If you think the 484 is king, think again!
Apr 17, 2003 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

krayzie

500+ Head-Fier
Okay I'm ever more serious this time... I've finally found something better overall than the Sony E484 and Aiwa D9 in open-air design form (i.e. not canalphones like the Ety's and Shure's)... The Aiwa D9 is a different beast and can't be compared to the 484 readily...

I've got my two earphones today in the mail:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...016541196&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...016542950&rd=1

First impression testing with my D-777...

The Aiwa HP-V9 is truly the most balanced sounding earphone I've ever owned... It combines the ultimate clear highs of the HP-D9, the super bassy lows of the MDR-E484, yet eliminates the raw brightness and the bloated darkness at both ends of the spectrum... The V9 has quick yet pounding bass with its Sound GT amorphous diamond (I would suspect after comparing the Technics and Aiwa boxes, can't read Japanese that well) 15mm drivers, and the details are just another tiny notch above the D9 (I also suspect these LC-OFC equipped babies can go all the way from 15Hz upto 40,000Hz as the box claims)... The V9 sounds somewhat similar to the Senns HD-580 I heard at a local Hi-Fi store a few days earlier, but just more presence lifted with the V9... priced at 5200yen and bought in the 80s I think but reads Japanese year '63 (could someone translate this to "normal years" please?) Other specs are 16Ohms, 105db/mW, rated at 10mW and maximum 40mW...

The Technics on the other hand had some bass distortion problems in the beginning... after numerous pounding against the table and blowing air inside with my mouth, they seem to work correctly now... anyhow these are really weird looking, had one hell of a time figuring out how to fit these into my ears, with a 19mm bass driver along with separate 11mm tweezer on each side... I can recognize the words evapourated which suggests probably sapphire evapourated drivers, also LC-OFC wires equipped (says on box they are 99.996% pure)... the bass drivers have 18K plated gold outside (also read from the box with my limited Japanese knowledge, I usually relate the traditional characters with my Chinese background)... The Technics make use of "2 Way 3D / Double Drive / Direct Port" design which really gives this funny concert hall feeling... the bass are nothing I've ever heard before, seems surround sound like... the highs are quite amazing too even due to the narrow 6Hz - 25,000Hz specs... the bass are not pounding like the 484 at all, and the highs are also not raw like... another balanced set I've got here... but the details are not that superb compare to the Aiwas I own... these were priced at 10,000yen and bought on the same day at the same Tokyo store (as read on their warranty cards)... Other specs are 28Ohms, maximum 50mW...

Anyhow, just first impressions so far... I know most of you don't quite care about them since they are rare and not widely known... but just thought you guys might want to know... old Japanese earphones are great! Really! Now more than ever I know why the 888 are considered "nothing" by many owners of older models...

Apr 17, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 13
Krayzie,
So do you think this two are better than the E484? If "yes" I'm glad that you'd found a new king of earbuds.
Keep us post!
Purk

Apr 17, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 13
Crap, the bass driver on the left side of the Technics is kinda dead... argh!!! this sucks, now the left side have no bass at all...

Apr 17, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 13
Krayzie,
Sorry to hear dude......keep me update.

Purk

Apr 17, 2003 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 13
damn!! i want those too! why can't i find them on ebay? i keep checking ebay for those kinds of old bloody phones very frenquently. but i never find one. is that any technique searching them?

Apr 17, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 13
hey, dude. very sorry about the dying new phone, really!
i saw ya phone gallery, and that's fabulous incredible. are you
intending to sell some of those since you have so many?

Apr 17, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 13
Anywayz I guess I'll just keep the cord and donate it to Tina since I owe her a LC-OFC cord from last time with the broken D9...

ARGH!!! The Aiwa works great still... thank goodness...

Apr 17, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 13
Oh in my gallery, none of those in the pictures are mine lol! I wish... but I do have some of those...

Apr 17, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #9 of 13
how about the v9 v99 d9 and 484 or whatever?
wink.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2003 at 8:55 AM Post #11 of 13
LOL!

Apr 17, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 13
Krayzie,
The A1000 sounds very good too.....I'm very impressed with my new/used closed phone! Anyway, I hope Tina will love her new cord.

Purk

Apr 17, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 13
Holy crap man, second day with the Aiwa HP-V9, the sound is getting more refined by the hour as I'm studying while listening... I can honestly say I'm beginning to hear subtle flaws in some of my self-burned cloned original CDs when using the D-777... gee this is overkill... and the deeper bass of before has been tamed a bit after a day already, burn in effect probably... The mids and highs are just out of this world, I don't know how to describe it, the V9 just smokes the D9 by a few miles... If I want bass somewhat like the 484, I'll just add the earpads... but that's not my cup of tea... The V9's bass is pretty competent, I can't use Mega Bass level 2 just like with the 484, would make the sound all screwed with a nuclear explosion feel...

Wow I shouldn't have said the V9 sucks before when I saw the nickel plug in the picture on eBay... And these earphones are TINY! they are the size of my crappy sounding Aiwa HP-01... where do the huge sound come from I have no clue...

I need to demo a pair of HD600 soon to compare... The V9 indeed sounds very similar to the HD580 I tried the other day, but without the stiff headband forcing the earpads onto my ear...

Is the A1000 AKG or Audio Technica? hehe forgive my limited knowledge in headphones... Hi-Fi stores around Toronto sucks, they have such narrowed range of choices...

On a side note, as I've said before, I think the Grado RS-2 I demo is nothing spectacular even compare to these Aiwa babies... or something wrong with my ears when I still believe the SR-80 sounded better lol!

Hope Tina wouldn't think my "birthday present" is kinda gay... <Tina> What gave me a cord?!?! haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back