iFi audio iDSD Diablo-X - eXperience innovation!
Jun 27, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #31 of 81
I'm confused on the purpose of having the 4.4mm outputs on opposite sides, disapointed to see no USBC input.
at $1100, this is an easy pass.

The rear 4.4mm is a line out and, potentially (to be confirmed), a line in as it was on the original Diablo if no digital signal was present.

Ifi are pretty invested in the male USB-A input which is absolutely fine once you have a cable which are not hard to get nor expensive. Sure USB-C would be nice but I don't miss it on my current Diablo and it would certainly not put me off buying an X if I had a use for one. At the end of the day it is a cable and a plug, who cares so long as it isn't Micro USB !

Jun 27, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #32 of 81
The rear 4.4mm is a line out and, potentially (to be confirmed), a line in as it was on the original Diablo if no digital signal was present.

Ifi are pretty invested in the male USB-A input which is absolutely fine once you have a cable which are not hard to get nor expensive. Sure USB-C would be nice but I don't miss it on my current Diablo and it would certainly not put me off buying an X if I had a use for one. At the end of the day it is a cable and a plug, who cares so long as it isn't Micro USB !
Seeing that it's meant as a portable device and not a desktop unit, having to bring along a specific cable just to use the diabalo really urks me the wrong way when USB C input would have been super convenient and feasible.

Jun 27, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #33 of 81
I also don’t understand iFi’s whole inset male USB-A deal in 2023.

It made sense before USB-C because female USB-A ports meant a large termination hanging off the back of the unit, and Micro-USB was just objectively awful, so the inset male USB-A port was an elegant and rock solid solution.

But now they should just do USB-C. More stable and cables can be found basically anywhere- even airport bodegas. Not to mention it would save considerable internal space.

Dunno how they could be “invested” in inset male USB-A. It’s not like Lightning or some proprietary standard, after all. They can just decide to switch and make the lives of their users and engineers easier.

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #34 of 81
I haven't been following the XMEMS news so forgive my ignorance, but when can we expect to see lower priced commercial earphones using XMEMS drivers in the market (say around the $500 mark)?

I understand that the Singularity Audio Oni IEMs is using this tech but...... It's beyond affordable for most people.
I would say we are going to reach this point as soon as chifi companies figure out how to make xMEMS drivers themselves. There is def potential for an inexpensive xmems in the next 1-5 years.

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #35 of 81
Are there any other companies making xMEMS-compatible amplifiers? With pricing like that, and (assuming) limited access for manufacturers, it's going to end quicker than MQA.

Jun 27, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #36 of 81
Are there any other companies making xMEMS-compatible amplifiers? With pricing like that, and (assuming) limited access for manufacturers, it's going to end quicker than MQA.
Soranik's MEMS is bundled with a amplifier/energizer.

Jun 27, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #37 of 81
Soranik's MEMS is bundled with a amplifier/energizer.
The Singularity Oni also comes with a compatible amp.

The technology should not be complicated nor expensive to implement. It's not new amp technology, it just needs around 10 volts of bias. Similar to phantom power on a microphone.

I've also heard through the grape vine that some other manufacturers are currently working on xmems amps.

Jun 27, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #39 of 81
How is a USB-C “more stable” than the male USB-A as currently used. It is literally hanging out the back while the current set up at least has some degree of physical locking in place.

By “invested” I only meant that they seem to like it, nothing more.

Being concerned about remembering to take your cable when you travel and being able to get one from the airport if needed so you can still use your $1,100 DAC/Amp to power your $1,800 xMEMS IEM when you go on a holiday or business trip is the definition of a first world problem !

Stable as in signal stability, not physical durability. USB-C (or USB 3 and up) is a more stable standard than USB-A (USB 2), particularly with large amounts of information. Honestly more of a video thing, but high-res music ostensibly counts.

Certainly nothing is more physically rock-solid than a female USB-A into an inset male USB-A, particularly if it's a tighter fit. Okay, that sounds... wrong, lol. That said, the type C connection is perhaps the most durable connection yet for a widespread USB standard. And again, certainly easier to find.

I agree it's a first-world problem. So are leaky kitchen faucets and mattresses that aren't supportive enough and light bulbs that don't last long enough, and a restaurant being out of the dish you want. Hell, the entirety of audiophillia itself is a first-world invention, and therefore any issues with equipment inherently a first-world problem.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #42 of 81
Does anyone know iems with MEMS drivers available now? Brand, model... , please!?
Singularity and Soranik. The links are available in the first page.

Jun 30, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #43 of 81

eXperience innovation

The Diablo-X is the first DAC/amp on the market to support the revolutionary xMEMS‘ solid state monolithic speaker technology.

This unique technology features:
  • Ultra-fast mechanical response (~15µsec; 150x faster than a typical dynamic driver)
  • Flat 2° phase response for more accurate sound reproduction
  • +/- 1° phase matching (part-to-part) for more accurate spatial sound
  • Silicon speaker diaphragm (95x more stiff/rigid than plastic) for reduce speaker break-up (less muddy mids/highs)
Brian Lucey, 8-time Grammy Winning Mastery Engineer, calls it “truly disruptive’ with “phase performance unlike no other speaker technology”. Discover why in 3 minutes.

1.jpg

This level of performance requires a higher voltage solution to drive it, so iFi have partnered with XMEMs to produce the Diablo-X – a first to drive a first!

xMEMS eXplained

The xMEMS microspeaker technology uses the piezoelectonic effect to create a paper-thin solid-state speaker. These micro-speakers offer great potential to push the boundaries of IEM and headphone performance.

xMEMS_Technology_anim-05.gif
Diagram taken from xmems.com

As xMEMS themselves say, “The inverse piezoelectric effect is created by applying electrical voltage to make the piezoMEMS contract or expand, converting electrical energy to mechanical energy. This energy excites an integrated silicon membrane to move air and generate acoustic sound waves…. xMEMS’ piezoMEMs actuators offer an increased range of movement enabling rich, loud audio”.

Still devilishly delightful…​

The Diablo-X can still also be used with your favourite IEMs/headphones and, just like the original, uses two Burr-Brown DAC chips and the 16-core XMOS chip to process the data received via the USB and S/PDIF digital inputs. This means the Diablo-X can handle up to PCM 768, DSD 512, 2xDXD. Both PCM and DSD remain ‘bit-perfect’. It provides full MQA decoding.

Balanced, differential analogue circuit design reduces noise and cross-talk within the signal path by fully separating the left and right channels. The Diablo-X includes our PureWave tech – refinements to our balanced, symmetrical dual-mono topologies with short, direct signal paths.

2.jpg

Negative feedback is used in amplifier circuits to compare the output signal with the input signal and correct errors. BUT there are drawbacks. iFi turns the negatives into positives with OptimaLoop.

…and diabolically driven.​

Able to drive all manner of headphones with ease, including those incorporating the new XMEMs tech, the Diablo-X sports fully balanced 4.4mm outputs with 4,100mW of power.

Three modes are used to adjust power and gain.
  • xMEMS – use with compatible IEMs/headphones
  • Turbo – ramps up the level of drive for current-hungry headphones
  • Normal – for most over or on ear headphones

Perfect pairings

While we were working on the Diablo-X, two companies were pushing the boundaries to deliver XMEMs compatible earphones.

Singularity have created the ONI. This sleek, minimalist looking IEM contains two xMEMS drivers to deliver superior sound.

And Soranik are firing things up by combining both xMEMS and USOUND technologies in their new MEMS-2! Available within 21 days.

Unadulterated performance

The Diablo-X focuses on pure, unadulterated performance, means much attention has been applied to the power supply circuity.

Battery power provides ultra-clean and stable DC current avoiding the issues of mains electricity – dips, spikes and noise-inducing RFI/EMI pollution. BUT there are sonic downsides resulting from low output voltage and inconsistent output impedance as batteries discharge.

3.jpg

In order to make less efficient headphones, like planar magnetics, sing, the voltage needs to be stepped up from 3.7V to +/- 15V. We use a step-up converter running at 1.2MHz – a frequency far beyond audibility that is easier to filter than a typical switch-mode supply, enabling high linearity and ultra-low noise.

The devil is in the detail

Whether you are using your favourite IEMs/headphones or a pair of xMEMS compatible IEMs, the Diablo-X connections have you covered.

At the front of the unit, alongside a standard 6.3mm single-ended headphone socket, resides a 4.4mm Balanced output for headphones offering balanced connection.

4.jpg

At the back are two digital audio inputs: USB-A and a S/PDIF socket that accepts both electrical and optical signals, the former via a 3.5mm connector and the latter via a supplied adapter.

The USB-A input features a ‘male’ connector, rather than a typical ‘female’ port for greater mechanical integrity. A separate USB-C charging port is also provided, along with a 4.4mm Balanced output to connect to an external amp.
I apologize, but I'm a little bit confused. Is xMEMs a type of on-device speaker, or is it an internal hardware system that enhances the playback of IEMs and Headphones?

Jul 1, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #45 of 81
I apologize, but I'm a little bit confused. Is xMEMs a type of on-device speaker, or is it an internal hardware system that enhances the playback of IEMs and Headphones?
It's a driver type. Like dynamic drivers, balanced armature, EST, etc.

But unlike those driver standards, MEMS requires a specialized power source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back