to share with you

We recently released 1000 iGalvanic3.0 units into the wild via our dealers and Amazon.com.

Could it be you- (1).png

If you have purchased a unit with serial numbers ending in 111, 222, 333, 444, 555, 666, 777, 888 or 999, drop us a line via FB and we will enter you in a prize draw
for an exclusive iFi audio prize!

We know some of them have been purchased but not all! Stay tuned!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 31, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #223 of 745

Is the serial # printed (or a label) on the box? If so - those units would end up with dealers' "friends and family"... :wink:

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #224 of 745
Folks, we have some news to share with you

We recently released 1000 iGalvanic3.0 units into the wild via our dealers and Amazon.com.

If you have purchased a unit with serial numbers ending in 111, 222, 333, 444, 555, 666, 777, 888 or 999, drop us a line via FB and we will enter you in a prize draw
for an exclusive iFi audio prize!

IFI,

As a owner of the micro - iUSB3.0 idecided to take advantage of the deal you have on amazon for the iGalcanic3.0.

Because i am in Canada i cannot order from amazon u.s. So i contacted a dealer in Canada(Planet of sound) and asked about the
iGalvanic and was told the following

"I have been in touch with my distributor about the new iFi Nano iGalvanic 3.0 and while they do not have stock currently, they do expect to be receiving stock sometime within the next few months."

Say What? A few months..... So i am unable of take advantage of the deal you are offering. Does this mean I'm SOL...

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #225 of 745
Hi, I think you may be focusing too much on the 5v power conditioning of the iGalvanic 3.0.. I am not an EE, but it seems to me the iGalvanic 3.0 device (and similar like Intona and Uptone IsoRegen) isolate also the data lines and also reclock the data and otherwise prepare the data for easier/cleaner processing by your dac. Since this is relatively new technology for USB 2 and 3, it will be difficult to get a black or white answer. But you can perhaps get more data points from the other devices I mentioned, and also buy the device with some type of trial period in case it does not meet your expectations. I have found every iFi device I purchased (maybe 10 pcs.) to generally perform (subjectively) as described.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back