iFi audio GO pod + IEMs = brilliant wireless sound on the GO!
May 29, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #286 of 2,173
I don't expect it to be small like a pair of TWS integrated buds, but I am wagering they could have trimmed this one down a bit more, maybe 10-20%. But it does feel cheap. I doubt it could take more than one maybe two drops ever before the hinge breaks.
Maybe, maybe not on the size of the case

With my customs attached there is no room on the right side and maybe 1mm on the left. That might make it difficult to trim the size down if you are allowing for all varieties if earphones to be used. Again down to preference really, case us a good size for my earphones and fits in my cycling and work bags with no issue, would also fit in my coat pocket.

We'll have to agree to disagree😊

May 29, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #287 of 2,173
Maybe, maybe not on the size of the case

With my customs attached there is no room on the right side and maybe 1mm on the left. That might make it difficult to trim the size down if you are allowing for all varieties if earphones to be used. Again down to preference really, case us a good size for my earphones and fits in my cycling and work bags with no issue, would also fit in my coat pocket.

We'll have to agree to disagree😊
The shape of the case is subjective. I happen to own a lot of bags, multiple slings, messengers, cycling bags and backpacks, so a more symmetrical smoother design would just be better to fit in more bags and different bag pockets, not just fit well in your cycling bag. I just think they could have made it smaller without reducing the size for earbuds.

But what is not subjective is the cheap quality feel of the case. It just feels and looks cheaply made, if you look at the hinge that is.

May 29, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #288 of 2,173
…And I was hopping to upgrade my UTWS5 with this… not that I need it, but to have one extra and if I like it more sell the Fiio. To this point, after reading all this thread, the iFi product cost to much and offers very little.

May 29, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #289 of 2,173
The shape of the case is subjective. I happen to own a lot of bags, multiple slings, messengers, cycling bags and backpacks, so a more symmetrical smoother design would just be better to fit in more bags and different bag pockets, not just fit well in your cycling bag. I just think they could have made it smaller without reducing the size for earbuds.

But what is not subjective is the cheap quality feel of the case. It just feels and looks cheaply made, if you look at the hinge that is.
I'm not sure that owning a lot of bags makes a difference, I too own a fair few bags and not just a cycling bag. Whether it's symmetrical or not makes little difference.
Like I said we'll have to agree to disagree. I like the case you and you don't, I don't think your symmetrical issues are an issue but it's just an opinion

As for the build quality, it's fine by me, I've had worse cases for products.
I agree on the hinge but not convinced it would break after a drop or two.

May 29, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #290 of 2,173
I'm not sure that owning a lot of bags makes a difference, I too own a fair few bags and not just a cycling bag. Whether it's symmetrical or not makes little difference.
Like I said we'll have to agree to disagree. I like the case you and you don't, I don't think your symmetrical issues are an issue but it's just an opinion

As for the build quality, it's fine by me, I've had worse cases for products.
I agree on the hinge but not convinced it would break after a drop or two.
Its' about the smooth and rounded design. Sharper edges/corners get caught on things. Also if something is symmetrical, it's guaranteed to fit into a pocket any way you put it in, not just one way sometimes.

May 29, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #291 of 2,173
…And I was hopping to upgrade my UTWS5 with this… not that I need it, but to have one extra and if I like it more sell the Fiio. To this point, after reading all this thread, the iFi product cost to much and offers very little.
I've been tempted by the UTWS5 for a while but was put off by the issues highlighted in the dedicated thread.
Its' about the smooth and rounded design. Sharper edges/corners get caught on things. Also if something is symmetrical, it's guaranteed to fit into a pocket any way you put it in, not just one way sometimes.
There are no sharp edges! It might not be rounded and smooth but it's certainly not got sharp edges.
I can get the case in any pocket I've tried with no issue

May 29, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #292 of 2,173
Another issue: if you change the codec to AptX from LDAC, everytime you take the Go pods out of the case, they revert back to LDAC.

May 29, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #293 of 2,173
Maybe it's just this pair because now the left cuts out repeatedly no matter what codec. The right is perfect. These will go back to bloom.. defective on arrival

May 29, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #294 of 2,173
I've been tempted by the UTWS5 for a while but was put off by the issues highlighted in the dedicated thread.

There are no sharp edges! It might not be rounded and smooth but it's certainly not got sharp edges.
I can get the case in any pocket I've tried with no issue
I never had an issue with mine in two years. Truth is that I don’t use them daily and I haven’t done any updates in that time( that I know).

May 29, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #295 of 2,173
Looking forward to your impressions!
Well, the day was consumed with mowing and other yard work, so did not get a chance to do any in depth comparisons between the Go Pod and BTR7. But I did a little bit on a few songs (limited to testing with my Aful Performer 5 and Samsung S22 with LDAC).

My initial impression is that the BTR7 is much warmer compared to the Go Pod, and the bass on the BTR7 is much more impactful with more sub bass. Having said that, the bass on the Go Pod is better quality, with the BTR7 just coming across a little flabby by comparison. The Go Pod seem to give a clearer sound (probably because it is not as warm). If I can figure out how to adjust the filters on the Go Pod I will see how the sound changes.

Both have decent range (>70 ft). I did not test to failure, just as far as it was convenient for me to test in my house.

There has been some discussion of the Go Pod case size. Yeah, it is probably unnecessarily big, but I suspect that even a smaller box that could accommodate the Go Pod and IEMs would not be pocketable. I think the box design will probably be a little polarizing, but to me it is fine and as I don’t foresee needing to keep this in a pocket I am fine. If I have a need for a pocketable solution, I have a lot of TWS I can carry with me in those cases.

The lack of an app for the Go Pod is… well, it is… ok, just inexcusable. This gives the BTR7 a huge advantage - even for basic things like OTA updates, gain setting, EQ, filters, etc… iFi, I really hope you will close this gap eventually.

OK, so no real conclusions so far, just observations. I like the convenience of the Go Pod, and I like the clean sound of the Go Pod. Really happy with the purchase. But I really also like the BTR7, and expect to use it whenever wired IEMs are called for.

More later :)

(For completeness, all of my observations have been done connecting the Go Pod to my Samsung S22, LDAC, and streaming from Tidal. Genres include Country, Pop, and Classical).

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #296 of 2,173
Well, the day was consumed with mowing and other yard work, so did not get a chance to do any in depth comparisons between the Go Pod and BTR7. But I did a little bit on a few songs (limited to testing with my Aful Performer 5 and Samsung S22 with LDAC).

My initial impression is that the BTR7 is much warmer compared to the Go Pod, and the bass on the BTR7 is much more impactful with more sub bass. Having said that, the bass on the Go Pod is better quality, with the BTR7 just coming across a little flabby by comparison. The Go Pod seem to give a clearer sound (probably because it is not as warm). If I can figure out how to adjust the filters on the Go Pod I will see how the sound changes.

Both have decent range (>70 ft). I did not test to failure, just as far as it was convenient for me to test in my house.

There has been some discussion of the Go Pod case size. Yeah, it is probably unnecessarily big, but I suspect that even a smaller box that could accommodate the Go Pod and IEMs would not be pocketable. I think the box design will probably be a little polarizing, but to me it is fine and as I don’t foresee needing to keep this in a pocket I am fine. If I have a need for a pocketable solution, I have a lot of TWS I can carry with me in those cases.

The lack of an app for the Go Pod is… well, it is… ok, just inexcusable. This gives the BTR7 a huge advantage - even for basic things like OTA updates, gain setting, EQ, filters, etc… iFi, I really hope you will close this gap eventually.

OK, so no real conclusions so far, just observations. I like the convenience of the Go Pod, and I like the clean sound of the Go Pod. Really happy with the purchase. But I really also like the BTR7, and expect to use it whenever wired IEMs are called for.

Solid impressions.

Thanks for sharing. I've got my pre order in so hopefully it ships soon from HeadAmp. They had a memorial day discount, otherwise I would have gone with Bloom.

May 30, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #297 of 2,173

I think your impressions on sound shadow mine when comparing to the BTR7, I feel that Go Pods sit on the slightly warmer sound of neutral, Fiio less neutral but not as controlled.

May 30, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #299 of 2,173
I don't expect it to be small like a pair of TWS integrated buds, but I am wagering they could have trimmed this one down a bit more, maybe 10-20%. But it does feel cheap. I doubt it could take more than one maybe two drops ever before the hinge breaks.
At this price I'd expect Rolls Royce quality & functionality. I use a BTR5 currently with short balanced cable with my SE846's for cycling and works great for me as actual buttons easier to operate with gloves on too. If BTR7 sounds as good or better think that's the route for me, just waiting on Sony WF-1000XM5's now before I decide.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #300 of 2,173
Review Yet ? I'm keen to know BTR7 vs pods
I won’t do a review. (my writing skills are not great, and my ability to describe sound is atrocious), but my early impressions are in the post above (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...wireless-sound-on-the-go.967797/post-17581524). I will keep adding to my observations over the coming days, and hopefully others will as well!

I might summarize my impressions as: excellent build, excellent range, clean sound (w/LDAC), very comfortable (these are the first of this form factor I have ever used and I was worried about how comfortable these would be). Disappointing lack of an app - this is really a huge gap, in my opinion. To my ears, though others like @McCol might hear it differently, the BTR7 SQ is fuller and warmer compared to Go Pod being a bit cleaner and leaner. The BTR7’s app (not to mention the even better Qudelix 5K app) gives the BTR7 a big edge in living with the product. Lack of ambient mode in the Go Pod is another gap, though of course we don’t have that with a dongle style product either, so not a differentiator between the Go Pod and BTR7.

So far I am really happy that I have both - Go Pod will be my go to when I need a TWS option but don’t care about the lack of ANC ot ambient mode (when I need those features I have several TWS to choose from). BTR7 will stay in my rotation especially since it can also drive many of my easier to drive over ears.

(For completeness, all of my observations have been done connecting the Go Pod to my Samsung S22, LDAC, and streaming from Tidal. Genres include Country, Pop, and Classical).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back