iFi audio GO pod + IEMs = brilliant wireless sound on the GO!
Sep 30, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #1,292 of 2,122
I've had the pods for a day, Here's a quick comparison with Shure TW2, for those who are interested.

TW2 strengths:
Usability - Assignable gestures, for each earpiece separately (means more functions). Tactile controls, lesser chance of accidental changes. Somewhat more comfortable. Less bulky and flashy.
Charging box - more utilitarian and more convenient/safe to transport, still not pocketable IMO.
Ambient mode - serious omission in Go Pods, a must-have addition in future updates.
EQ - not a necessity for me, but some might consider it a plus.
SW - quite exemplary, wide choice of controls: ambient mode behavior, gestures, EQ, built-in player, OTA firmware updates(!). Not overly complicated or cluttered either. IEM profiles limited to Shure models only, which kind of makes sense.

Go Pod strengths:
SQ - Let's get this out first, Yes absolutely. More of everything - power, resolution, layering, extensive support for BT audio codecs. Sound is "meaty", quite typical of CS chips based designs, either you like it or you don't, it works well with many IEMs.
Charging box - Leds inside is a nice thoughtful touch. Could have been made a bit less bulky yet I feel that internal dimensions give about the right amount of flexibility with various IEMs. Cleaning that velvety interior is going to be a PITA, I suspect.
DAC filter options - not a must-have yet I appreciate it.
Connectors - TW2 is MMCX only, yes you can use MMCX-2pin adapters yet its not quite the same. Fit is user-dependent obviously so having wider choice of options could be helpful for some.

Things I'd like to see added or improved in future FW/SW updates:
1. Ambient mode.
2. Assignable gestures. For example why have triple tap on both pieces for skipping back if you could just have it as double tap on the left. Or one tap on the left for voice assistant/ambient mode switch/etc.
3. OTA FW updates.
4. User selectable override for gain level. 16ohm and 16ohm are not created equal.
5. Option to power-off manually without waiting for a timeout or reaching for the box.

Other observations:
For me they look their price. Please beware that BT connection stability and quality is also source-dependent - With my old Huawei P30 Pro LDAC 990 stutters regardless of placement (660 is okeyish), yet with my Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 based Samsung device LDAC 990/96/32 is rock solid. LHDC support seems only to work for the newer kind (Spec v3.0), HWA is not supported.
I do not regret the purchase. There are some quite significant shortcomings, yet I have hope that IFI Audio will prioritize the work on FW/SW updates. It is their first of a kind product, with the right approach a lot of bad rap around it can be remedied and future models could have more mature platform right out-of-box.

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #1,293 of 2,122
Hey all,

I'm wondering if I'm not totally satisfied with my go pods because of the iems I'm using. All are pretty hungry. Any recs on a pair that are a h8t easier to drive? I was thinking the thieaudio v16, but maybe blessing 3?

Sep 30, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #1,294 of 2,122
Hey all,

I'm wondering if I'm not totally satisfied with my go pods because of the iems I'm using. All are pretty hungry. Any recs on a pair that are a h8t easier to drive? I was thinking the thieaudio v16, but maybe blessing 3?
What specifically are you not happy about? According to specs they’re quite sensitive but low impedance may cause go pod to switch to the lowest gain possible.

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #1,295 of 2,122
I received my Go Pod yesterday.
It exceeded my expectations in terms of sound quality.
But there's one unexpected issue, – phone calls.
Nobody hears my voice, just hissing.
I have no clue what's wrong.

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,296 of 2,122
What specifically are you not happy about? According to specs they’re quite sensitive but low impedance may cause go pod to switch to the lowest gain possible.
Ultimately, fit is an issue and SQ doesn't seem terribly different than my Sony tws. Slightly better, but not enough, and without the app available from ifi, it's hard to tell what needs adjustment

Sep 30, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #1,298 of 2,122
SQ is not very quantifiable unfortunately. Is it much different when you attach v16-s to another (wired) source?
Sure. My m6u has a larger stage and greater clarity and detail. At $900, that is to be expected. Obviously, with different iems, it will sound different. My guess is something with lower Impedance and more bass will meet my needs better.

Sep 30, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #1,299 of 2,122
Sure. My m6u has a larger stage and greater clarity and detail. At $900, that is to be expected. Obviously, with different iems, it will sound different. My guess is something with lower Impedance and more bass will meet my needs better.
You could check out the IEMs that were originally bundled with the Go Pods during Go Pods initial launch. I bought mine as a bundle with the 64 Audio U4s. My understanding is that the makers if these IEMs partnered with iFi and carefully selected from their IEM lines what they thought would pair well with the Go Pod.

Sep 30, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #1,300 of 2,122
What BT codec is in use, just for a reference? My primary iem for on-the-go is InEar ProPhile-8, kind of a similar 8BA design, very easy to drive and go pod has no trouble feeding them.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #1,301 of 2,122
Hi All,

I've spent two days with my Go Pod, and I'm still struggling to make it work properly during phone calls.

I'm primary using Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra, but I've also tried connecting the GO Pod to my corporate Redmi phone.

I've tried GSM calls and via WhatsApp with similar results, – I clearly hear myself (so I assume that microphone system is Ok), but at the other end they hear nothing but silence.

Has anyone experienced such issues?
Your suggestion would probably help.

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #1,302 of 2,122
Hi All,

I've spent two days with my Go Pod, and I'm still struggling to make it work properly during phone calls.

I'm primary using Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra, but I've also tried connecting the GO Pod to my corporate Redmi phone.

I've tried GSM calls and via WhatsApp with similar results, – I clearly hear myself (so I assume that microphone system is Ok), but at the other end they hear nothing but silence.
How did you conclude that you “clearly hear yourself”?

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #1,303 of 2,122
Hi All,

Has anyone experienced such issues?
Your suggestion would probably help.
I am using the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and I have had no issues with phone calls via WhatsApp or regular calls in the UK. I do not face any other issue, either. Stelar performance! Have you contacted iFi Audio customer service? It would be better if you'd open a ticket.

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #1,304 of 2,122
It's like an echo. Once the connection is established, I'm saying something and after half a second hearing it from the IEMs attached to my Go Pod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back