If You Want Good Here It Is!!!!!
Aug 25, 2003 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Schizorabbit

Head-Fier
Ever heard of Shun? Well now you have. They are a divinely beatufiul band. One of the only bands that has bothered to put emotion into their music. After listeneing to songs like 'Difference' and 'Every One Here Is Sleeping', you too will feel the melancholic emotion of love, lust, and lost migling together in an undeniably gorgeous fashion. But what do they sound like? Nothing you've ever heard, and if anyone has heard someting like them please feel free to post. Shun is like the band Dredg, in that they just can't be classified. By default I'm sure they're grouped in with rock, but that is an overly simple definition. Just because they use a rock insturmentation set up does not mean they are in fact rock. And if one were to classify it, it would have to be rock on barbituates having an absolutley fantastic low. But enough said, start listening!!!!!
CLICK HERE ---> http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/180/shun1.html

PS: If anyone knows where you can buy the album Michael In Reign by Shun Please list.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 17
OK, first of all.

"One of the only bands that has bothered to put emotion into their music."

Never, ever, say that again!
Now, let me elaborate. Every band puts emotion in their music. To quote my grade 12 English teacher, "That is like reading a poem and saying it has imagery."

Dude, now, the music is good. But, it's rock. It's actually emo. It can be even more stringently labelled as "Emo-core". But, these days, with bands like Dashboard Confessional avoiding the most innocuous of labels, why should Shun be any different? Now, I've liked some bands in my day, and some I have even taken to extolling their melodic virtues to all who care to have open ears, but frankly, and I mean this with the best intentions: every band is unique, and good, and nice, and cool, and WICKED, and SICK, and, like, WHOA, dude. Shun is no different.

With the advent of such worldwide enterprises as mp3.com, medicore bands like Shun will get the minimal exposure they deserve, and their band members will disperse after several months, or, if they're lucky to get some sort of record deal, years, and then, when being interviewed for their job at the bank or post office, will be asked to take out the piercings and shave off the six-foot mohawk, and will join the world, like the rest of us.

In conclusion,

"Your eyes are like fire,
And your hair like tears,
The love I feel for you,
Is more than it appears"

and so on, because every emo lyric is identical.

Aug 26, 2003 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 17
sigh... emo...

hahahhahahha.... freaking emo.

edit: i guess i'll add that i like emo. and it's emo-core step child. i just can't take it too seriously.

Aug 26, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 17
What are you guys even talking about? I've heard emo, quite a bit, I own many emo albums, but this is no standard 'emo' album as you say. I say you are too quick to judge. Their sound is way too distinct to be classified in such a way. And don't say that EVERY band puts emotion into their lyrics and music, it's just not true. Look at all of those manufactured bands, that come together for a company, that sound how the company want them to and does what ever else they want them to do. I mean come on. Just about every band heard on the radio has sold out, and perhaps they do put emotion into their music, but if I can't hear that emotion or feel it while I'm listening to it then what good is it? It's lost and wasted studio time. Shun is one of the only bands since Rage Against the Machine where in I actually feel the emotions they form into sound. It's just that cut and dry.

Aug 26, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Schizorabbit
Just about every band heard on the radio has sold out, and perhaps they do put emotion into their music, but if I can't hear that emotion or feel it while I'm listening to it then what good is it? It's lost and wasted studio time. Shun is one of the only bands since Rage Against the Machine where in I actually feel the emotions they form into sound. It's just that cut and dry.

Thanks for letting us know that the world revolves around you. I must have been out of the office when you sent that memo around.

- Chris

Aug 27, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 17
Are you willing to say that most radio bands haven't sold out? Unless you are then this isn't a matter of me having thE universal opinion it's simply a matter of me being right. I'll readily accept the fact that people have different musical tastes and one of the main reasons corporations have band sell out is because the majority of people like the sound produced, this is not in question. Whether or not the music is emotionally charged is. And it is my belief that a band who lets their sound become so altered by outside opinions and direction so as their original 'sound' is no longer represented, then I believe there has been a great falling out between that artist(s) and their music, who ever that may be. And consequential to this 'falling out' happens to be a loss of the voice that the band most likeley worked so hard to construct.

(And by the by, I do beleive your statement regarding my first was just as dictatorial in statement as mine, simply in a different direction.)

Aug 29, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #9 of 17
That's not the point! Even bands like Creed and Limp Bizkit put "emotion" in their music, despite selling their souls to the Warner or Universal devils long ago! Evanescence, one of the more, as you call it, "manufactured" bands I've ever heard, puts out some of the most gut-wrenching music I've had the pleasure of listening to in a while. Even Avril Lavigne, the Queen of Pop Princess, sounds like she means it in her song, "I'm with You". Now, this doesn't necessarily mean that I like their music, but your classification of this sort of music, based on its "emotional" varient, is flawed, and you basically sound like a snobby, pseudo-rebellious teenager who is only now discovering that their are several levels of music. But, your view is restricted to "indie" and "sellout", or those that (hahahaha) put, *snicker*, emotion in their music, and those that *hahahahahahaha* do not.

Christ, grow up and realize that it's not so cut-and-dry. Not all that is on the radio is bad, and not every indie, emo-core, "My life sucks cuz o' the girl" band is emotional fertile.

Aug 29, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 17
no, those might not be sell-outs (the man said "just about every", not "every and all"
rolleyes.gif
). they just don't put emotion in their music.
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 29, 2003 at 3:08 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Trounce
"Your eyes are like fire,
And your hair like tears,
The love I feel for you,
Is more than it appears"

Pure truth.

Shun sounds like every other fruity band out there.

Aug 29, 2003 at 7:33 PM Post #13 of 17
I'm not open minded in my musical taste? I own everything from Duke Ellington, Johnny Cash, Led Zeppelin, Bach, Rage Against the Machine, Dropkick Murphys's,Dispatch, Tori Amos, In Flames (Swedish Death Metal), Tool, White Stripes, Eminem, Dead Prez warsawpack, Clann Zu, all the way up to dredg. And yet I have no sense of diversity? I set things into "indie" and "sellout" What are you saying? I'm simply stating that when I feel emotion in music it's when the singer puts emotion into it, and when the singers or instrumentalists spend literally years working a sound out, touring and finally getting recognised they have literaly put sweat & EMOTION into their music, but then when they are finally "realised" and forced to lose their sound or lose the contract, they lose the sound they worked so hard to achieve (I wish I had a link to some pre-CD released Trapt to compare to some CD version Trapt to help demonstrate the point). Furthermore I am not saying nor have I ever said that any band is BAD, all I have said is that the majority of bands I hear on the radio don't sound (sound being completley subjective, a fundamental element Trounce neglects to take into consideration during my review of the musical fields) like they put emotion into their music (and Trounce I do wish you would keep in mind that I am simply stating opinion here, it's not like I've tried to carve out the 11th Commandment). In short I will end with a quote from The Duke that I have posted numerous times when debating musical taste: "If it sounds good, it is good".

Aug 29, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #14 of 17
Which is more important to you- the emotion musicians put into their music or the emotions you feel listening to it?

What does it take for you to think that an artist has put emotion into their work? Do they need to shove it down your throat like Hootie and the Blowfish? That guy sang like he was about to cry at any moment. I'm sure he put emotion in but it just made me want to toss my lunch.

What about an electronic group that uses nothing but cold, flat samples and artificial drums to create a song? On the surface, there is no emotion present but it could possibly raise a lot of emotions in the listener.

To me, the group you posted about originally doesn't raise any particular emotion. It sounds to me like every other 'non-emotional' group that is played on radio. They cover emotional topics, but its not doing anything for me.

As a graduate of art school, I've learned first hand the difference between what you create and how people percieve it. Often, it differs dramatically. With music, it can easily be night and day. A song that is about a terrible tragedy can be playing nearby the first time you kissed your girl/boyfriend. The artist intended it to be dark and sad but every time you hear it, you smile.

As a listener, you really need to understand the emotions are coming from you and not from what the artist put in. And saying a band is good based on the fact that you feel they play emotionally [remember Hootie] is often irrelevent to others as we all feel things differently.

I think this thread would be better served with more explanation about why you feel the way you do about them. A discussion about why we like things is going to be more fruitful than what things we like.

Aug 30, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 17
You're stressing subjectivity and to-each-his-own frame of mind, yet you entitled this thread, "If you want GOOD Here it is!" Now, I know I'm pushing buttons and treading on ridiculous, but you have not yet understood that there is a vast and opaque gradient that lines the walls of musical appreciation, and you're completely eliminating it by cornering your music tastes into a single bracket. I don't mean the actual artists, but rather your ability to appreciate said artists.

You know, I'm very glad for you that you can like an eclectic mix of straggling and struggling artists, as well as those who have not yet reached the fame they may (according to you) deserve. I don't give a damn about your likes or dislikes; only because, as Mike so intently pointed out, you've tried to ram it down our throats, and then when I've completely and utterly destroyed your argument, you got defensive and combative.

As I said before, enjoy what you want, whether they have "emotion" or not, but open your eyes to what the real matter at hand is: you don't understand that different artists appeal to different people. As Mike, again, said so well: you may find emotion in the clanking of a tin can against a brick wall, and I the sound of my urine against the still water. It's all relative to your personality and your situation. Sure, Shun may be lively and enthusiastic, but if I have no emotional connection to their lyrics, their sound, their consonance, then they are nothing to me but puerile noise-makers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back